PDA

View Full Version : Artixscan 2500F

Doug Dolde
28-May-2007, 11:43
I received a new/used 2500F yesterday. It appears to be in perfect condition with all accessories, software, manual etc intact. However I am having a problem. Neither the Microtek software (latest download) nor Silverfast can find the scanner.

I have it connected with a Firewire cable and the computer does "see" the scanner in the Device Manager (Windows XP). But the software can't find it. Any clues ? Nothing else seems to be wrong. All the lights come on and it cycles making some noises (normal I think) on startup.

Ken Lee
28-May-2007, 15:54
I have a 2500F, and with Windows, I need to reboot the computer in order for it to discover the scanner. Have you tried that ? It's best to plug everything in, turn on the scanner... and then restart Windows.

An alternative is to make sure that your Firewire board is correctly installed and functioning properly.

Doug Dolde
28-May-2007, 16:21
Tried that quite a few times. The Firewire card works with other items OK.

Ken Lee
28-May-2007, 17:00
Did you contact the person from whom you got the scanner ? Are you sure that the scanner is in good working order ?

Another option is to try the scanner on a different computer, and also to try another brand of scanner software, like VueScan.

Are you trying to drive the scanner from within Photoshop, or some other program ?

Gene McCluney
28-May-2007, 17:00
I have found scanners are finicky. I have a 2500f, as well as other firewire scanners. I plug the scanner into a firewire port directly. Do not daisy-chain with any other device such as external hard drive, or external disc burner. I find the Silverfast software works best for me. I have a Mac.

sparq
28-May-2007, 19:46
Try it with a different PC. I have one Thinkpad that refuses to work with a Nikon LS4000ED. All other machines I have work with this scanner like charm except for that cursed one.

Oren Grad
28-May-2007, 21:24
Another thing to check: I have a Microtek i800, and it takes a long time to advance through its warmup and self-check to the point where the software can recognize that it's there. I've gotten in the habit of turning on the scanner well in advance, while I'm working on other things, so that it will be ready when I want to scan. Also, I don't load the software until after the scanner has settled down.

Revival Brent
28-May-2007, 21:25
Have you tried manually to install it by going through the hardware wizard and pointing it specifically to the correct driver? It is sometimes the only way. Also, if it was semi-recognized by XP, sometimes the only thing you can do is delete it from your Device Manager, then reboot and let XP find it again. Windows can still be pretty picky about the order in which things are done, so you may have to try re-ordering the steps until you find the right combo.

Good Luck.

Ed Richards
29-May-2007, 06:29
Download the free trial of Vuescan and see if it can find it. Let it install its generic scanner driver.

Doug Dolde
29-May-2007, 06:44
Thanks for all the advice. I am still trying...hope I can get it solved as it appears to be a great machine. (Vuescan can't find it either)

Tried the SCSI route...same thing. Must be the wrong driver there are about 5 choices,

Bob McCarthy
31-May-2007, 14:19
Is this the one that was on ebay recently. It got pulled early. Good catch.

Bob

Doug Dolde
2-Jun-2007, 11:42
I never could get it working on my machine (PC) although the person I bought it from told me she had it running fine on her Mac G4 recently without a hitch. Consequently, I have listed it on Ebay but with no guarantees. However the perfect set of five filmholders alone are worth the starting price.

Bob McCarthy
2-Jun-2007, 19:22
sent you a PM,

bob

archivue
3-Jun-2007, 04:52
you should test it on a mac G4... if it works, buy you a G4 tower !

GRMorgan
12-Jun-2007, 08:42
I echo Oren Grad's comment. I have a Microtek i900 and the software will not recognize that the scanner is there until its been on and gone through its warm up for several minutes. Sometimes I have to reboot the Mac to make it work. It always works eventually though.

Hope this helps.

Geoff Morgan

JavaDuke
12-Jun-2007, 09:21
Not sure if this is related byt my SCSI scanner is not recognized until I right-click on "My Computer" icon, select "Properties", then "Hardware" tab, press "Device Manager" button and then right-click on the top item in the tree (it's the computer icon with your computer name) and select "Scan for hardware changes". It takes few seconds and then the scanner icon becomes visible under Control Panel -> Scanners and Cameras. Then Silverfast and other scanning software will be able to communicate with scanner.
Needless to say, I hate Windows...

