PDA

View Full Version : I'd Like to Find The Guy That Invented Readyloads....

william linne
16-May-2007, 16:54
Had a big time paying gig. Bought two brand new Kodak Readyload holders and 4 boxes of Kodak film. Between me and the two assistants (both very experienced with Readyloads), a 40% failure rate. Which is about average for my experience with the Readyload system. What a waste of money.

Paul Droluk
16-May-2007, 17:13
I can't speak for the Kodak Readyload system as I use Fuji's Quickload Holder and Quickloads... and have NEVER had a single failure that wasn't my fault.

Brian K
16-May-2007, 17:21
I have NEVER had a readyload failure.

Brian Ellis
16-May-2007, 17:27
The only Readyload failure I've had was largely my fault - I left a metal clip in the base of the holder. A 40% failure rate is astounding, it seems to me that either somebody is doing something wrong or you got a bad batch. I'd definitely call Kodak, in the good old days (about five years ago) they'd give free replacement boxes, I don't know if they still do.

Eric James
16-May-2007, 17:29
I'd like to find the guy who invented the Quickload system so I could ask when the 5X7 version will be released! My only 4x5 QL failures have been purely due to operator error.

Sorry to hear of this. I've lost confidence in Kodak through the years.

Dave Parker
16-May-2007, 17:29
In several years (9+) I have never had a readyload failure, sounds like something else might be going on...

Dave

Hiro
16-May-2007, 18:08
About 40% failure rate is also my experience with one box of Readyloads. I thought about using a Polaroid holder being a factor, but a couple of clips simply fell off of the envelope...then some (many?) people say no problem. I'm inclined to think the cases of high failure rates are due to poor quality control (bad batch). I like some Kodak films and use them occasionally, but never Readyloads.

Ted Harris
16-May-2007, 18:47
Like other posters I've een using both QL's and RL's for some 7 years and have had very few failures. I've burned some thousands of sheets in taht time and had the occasional operator failures and had two boxes of bad film from Fuji which they replaced ...

Dave_B
16-May-2007, 18:56
I've used a large number of Quickloads with both the Fuji holder and the Polaroid holder and had very good luck with both. The only failures I've had were pilot error.
Cheers,
Dave B.

Jack Flesher
16-May-2007, 19:33
The only readyload failure I ever had was due to my own stupidity. Once I learned to point the picture of the camera on the envelope towards the camera lens as I inserted it, no more problems.

65Galaxie
16-May-2007, 19:43
The only problem I've had is using RD's in a Pol. 545 back. I bend the metal clip up slightly with my finger so it grips better in the holder. Maybe you're squezzing the envelope too much when pulling it out of the holder and breaking the film loose from the metal strip? When I pull on the envolope I make sure I can feel the film staying put.

Gordon Moat
16-May-2007, 20:46
The only problem I have so far had with either system was not pulling the packet sleeve out far enough. So far no failures, even when mixing Kodak to Fuji and the other way around on systems.

I realize people do have problems, but I find it tough to point the finger at operator error. Sure, if things are going very fast, like one packet per second exposures, then sh*t might happen. However, that high a failure rate sounds more like a bad holder, especially over several boxes of film. I would contact Kodak.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

Frank Petronio
16-May-2007, 23:06
Since the last (third?) design of the Kodak RL single shot holder, they seem very reliable.

Bruce Watson
17-May-2007, 04:35
I had a high failure rate too. I called and talked to Kodak about it. They asked me to send my holder to them. They ended up sending me a new holder. Since then I've had no failures at all.

This even though the end of the holder is visibly bowed (the "clip end" toward the lens). But it tests out perfectly fine, even with an 80mm lens wide open (to stress the depth of focus). That is, film comes out sharp corner to corner.

With this new holder I've got no complaints.

Ron Marshall
17-May-2007, 06:56
I use the latest Kodak holder with both readyloads and quickloads, and have never had a failure.

John Brady
17-May-2007, 07:14
I took 6 box's of ready loads to death valley for a week of shooting a couple of months ago. I brought a holder that I have never had a problem with (I did have a proble with a previous holder). The first day The clouds were amazing, I took about 25 shots dunes canyons etc. The next morning I got up at 5am to catch sunrise. I started thinking about shooting the day before and started gettin paranoid about ready load failure, somthing just didn't seem right. So I jump out of bed and throw a sheet in the holder with it out of the camera, I pull back back the packet and the film stayed in the packet. I tried another sheet and the same thing again. Man was I pissed, fortunately I brought a box of loose film, 7 holders and a changing tent (always be prepared). I scrambled to load the holders and still got out early. Fortunately I was able to buy another box of film from another photographer, crisis averted.

