PDA

View Full Version : Hendheld camera advice needed

Jan_6568
20-May-2007, 16:12
I need to get a hendheld 4x5 for my new project. I do not want to spend to much as most likely this camera will only serve me for this project. I do not know if I want to keep it after I am done with it. I will be using only one lens, most likely in the range 100-120 mm. I do not need much movements - some rise and fall is enough. Gaoresi or Fotoman is far beyond the reach, too expensive. Any suggestions for used camera of this kind?

thanks,

Jan

David A. Goldfarb
20-May-2007, 17:16
Crown Graphic. They often come with lenses around 135mm, and I think the Kalart rangefinder can be calibrated down to about 120mm.

Walter Calahan
20-May-2007, 18:03
Crown Graphic. I have a cam for a 90mm lens so it focuses fine with that focal length. Mine is a top rangefinder design that needs cams. I'm sure you can get a Crown to work in the 100-120mm range.

Donald Qualls
20-May-2007, 18:55
I'll be a maverick and suggest an Anniversary Speed. I routinely use mine with a 105 mm Agnar (a triplet originally sold on a 6x9 roll film folder), which just barely covers if set hyperfocal (focused to 12 feet) and stopped down to f/22 or smaller (goes to f/32); the standard is on the bed rail, not in the body with that lens, and no bed drop is needed to keep the focus rails out of the shot (at least with the infinity setting I use). The camera itself is more versatile than a Crown because of the focal plane shutter, though it's also heavier. Either one will have no trouble with lenses down to 90 mm (with the Speed, you'll have the lens still in the body with that lens, and have to drop the bed to keep it out of the shot, but you can get it to infinity without any problem).

The main advantage of the Crown is that you don't have to wonder if the focal plane shutter *works* before the camera arrives -- but then you have all the usual issues that come up with older leaf shutters, so pay you money, take your choice.

You should be able to get either a Crown or an Annie Speed for under $200 with a lens, if you have a little time to shop around. Get the kind with the Kalart rangefinder, not the top-mount (unless it includes a cam matched to the lens on the camera, or you have a lens with matching cam already in hand) or the Hugo Meyer (fixed setting for one and only one lens -- run away!); the Kalart is very adjustable (I'm not certain it even has the 120 mm lower limit; the 127 mm was common on those cameras for many years and I wouldn't expect the RF to be made with the common lens at the bottom end of the adjustment range -- but haven't tried to adjust mine for any lens other than 135 mm). And if you get a Kalart with a bad beamsplitter, that's pretty easily replaced, either with an original part if you look around a bit and post in the right places, or with any piece of half-silvered mirror the correct thickness and cut to size. You *will* break the old glass getting it out, but that's no big deal since you'll be tossing it anyway...

Bill_1856
20-May-2007, 19:15
Busch Pressman model D. Cheaper than the Crowns, but same weight, and has revolving back so you can make verticals as well as horizontals (Graphics are horizontal only, for all pracrical purposes, if you need rise and fall). Get the side Kaalart RF, not the top one. Check the bellows carefully, as they don't seem to be as hole-resistant as the Graphics.

Jan_6568
20-May-2007, 21:37
Thanks a lot, sound like I have some choice. I am thinking of rise/fall more to have some handle on the lens coverage then on the perspective control. I will be working with an old RR lens and I want some vignetting.
best,
Jan