Larry Menzin
14-Jun-2007, 06:53
Unfortunately, I bought this item on EBay from Doug Dolde before seeing this thread. He represented this item as "untested" in the auction, which is a total falsehood. I would think that the people on this board are honest and ethical, but apparently we've been polluted by swindlers. I made an effort to contact the seller, but he has not responded.

The scanner should arrive this weekend, and if it does not work, I'll provide a complete fraud report concerning this seller on both this board and other forums that Dolde appears on. Needless to say, both PayPal buyer protection and my credit card company will be involved.

Larry

I never could get it working on my machine (PC) although the person I bought it from told me she had it running fine on her Mac G4 recently without a hitch. Consequently, I have listed it on Ebay but with no guarantees. However the perfect set of five filmholders alone are worth the starting price.

Marko
14-Jun-2007, 07:21
Whoa, hold on a sec!

Don't you think it's a bit premature to talk about fraud, swindling, honesty and disputes with PayPal and Credit Cart and what not before you even receive the goods in question?

How long has it been since you contacted Doug and he "has not responded"? A day? Two days?

And how exactly do you perceive the word "untested" if you call this "a falsehood"?
"Untested" means just that - that the item in question was not tested. Nothing more and nothing less. It may work or it may not. The way I read this, he received it from somebody for whom the scanner worked just fine and what he is saying here is that he can't make his computer see the scanner and that he could not test it because of it. Hence "untested".

Did you even consider waiting until the scanner arrives and you actually test it and then maybe giving the seller a few days (like two or even three, maybe) to respond before you start throwing big words around in public?

And before you fire off a few more choice words, I don't know Doug other than through this board where we've had more fights than we agreed on something. I am not saying that either of you is right of wrong. What I am saying is to hold your horses until you try out the equipment you just bought (after careful thinking, I assume)... Then try to contact the seller if you have problems/questions and give him a couple of days to respond. And only THEN start complaining if you think you should.

Not just or not even primarily for his sake, but to be taken seriously yourself when you do.

Larry Menzin
14-Jun-2007, 07:32
Marko,

"Untested" usually means someone gets a lot of equipment from a studio closure or business bankruptcy and does not have the means to test it. This is clearly not the case here. The seller repeatedly tried to get this item to work and failed to get it to work. He then put it up on Ebay as untested. I have a real problem with that. I believe it is dishonest.

Larry

tim atherton
14-Jun-2007, 07:45
I also had an in depth email back and forth with Doug before the auction making arrangements that he would ship to Canada if I won the auction - which was agreed to - then I was blocked from bidding... which didn't seem exactly kosher

Marko
14-Jun-2007, 08:37
Larry and Tim,

To be perfectly clear - I do not defend Doug here, I will let him speak (and act) for himself.

All I am saying is: use a little common sense and hold off the big words until after you've exhausted all possible avenues.

Larry:

"Untested" IMO means just that - that somebody was not able to test the equipment for whatever reason. The fact that Doug unsuccessfully tried to get it to work does not automatically mean that the item is faulty. It does not mean it isn't either. What it means is that he was unable to get it to work with his computer and his knowledge. That also means that he does not have (proper) means to test it (your definition), unless he went on to acquire additional computer(s), which would be highly unrealistic, given the value of the scanner.

He says, and I believe him until proven otherwise, that the same scanner worked just fine for the person he got it from, on a different computer. I just don't see it as dishonest at all.

But if you insist on calling that "dishonest", how would you characterize complaining about the performance of the device you bought as "untested" and which you haven't even received yet?

Larry Menzin
14-Jun-2007, 08:49
Marko, If you want to do the hair-splitting routine, go for it. What is the meaning of the word "untested"? Is a BJ really sex?

The item was tested and failed. He tested it with both interfaces (SCSI and Firewire) and could not get it to work. All he had to say was that he couldn't get it to communicate with his particular configuration. On that basis I would have concluded that the item was faulty and would not have bid on it.

I am complaining because the item was misrepresented as untested when this thread proves otherwise. The timing is irrelevant. The honesty of his representation stands on its own.

