PDA

View Full Version : Used film holders - test for light-safe?

Scott --
22-May-2007, 11:15
Hi, all -

I picked up some used 4x5 film holders recently. They're not in bad shape, but I'm wondering what you folks do to test for light-proofness before using used holders.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

BradS
22-May-2007, 11:25
If they're moden, plastic holders from Fidelity, Lisco or Riteway (and, that's the only kind I buy anymore), I usually just clean 'em up really good, inspect the light trap in the slot and at the flap and then, simply use them.

I should probably mention that I don't do photography for a living so, light leaks have little if any impact. That said, I've not really had any problems...I did find a couple that had obvious issues at the slot end but, those were caught in the initial visual inspection.

I also number the holders and keep good field notes - this discipline has many benefits.

Kevin Crisp
22-May-2007, 11:32
I pretty much agree with Brad. I inspect plastic and wood holders for cracks or loose joints. Be particularly careful there have not been impacts to the dark slides which can cause star shaped fractures that can leak like. Sight down an edge and make sure they are not warped from heat on the plastic ones. If the hinge tape is coming apart I replace it. I blow the dust out of the trap from the inside, clean them up as best I can and use them. On the wood ones where the light trap is held together by microscopic screws I disassemble and make sure the felt is OK and clean them out. I clean the slides with simple green or pledge so they slide smoothly.

I have never had one I handled in this manner leak light (in all formats that must the 100+ of them) and I am not nearly so protective of them in the field as others seem to be. I do not, for example, cover the trap with the dark cloth before or after the slide is pulled. I do number them and take notes and if I ever do have a problem I will know which one is the offender.

BradS
22-May-2007, 11:45
It's funny, I was just cleaning up a new batch of film holders last night and commented to my wife about how you never know what you're gonna get when buying used holders on ebay...er, The Auction Site.

Anyway, I've got some that were just beat to heck and others that looked barely used. Of course, all were described as in "excellent" condition...

Generally speaking if they look good...they are. Some are just so obviously bad that I harvest whatever parts I can and toss 'em. I've got accumulated a handful of spare dark slides in this way.

I always wonder more about film plane accuracy then I do about light leaks. Light leaks will make themselves plain...film plane inaccuracy...well, I'm always wondering...."Did I really screw up the focus on that one? Did the subject move?"

Jack Flesher
22-May-2007, 12:25
Short of loading film and placing the holders in direct sunlight for a few hours per side -- an excercize I reccomend BTW if you are planning on shooting 400 ISO or higher emulsions -- I usually do what Brad does. The one step I add with a newly acquired holder is to press a bright flashlight against the light-trap and see if I can see any light coming through the other side.

John Kasaian
22-May-2007, 12:39
Short of loading film and placing the holders in direct sunlight for a few hours per side -- an excercize I reccomend BTW if you are planning on shooting 400 ISO or higher emulsions -- I usually do what Brad does. The one step I add with a newly acquired holder is to press a bright flashlight against the light-trap and see if I can see any light coming through the other side.

Paper is cheaper than film for testing :)

Jack Flesher
22-May-2007, 13:47
Paper is cheaper than film for testing :)

It sure is -- but it isn't very fast... I've heard of holders that didn't show any signs of leaking with ISO 100 film, show some pretty heavy fog streaks with ISO 400 film.

Best,