PDA

View Full Version : my free Toyo story...and questions!

rippo
22-May-2007, 15:46
about three months ago i bought a 'baby' press camera, and moved into the world of sheet film (not counting my homemade 8x10, which i used paper negatives on). i found a Brooks student who was quitting school, and was selling lots of LF camera equipment for cheap. i picked up some of her 4x5 bw film for cheap, thinking i'd chop it down to 2x3 size.

a month later, and i'd bought the cheapest 4x5 camera i could afford. $500 got me a calumet 4x5 (17" monorail...i'm not sure of the model but it's a cambo in disguise) and a 210mm lens. so i contacted this woman again and bought up her remaining color film. she was very inspired by my bootleg DIY approach to photography...i made a lens board out of plywood, used a crappy plastic loupe with one side hacksawed off, a jacket for a darkcloth, a broken (but sturdy) Vivitar video-camera tripod with an ebay head. completely different from her Brooks world i suppose. she said that when she moved in May, whatever she didn't sell she'd give to me. film holders, cable release, whatever was left. she wanted it all gone and to move on.

so yesterday i get the call. she's got some stuff for me. my jaw dropped open and has remained open ever since. she had for me: Toyo-View C 4x5 camera, Manfrotto 3251 tripod, case for the camera, a 210mm Apo-Sironar-N f5.6 lens, 3ft release cable, set of six filters, 5 film holders, dark cloth, flash meter, rodenstock loupe.

she is truly a large-format angel. and i'm finally outclassed by my equipment...which isn't saying much, but is a heady experience.

so...question about my new toyo! it's got a rotating back, right? i took the back off, and it appears as if it might rotate. there's even a lever that seems like the right one, however i can't get the thing to turn. the lever needs a lot of pressure to move it one direction, and not much the other, which makes me think it's a friction release sort of thing. this lever is located about 2/3 along the long dimension of the back, on the side of the spring-back release lever. there's also a button on the corner...what does that do? neither seem to do anything.

also, the rear standard wobbles a bit. the fine-focus block seems a bit loose, and i can wiggle the standard from side to side. the front is less loose...there's a screw on the back right of each block. does that tighten up the silver metal-colored bar that seems to control the friction?

thanks, and sorry for my newbie ignorance and any terminology errors. gotta start somewhere!

Rafael Garcia
22-May-2007, 16:25
Wow! I can't help you with my knowledge, but I am envious of you! Congratulations!

rippo
22-May-2007, 16:42
thanks rafael!

all: upon further investigation, i realize that the fine-focus blocks have locking levers. the list of features keeps growing. :) but the rear standard, the loose one, won't lock. the lever moves to the right position, but i can still adjust the fine focus.

can this be tightened up somehow? that screw i mentioned turns when the locking lever is moved (either one of them), and doesn't appear to do any turning with a screwdriver.

Rafael Garcia
22-May-2007, 18:54
I found this post at photo.net searching for 'Toyo 45C manual', and it could be useful:

Michael Briggs , Dec 09, 2005; 10:01 a.m.

If you are in the US, you can probably buy a paper copy from Mamiya America Corp. They don't list the 45CF at http://www.toyoview.com/AskToyo/toyo_orderbklts.html , but since the Toyo 45CF is a current model, they must have copies. Try asking using the information at http://www.toyoview.com/AskToyo/asktoyo.html .

A manual for sale is at http://www.testreports.co.uk/photography/wdc/test-reports/Toyo-Toyo-View-45-19025-test-reports.html

erie patsellis
22-May-2007, 20:26
Rippo, answers inline:

so...question about my new toyo! it's got a rotating back, right? i took the back off, and it appears as if it might rotate. there's even a lever that seems like the right one, however i can't get the thing to turn. the lever needs a lot of pressure to move it one direction, and not much the other, which makes me think it's a friction release sort of thing. this lever is located about 2/3 along the long dimension of the back, on the side of the spring-back release lever. there's also a button on the corner...what does that do? neither seem to do anything.

Nearly every Toyo I've run across is the same, a quick disassembly, cleaning off the light corrosion and old grease, some new grease and it'll work like new. it actually takes less than an hour, start to finish (and I usually lap the rotating back with valve lapping compound, though not usually neccessary)

also, the rear standard wobbles a bit. the fine-focus block seems a bit loose, and i can wiggle the standard from side to side. the front is less loose...there's a screw on the back right of each block. does that tighten up the silver metal-colored bar that seems to control the friction?

thanks, and sorry for my newbie ignorance and any terminology errors. gotta start somewhere!
Two seperate issues, release the focus locks, center the blocks and very carefully adjust the gibs on each standard (try a 5/64" or 7/64" allen key, if memory serves me) adjust the 3 setscrews so there is no play, but still moves freely. The locking lever is next, there is a setscrew in the lever, loosen it, using a screwdriver while holding the lever upwards, turn the screw in until the fine focus knob just turns freely (check it with your third hand..) then tighten the setscrew, check the locking, and repeat as needed. If you need pics, I can shoot some, just email me.

erie

rippo
22-May-2007, 20:27
thanks rafael. your suggestion prompted me to go look for a free manual (free camera, can't have a manual that costs more than the camera, can i?). found one for a wide line of Toyo cameras here (http://www.butkus.org/chinon/toyo-view/toyo-view.htm), which answered my question about the two buttons. seems that my rotating back was a bit stiff. i gave it a tiny amount of grease and worked it a little, and spins now. still stiff, but at least it moves when i want it to.

now to solve the wobbly standard problem.

rippo
22-May-2007, 20:30
hey thanks erie! i was typing my response to rafael when yours posted. i did just grease the back, but i'll look into taking it apart further. i'm not sure if there are any 'surprise screws' on the inside of the back. you know, the ones that fly off and ruin whatever it is you're working on.

and extra double thanks for the standard-adjust tips. i know the set screws you were talking about, and was just heading out to the garage for some allen keys. so i was on the right path, but expert guidance is always better than random guessing.

edit: that's it! fine focus locks and wobble adjusted. i was even able to see that the front standard could use a little adjustment too, just to improve it a little.

Los
23-May-2007, 19:27
gotta love california! a CLA from MAC is $300, i think. it's the least you could do for your free camera. i paid $150 for a 45G set up similar to yours in EX+ condition. enjoy!

Jan Pedersen
23-May-2007, 20:42
Now, i am not at all interested it all that free photo stuff but where did that girl move to? She's a keeper.

rippo
24-May-2007, 11:42
Los: i'm not sure a $300 CLA would be in keeping with the 'free' spirit. :) other than the two problems which i've now fixed, it seems to be in very good shape. i took it on its first field trip yesterday, and everything worked very well. it's nice having a case for everything, even if it's like carrying a beer cooler around. beats my backpack+messenger bag routine. otoh, this is no field camera!

$150 for a G...that's almost free.

Jan: yes, she's an extremely generous person!

Ash
24-May-2007, 12:22
Rippo. It's amazing just how generous people can be.

I've had some real joy with equipment from people. I can't believe how generous some people have been to me. I've made the decision to fully use the stuff that's given to me, even moreso than the bits I spent out on! Proof of that is a ltm summicron that was given to me by a generous fella in Oz. The lens sits on my M2 (that I'm still paying back the money for!!) and I use it as my only leica lens!

My lightest, most compact 4x5 camera was a VERY generous gift, as was the lens that sits on it!

rippo
24-May-2007, 22:10
yeah, photographers seem pretty generous in general. i've gotten a lot of free stuff from people, and i try and pay it forward. perhaps i just seem pathetic with my DIY stuff. but i've been very lucky and owe quite a few people a big 'kharma' debt.