[QUOTE=Marko;249418"Untested" IMO means just that - that somebody was not able to test the equipment for whatever reason. The fact that Doug unsuccessfully tried to get it to work does not automatically mean that the item is faulty. It does not mean it isn't either. What it means is that he was unable to get it to work with his computer and his knowledge. That essentially means that he does not have (proper) means to test it (your definition), unless he went on to acquire additional computer(s), which would be highly unrealistic, given the value of the scanner.

But if you insist on calling that "dishonest", how would you characterize complaining about the performance of the device you bought as "untested" and which you haven't even received yet?[/QUOTE]

Marko
14-Jun-2007, 09:43
Marko, If you want to do the hair-splitting routine, go for it. What is the meaning of the word "untested"? Is a BJ really sex?

Hair-splitting routine? Well. Whatever you think is right. I tried hard to explain what the meaning of the word is, but if you don't get it, you don't get it.

As for the last question, I don't know, you tell me - you're the one who bought the "untested" item off eBay... :rolleyes:

The item was tested and failed. He tested it with both interfaces (SCSI and Firewire) and could not get it to work. All he had to say was that he couldn't get it to communicate with his particular configuration. On that basis I would have concluded that the item was faulty and would not have bid on it.

And I maintain that you shouldn't jump into conclusions.

He tested it on a single computer and could not get it to work. The person he got it from had it working fine on a different computer. At least that's what he says here and I choose to believe him until proven otherwise.

From what little I know about experimental procedures, this is very far from proving that the scanner is faulty. It could as well be his computer, but it doesn't prove that either. He simply does not have the resources - i.e. he is unable - to test it properly.

I am complaining because the item was misrepresented as untested when this thread proves otherwise. The timing is irrelevant. The honesty of his representation stands on its own.

This thread proves nothing except the fact that he was unable to really test it.

Again, you can call it what you want, I just don't think it is right to call someone a fraudster based on unrealistic expectations or perhaps buyer's remorse and before you have even received the item in question, much less tested it on your own.

As far as I am concerned, I don't have anything else to add to this discussion. I said what I had to say and I will leave both you and Doug to worry about your integrity and sort this matter out.

Larry Menzin
15-Jun-2007, 13:41
As expected, the scanner arrived today DOA. My assumption is that the interface electronics are blown.

Dolde apparently purchased a non-functional scanner, tried to get it to work and failed, then put it up in EBay as "untested." It's your classic swindle. The entire sequence of events are documented on this thread.

I've emailed him a couple of times and have not gotten a response.

Deal with this seller at your peril.

Gene McCluney
15-Jun-2007, 14:32
Well, to get an unworking piece of equipment is a bummer. Considering this is a very fine scanner, particularly for those of us who do Large Format film, perhaps you should sit back and weigh the benefits to you from this scanner, if you were to have Microtek repair it? This model scanner seems to be hard to find. I have one and love it.

Bob McCarthy
16-Jun-2007, 03:21
Larry, I'm really, really sorry. I had a bad feeling after my experience.

Come on Doug, refund his money. It's not worth your rep being damaged more.

Bob

Doug Dolde
16-Jun-2007, 10:37
If it's anyone's business here (and I don't think it is), I have already given him a full refund.

Marko
16-Jun-2007, 12:46
If it's anyone's business here (and I don't think it is), I have already given him a full refund.

The complaint itself shouldn't have been posted here to begin with, IMO, at least not while the transaction was still in progress, but once it has been made public, then it became a matter of keeping the record straight.

Thanks for the follow-up anyway. It would've been much better if it were posted by the complaint originator, common courtesy or something along those lines, but oh, well...

Bob McCarthy
19-Jun-2007, 08:54
Whatever happened to the scanner? I am interested in acquiring and repairing, now that the broken or not issue is out of the way??

Bob

Larry Menzin
20-Jun-2007, 13:01
Update: The refund arrived today. I would like to state that when the issue of the DOA scanner was brought to Doug's attention, he promptly issued a refund and was more than fair in his handling of the matter.

Kudos to Doug! Anything said by me previously in this thread (in anger) is retracted.