PDA

View Full Version : Where to find tiny wood screws?

Gene McCluney
30-May-2007, 18:26
I need some teensy-tiny wood screws, but longish. About a Number 2 screw, but inch, inch and a half long. For old view camera replacement use. Any ideas where to find them Lowes doesn't have them, local Ace hardware doesn't have them.

Michael Mutmansky
30-May-2007, 18:28
www.smallparts.com is one place to look.

www.mcmaster.com is another.

---Michael

Keith Pitman
30-May-2007, 18:38
Try a good Ace hardware. I've found a number of tiny size brass screws at the one near me. Also, in Denver area we have a place called "Fasteners, Inc." You may have something like that near you. They have stuff you couldn't imagine.

Ron Marshall
30-May-2007, 18:44
Lee Valley Tools is a good place to deal with:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p=40960&cat=3,41306,41334&ap=1

Dave Parker
30-May-2007, 18:44
I buy all of my stuff at the local Ace, which is very well stocked on this type of stuff.

Dave

John Powers
30-May-2007, 19:01
Another source www.ReidSupply.com

John

Hiro
30-May-2007, 19:10
Another souce is Micro Fasteners: http://www.microfasteners.com/.
I recently bought some micro machine screws from them--a wide variety, good prices, and fast shipping, although I'm not sure if there's #2 that long.

Walter Calahan
30-May-2007, 19:38
Thanks for all the great resources. My Ace, True Value, Lowe's and Home Despot don't have these long small sizes either. This is very helpful info.

Glenn Thoreson
30-May-2007, 20:17
Http://www.rockler.com carries some tiny brass wood screws, but I don't know if they have any that long. That is probably going to be hard to find.

Paul Metcalf
30-May-2007, 21:26
1/2-inch is the longest you'll find in this size (pan head). Are you looking for slotted pan-head? Are the originals that long, or are you trying to "bite" into new wood by going longer? Remember, you can fill existing holes that have become oversized due to age by using a toothpick, breaking it off after inserting into the hole with some wood/elmers glue. Make a centering dimple using a small pointed tool, and let sit for a bit. Then insert original screw and don't over tighten.

ggbushaw
31-May-2007, 21:50
If screws like that are available anywhere, Tacoma Screw Products is likely to have them. Their website isn't much, but they have very helpful folks on the phone (1-800-562-8192).

John Schneider
1-Jun-2007, 08:48
Speaking from experience looking for much odder fasteners, go right to McMaster. Don't even bother messing around with anyone else (although Small Parts has a lot, they're more expensive and take longer to ship, as they only have one warehouse in FL). E.g., 15 seconds of searching the McMaster website turned up that they have 6 varieties of 2-56 x 1.5 machine screws. And if you want anything longer, you'll probably have to go to 2-56 threaded rod with two nuts.

Paul Metcalf
1-Jun-2007, 09:41
...go right to McMaster. Don't even bother messing around with anyone else ...machine screws...threaded rod with two nuts. :confused: While I agree McMaster should be on everyone's list of places for stuff, he's looking for wood screws, and McMaster has #2 (pan-head) up to 1/2 inch length, like anyone else who carries small wood screws.

Bernard Kaye
1-Jun-2007, 14:43
I tried Elliott's Hardware in Plano, Texas, the end-all of hardware stores in this area, may now be a True Value store: they did not have anything that narrow. I think you are looking for a German or European concept of a small wood screw. If you find this, please email me at eviebob@tx.rr.com

Paul's idea is what I do; do not put in a longer screw unless you are certain that it will not come through to other side or weaken or split the wood. Bernie

Alan Davenport
1-Jun-2007, 14:51
See if you have a nearby hobby store; the kind that deal with radio controlled model airplane nuts.

Don O'Neil
21-Jul-2007, 16:57
The following site lists #2 wood flat head screws but 5/8" was longest I found.

Just Google "miniature tiny wood screws" and you will find a few more sites.

http://www.armorplans.com/hardware.htm

Don

Jody_S
2-Apr-2020, 08:26
I got a box of #2 brass wood screws from the local hardware store known for that type of stuff, there were 96 in the only box they had so I brushed 50 years' dust off the box and paid for 100 screws ($4). Cheaper than ordering from anyone. Smaller wood screws are hard to find, metal/plastic screws used in electronics are much more common.

