PDA

View Full Version : Fuji lenses

Stefan Lungu
28-May-2007, 01:55
Hello,

I have been looking around for information on lenses lately in order to decide a way to build a lens lineup that would not break the bank and still give me the opportunity to shoot both 6x9 and 4x5 formats. That brings me to the necessity of getting a 65mm also in order to get a wide angle on 6x9. Looking around I found some Fujinon lenses, but I did not find too many opinions on Fujinon lenses in general. From browsing around this forum I noticed that the most wanted are the german lenses, where some opt for Rodenstock because there is no "Schneideritis" and very few options for japaneese lenses, exceptions being the two extremes of the Nikon, the 90mm and the 300mm. Are the other lenses really dogs, or is it down to personal preference ? Also, the different history of lenses from the german manufacturers are well documented, but not so for the japanese ones. For example, what is the difference between a Fujinon SW and a SWD ? Anyone with some insight on these lenses ?

Regards, Stefan

Matus Kalisky
28-May-2007, 02:35
OK, let me be the first to answer although there are guys here with MUCH more knowledge on Fujinon lenses.

To start with - the Fujinon lenses are great and on pair with Shneider or Rodenstock. Indeed - they are not so well know and tend to fetch lower prices on the used market.

You are right - a serious collection of age versus serial numbers is missing - the best to my knowledge is to be found on Kerry Thalmann (http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/fujinon.htm) web page . Kerry has much more information about different lenses on his webpage - have a look around.

The largest (to my knowledge) collection of information on Fujinon lenes is HERE (http://members.aol.com/subgallery/).

In short to answer your question about SW ans SWD fujinon lenses. SW lenses are f8 versions and SWD are f5.6 version. They have different optical design. Also SWD have larger coverage.

Do not overlook in the second link the fact how to recognize the single and multicoated leses. Singlecoated are usually mounted in Seiko shutters and the lens data are marked inside the filter thread. On the other hand the muticoated versions are usually mounted in Copal shutters and marked form outside on the lens barrel.

And a last comment - although different lenses can and do differ in their performance, there are no "dogs" among lenses, only among photographers ;)

God luck with your 65 - I think most of the people will confirm for yu that it is a fine lens. You want the SWD as it covers 177mm in comparison to SW (155mm).

Matus

Walter Calahan
28-May-2007, 05:04
Fujinon lens are great. They are in my 4x5 and 8x10 systems along side Nikon, Rodenstock and Schneider. They work flawlessly.

Capocheny
28-May-2007, 19:20
OK, let me be the first to answer although there are guys here with MUCH more knowledge on Fujinon lenses.

To start with - the Fujinon lenses are great and on pair with Shneider or Rodenstock. Indeed - they are not so well know and tend to fetch lower prices on the used market.

You are right - a serious collection of age versus serial numbers is missing - the best to my knowledge is to be found on Kerry Thalmann (http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/fujinon.htm) web page . Kerry has much more information about different lenses on his webpage - have a look around.

The largest (to my knowledge) collection of information on Fujinon lenes is HERE (http://members.aol.com/subgallery/).

In short to answer your question about SW ans SWD fujinon lenses. SW lenses are f8 versions and SWD are f5.6 version. They have different optical design. Also SWD have larger coverage.

Do not overlook in the second link the fact how to recognize the single and multicoated leses. Singlecoated are usually mounted in Seiko shutters and the lens data are marked inside the filter thread. On the other hand the muticoated versions are usually mounted in Copal shutters and marked form outside on the lens barrel.

And a last comment - although different lenses can and do differ in their performance, there are no "dogs" among lenses, only among photographers ;)

God luck with your 65 - I think most of the people will confirm for yu that it is a fine lens. You want the SWD as it covers 177mm in comparison to SW (155mm).

Matus

Matus,

Well stated! :)

I'm also of the same opinion that the Fujinons are fine lenses... certainly nothing wrong with them.

And, they seem to be a little bit more reasonably priced too. :>0

Cheers

Ron Marshall
28-May-2007, 19:28
I have two Fujinnon and they are on parr with my Nikon, Schneider and Rodenstock.

Dan Fromm
29-May-2007, 02:56
Um, er, ah, Stefan, Rodenstock's lenses also suffer from Schneideritis. Its not a bad problem, you shouldn't worry about it.

Matus Kalisky
29-May-2007, 04:57
I just forgot to add I am using Fujinon 125/5.6 CMW and I am very much pleased with it. I hope to get Fujinon A 240 (or A 180) one day. And I would indeed not say "NO" to SWD 75/5.6 although Nikkor SW 75/4.5 is expected to be a bit brighter..

steve simmons
29-May-2007, 08:25
View Camera had a very extensive article on Fuji lenses a few years ago which would still be a very good reference.

steve simmons

SAShruby
29-May-2007, 12:45
Almost all my lenses are Fujinon (except one Nikkor 450 and one Schneider 210 SA), old ones (lettering inside), single coated. From 210 to 600. I'm very satisfied with them.

Price, sometimes even more than 50% less for what you get such as Rodenstocks ot Schneiders. Excellent coverage. Sharp.

The only drawback is that some of them are heavy, but I'm willing to carry them anyway.

Andrew O'Neill
29-May-2007, 15:13
I found the 90SWD to give a bit more coverage than the SW when photographing railroad yards...

Tim Brazelton
30-May-2007, 09:14
I've got a Fujinon-W 150 f5.6 that I love. It holds its own performancewise against my Schneider APO-Symar 210 and a 110 Super-symar XL. Plus, it's low weight makes it very attractive for long hikes.

Jack Flesher
30-May-2007, 09:49
The truth is, pretty much any contemporary premium-grade LF lens from any of the big four is going to be darn good, as will many of those same manufaturer's older-version offerings. They will vary more in character and subtlety of hue and tone than they will in raw resolution; kind of like comparing good wines. However, just like wine, you find the occasional "bad bottle" in any lens group...