When I got home I developed the film and got about 5 random shots out of the 25. It was a painful experience.

I also brought a quickload holder and 2 box's of velvia. I have never had a prblem with the fuji.

I love rl when it works but when it doesn't it's not too cool.
I don't think it was user error because it's all I ever used, now I think I am going back to loose film.

jb

Rakesh Malik
17-May-2007, 07:27
I had one failure with a Quickload jamming on me, so now I carry two Quickload holders. Fuji replaced the jammed holder (no charge, it was under warranty), and since then I've had no failures.

Before that failure I did try using Kodak film in the QL holders, which was very unreliable; I'd been told that it would work fine, and not knowing any better, I got some Kodak black and white film... most of which is still waiting to be used since I don't have a Readyload holder at the moment.

Of course, being mechanical devices there's always the possibility that something will go wrong, so I carry two. And since I'm carrying them in their original boxes complete with bubble wrap (still waiting for that pouch from Gnass that I ordered two+ weeks ago...) they take up a lot of space, also. But the peace of mind that comes with having a backup is worth the weight and bulk.

Brian K
17-May-2007, 07:31
Had a big time paying gig. Bought two brand new Kodak Readyload holders and 4 boxes of Kodak film. Between me and the two assistants (both very experienced with Readyloads), a 40% failure rate. Which is about average for my experience with the Readyload system. What a waste of money.

I am curious about one thing, given that this was a "big time paying gig" why didn't you test the film and readyload holders out beforehand?

evan clarke
17-May-2007, 07:38
I used to have problems with the old double holder. I have the current Fuji and the current Kodak holders and they work perfectly with either film...EC

Brian C. Miller
17-May-2007, 08:06
When Kodak was producing the two-sheet ReadyLoad packets, they always worked fine in my Polaroid holder. When they went to the single-film packets, I bought a ReadyLoad holder. So far, no ReadyLoad failures.

Bill McKinley
17-May-2007, 08:51
I did have one trip where a box of film was ruined by a malfunctioning Quickload holder.
After that disaster I have developed a more refined feel for the actions of the holder and can more or less tell if things are working correctly. But (just to be sure things really are working right) I always carry a 'sacrificed' sheet and occasionally run it through the holder to test the system. Who needs to be worrying all trip long that the holder might not really be working correctly?

Brian Ellis
17-May-2007, 09:12
"So I jump out of bed and throw a sheet in the holder with it out of the camera, I pull back back the packet and the film stayed in the packet. I tried another sheet and the same thing again."

There's an easy way to check to see if this has happened before you make a photograph. Just run your thumb and forefinger lightly back and forth a couple times across the top of the envelope after pulling the envelope up and before making the exposure. If you feel a slight bump or ridge around the center then the film stayed up in the packet. Reinsert it and try again. If it happens a couple times discard that packet. It takes only a couple seconds to do and is good insurance against losing a photograph because of the film not staying down in the holder. This tip was given to me by a Kodak rep after I had my one major Readyload problem.

william linne
17-May-2007, 09:16
I am curious about one thing, given that this was a "big time paying gig" why didn't you test the film and readyload holders out beforehand?

I guess I'm just not a pro like you, dude.

darter
17-May-2007, 09:58
Why is it whenever anyone has an issue with a product, three people immediately chime in: "I never had a problem with it." Two imply that the complainant is "an idiot", "not a pro" or guilty of laziness. Another has to state that he/she "Loves the product and (superior intelligence implied) has frozen X cases of it." There is always one who writes: "I've never used that product" but has to comment anyway. Lastly two compulsive "thread rage" addicts have to get into a tit-for-tat fight about something and hijack the thread. Its getting a bit predictable.

Dave Parker
17-May-2007, 10:16
Well Darter,

I think it is fully expected that even when someone does have a problem with a product that it stands to reason that there are many others who have not had a problem, normally products with a lot of problems don't stay on the market very long, myself personally don't think it has anything to do with being a pro, or operator incompetence, but if one person has a problem all the time and others don't have a problem, it seems there would be something else going on that causes the problems and failures, which of course could be incorrect use, but in a group like this, I would suspect there is a problem with the particular holder that was used, if a 40% failure rate is the norm for a person, then there is obliviously something going on..

And saying that someone loves a particular product in no way implies superior intelligence, that is a connection I can't make, and don't understand how you came to that conclusion because someone loves a product?

:rolleyes:

Dave

Ben Crane
17-May-2007, 15:07
There has been a lot posted on this, but I'm still not sure what the nature of the 40% failure rate was? I.e., was the film never exposed, was there a light leak, does the clip get jammed, problems with the emulsion itself, etc.

