PDA

View Full Version : LUC Shutters

Pete Watkins
23-May-2007, 01:12
Has anybody here dismantled a LUC shutter? Do hundreds of small parts fly out the minute it's prised apart or is it a fairly straightforeward process? Please don't suggest sending it to a repairer as these things (when you can find one) are relativly cheap over here.
Best wishes,
Pete.

David A. Goldfarb
23-May-2007, 05:00
I have a shutter of that type, but of unknown brand (it looks like a LUC), and it's fairly simple. I'm fairly sure all such shutters should be easy to deal with, since they only have one speed. Just take note of how the leaves fit together on the shutter if you decide to take them apart.

Jan Pedersen
23-May-2007, 06:22
Have one and no, they are very simple to take apart. Just remember the sequence of the shutter blades and you will be fine. Mine is very consistent now after a clean and lube.

Pete Watkins
24-May-2007, 00:27
Many thanks for your advice. I'll give it a try later today.
Best wishes,
Pete.

Pete Watkins
12-Jun-2007, 14:16
Well, it took longer than I thought it would. the lubing (with clock oil and light grease) went ahead really quickly but a few bits needed fine adjustment (bending a bit) and it took a while to get it to fire a second time, it would always fire once. One observation that I've made is that the speed can be varied a bit according to the pressure applied to the shutter release cable once the shutter is lubricated (my other LUC's must need some attention as this dosn't seem to apply to them).
Best wishes,
Pete.

Jan Pedersen
13-Jun-2007, 11:06
Pete, Since opening speed is determined by the pressure put on the release cable it does vary a bit. I have found that a good fast solid squeeze gives me about 1/25 sec. not tested or anything just compared to a couple of Copal shutters.
I forgot what type of lube i used which also could influence the speed. I only applied a very little amount under the rotating plate and nothing on the blades.