Drew Bedo
3-Apr-2020, 14:34
I need some teensy-tiny wood screws, but longish. About a Number 2 screw, but inch, inch and a half long. For old view camera replacement use. Any ideas where to find them Lowes doesn't have them, local Ace hardware doesn't have them.

Woodcrafter . . .Rocklear?

Greg
3-Apr-2020, 15:19
Every now and then up for auction will be a bunch of worn out wooded view camera parts. Usually the opening bid will be the winning bid. Ask the seller if they can ship it via the cheapest way possible, USPS "parcel post", I think the USPS calls it something else now. You might get lucky and get a whole bunch of small screws and miscellaneous brass parts. I once picked up a box of Improved Empire State view camera parts for only a few dollars. The wood was shot but not the brass and other metal parts.

Drew Wiley
3-Apr-2020, 15:27
Go McMaster if they have them. Being an industrial supplier, they tend to buy specification grade alloys, and properly describe the items. Hardware stores nowadays mostly have low-bid cheap quality, although I once ran one over 40 yrs ago that had an incredible selection, catering to machinists, mechanics, and furniture makers. Hobby shops generally carry tiny wood screws. The problem with miniature brass screws is that they have so little tensile strength; look for bronze instead, which is more a marine specialty. Most of those chain type stores sell hardware of such wretched import quality that decent English can't be used. Anything tiny and strong generally has to be steel. The reason long #2 screws are hard to find is that they tend to snap off. Can't you use some other form of joinery? For example, miniature steel or brass dowels can be epoxied in.

seall
3-Apr-2020, 15:44
try google "Micro Self Tapping Brass"

Drew Wiley
3-Apr-2020, 16:08
I use a Grex micro-pinner and stainless pins for a number of things. Works best in hardwoods, but in any case, is meant to be supplemental to glue. I doubt "self-tapping brass" would self-tap anything harder than butter on a warm day. In all such cases, pre-drilling a correct diameter pilot hole is mandatory. With most hardwoods, you might even break off miniature drills bits if they aren't high-quality cobalt steel. That isn't a random prediction, by the way. One more reason to shop McMaster or some other serious supplier. I even keep on hand a high quality high-RPM air drill to get small bits into hardwood fast fast before the alloy overheats. Resinous tropical hardwoods can break bits like crazy if they aren't heat-resistant cobalt.

seall
3-Apr-2020, 17:29
I use a Grex micro-pinner and stainless pins for a number of things. Works best in hardwoods, but in any case, is meant to be supplemental to glue. I doubt "self-tapping brass" would self-tap anything harder than butter on a warm day. In all such cases, pre-drilling a correct diameter pilot hole is mandatory. With most hardwoods, you might even break off miniature drills bits if they aren't high-quality cobalt steel. That isn't a random prediction, by the way. One more reason to shop McMaster or some other serious supplier. I even keep on hand a high quality high-RPM air drill to get small bits into hardwood fast fast before the alloy overheats. Resinous tropical hardwoods can break bits like crazy if they aren't heat-resistant cobalt.

Much the same, I like to secure bits of hardwood with micro spectacle screws after creating a hole win a cobalt pin drill, these type of fasteners are very inexpensive on the bay. I think they are better than brass self tappers as they take a good grip in a hardwood hole of the right diameter. Sometimes a little glue on the thread if they are permanent.

Bernice Loui
3-Apr-2020, 19:50
Suggest using a type A thread stainless steel sheet metal screw. These work very good in wood.

https://www.mcmaster.com/sheet-metal-screws/screw-size~no--2/tip-type~pointed/

Bernice

Barry Kirsten
3-Apr-2020, 21:28
I get mine from China via eBay. Just put in the size you want... lots of choice.

sdean7855
22-Sep-2021, 09:38
#2 X 1" Nickel Plated Steel Round Head Wood Screw
https://www.tone-kraft.com/2-x-1-nickel-plated-round-head-wood-screw/
Ditto brass flat head
https://www.americanintegratedsupply.com/details/item?itemid=SWFSB002101000

Rod Klukas
22-Sep-2021, 14:05
Go to a good hobby store that has a electric train section.
Walthers is also a good source and have a great catalog of small hardware and tools. Walthers.com

Hope this helps.

Rod