Like many others here I have used several hundred sheets of Readyload and had very few failures. Fortunately Almost all the failures I have had were evident in the field such as the clip coming off the end or the film never being pulled out of the sleave (I always feel to see if this occurs as a previous poster described).

Brian K
18-May-2007, 07:57
I guess I'm just not a pro like you, dude.

I guess not. I asked a serious question and in return received an immature response. Why am I not surprised that you had serious issues on a shoot?

When you accept a "big time high paying gig" you owe it to your clients to approach your work in a professional manner and a big part of that is doing your homework beforehand. You test your gear, you test your film and supplies and you do any scouting or testing that the photograph or location may require beforehand.

Screwing up a shoot may prove only to be an inconvenience to some photographers, but sometimes the AD who put their trust in a less than professional photographer lose their job.

BTW while there are manufacturing defects in products, the vast amount of problems always trace back to the same source, user error.

John Brady
18-May-2007, 09:10
Hi Ben, in my case the failure is a cse of the clip not catching so the film stays in the packet. I have never had this happen with velvia in my fuji holder, but have had it happen with two different kodak holders. I don't know if it's the film packet or the holder, all I know is that when it happens it's not a pleasant experience.

Brian makes an excellent suggestion on how to tell if the film stayed in the packet. I tried it with my holder last night and it works as he mentions.
thanks jb

turtle
18-May-2007, 09:40
I have not had problems. I have the latest single sheet Kodak holder (I bought this as you can use readyloads and quickloads in it...with the fuji holder the kodak film is a problem). I have had a 100% success rate with Tmax single shhet reaadyloads.

turtle
18-May-2007, 09:41
I have not had problems. I have the latest single sheet Kodak holder (I bought this as you can use readyloads and quickloads in it...with the fuji holder the kodak film is a problem). I have had a 100% success rate with Tmax single sheet readyloads and Fuji Acros quickloads.

Dave Henry
18-May-2007, 10:15
Like Ted Harris' reply, I've shot thousands of color and b&w over the last seven years and can count only about a dozen mishaps that were my fault. This is all I shoot except for a dozen Grafmatics full of Tmax400.

I'm a total Kodak user for 38 years because their products have always delivered for me. I prefer not to bash any product as that doesn't solve anything. It only vents. With the watering hole of manufacturers slowly receding, we don't need to poison the water.

william linne
18-May-2007, 10:27
Well, the Readyload accounted for about 10% of film shot that day, so I wasn't relying heavily on it and I've never failed someone paying for my services yet. Different photographers shoot in different ways. When a magazine pays me to photographs someone, I typically shoot a ton of 4x5, maybe some 8x10 and a shitload of 6x7 or 6x6. The problems I encountered, and have encountered before with different holders/boxes of film, were myriad. The release jamming continually, the envelopes pulling entirely out of the holder while pulling them up for exposure, and the envelopes not fitting back tightly into the metal clip after exposure, thereby causing fogging along the bottom edge of the frame. Also, just having trouble pulling the envelope up without sticking. I was using the readyloads while shooting portraits fast and furious with a RB Graflex and a Speed Graphic. I'm not an idiot, although you can throw a rock and hit somebody who thinks otherwise (do me a favor, throw it HARD), neither were my assistants. Perhaps I should take a refresher course in readyloads.

Gordon Moat
18-May-2007, 11:15
A local pro, Dana Neibert, only uses Kodak Readyloads, and often has his assistants running fast from one packet to the next. Supposedly he can do a new exposure every few seconds, though I would not want to try using these that fast. Maybe it is down to practice, though his failure rate has been extremely low. So don't take this as a criticism, but practice with these fast packet systems can be a very good idea.

In all honesty, these packet systems from Kodak and Fuji are not as simple as they seem, nor are they terribly precise. Due to some people reporting odd problems with the newer Kodak Readyload holder, I have stuck with the slightly older black pressure plate version with the red Kodak lettering on it (version IIII on the holder). Perhaps my choice to stay with the older holder accounts for the reliability, or it might be the practice I have done using these packet systems.

I would think that regular holders and assistants on the side of the camera helping you change those quickly would be faster than Readyloads or Quickloads. If you need to do rapid fire 4x5 shots, I think that despite the names of these systems, you are more likely to have trouble with packet systems when the going gets fast. I feel pretty good at about one shot every thirty seconds, though if I tried to go faster I think I would screw up on something.

I really am grateful for these systems, though I will admit they are an acquired taste, and definitely not a good choice for everyone. Bottom line, if they don't work for you, then quit using them.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)