PDA

View Full Version : Technika III back not tight

Dan Chung
17-May-2007, 15:31
Hi there people, I'm a newbi to Large format and this forum. I just got a Linhof Technika III in decent shape but the four chrome knobs need extreme twisting till a layer of skin on my fingers file off to lock it. I know this is a very old camera but there's got to be a way to adjust the tension. I've unscrewed the tiny screw on the knob but it did'nt seem to do anything. Any suggestions?

Brian Ellis
18-May-2007, 07:02
Call Marflex, see if Martin has any suggestions. If you need a part you're probably out of luck. Linhof has changed the internal mechanism for the back knobs at least twice since the III was made. But Martin may have some ideas. Sorry I don't have his latest phone number handy but if you Google for Marflex it should come up. If you get a New Jersey number that's his old number. He's moved to North Carolina so the one you want is a North Carolina number. If this problem is making the camera basically unusable, and if Martin can't help, then you might check with S.K.Grimes and see if they can fabricate any needed parts.

Bob Salomon
18-May-2007, 07:30
Marflex@aol.com

252 652-4401

bartf
19-May-2007, 16:34
If you need parts I have an older Tech III with a bad front standard, but good bellows that I'd be willing to give up.

Let me know if that's useful to you.

resummerfield
19-May-2007, 18:58
My guess is it just needs disassembly and cleaning. On my Tech V, the basic principle is the knob forces a brass rod perpendicular against a chrome rod, pinching the chrome rod tight to the frame. The tiny screw on the knob is only a retaining screw to prevent the knob from coming off. Perhaps there is some grit preventing the chrome knob from fully tightening? Or perhaps some oil/grease between the brass and chrome rods?

It’s a very simple system, and if you were able to remove the tiny screw on the knob, you can probably disassembly to investigate, and maybe repair it. I would remove that tiny screw which allows you to completely remove the chrome knob, and then remove the small compression spring and brass rod. Clean all parts and threads, including the chrome rod holding the back, and reassemble.

If that doesn’t work, the brass rod may be deformed or just worn out. You'll need to call Marflex. Good Luck!