PDA

View Full Version : Compur 00 size shutter?

kevin kelly
16-May-2007, 14:03
Hello, at the moment I'm eyeballing a Schneider SA f8 65mm on ebay. The question I have has to do with the shutter size, are there parts for this size shutter? Ease of repair ifneeded? Lensboards? My camera is a sinar f1 if that makes any difference. Ive seen these lenses sell quite cheap on ebay!!!

Jack Flesher
16-May-2007, 14:13
The 00 is indeed a tiny shutter. Be advised the 65 f8 SA does not really cover 4x5 very well with its 155mm IC: http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/super-angulon/data/8-65mm.html

David A. Goldfarb
16-May-2007, 14:33
It just covers 4x5" just barely. The original center filter is hard to find, but I have one, so there are a few out there.

The shutter is quite reliable, but in the unlikely event that you use this lens so much that you wear out the shutter, the best thing to do would be to replace it with a new shutter. Normal maintenance for these is just cleaning and possibly a little lubrication.

Bob Salomon
16-May-2007, 15:41
It just covers 4x5" just barely. The original center filter is hard to find, but I have one, so there are a few out there.

The shutter is quite reliable, but in the unlikely event that you use this lens so much that you wear out the shutter, the best thing to do would be to replace it with a new shutter. Normal maintenance for these is just cleaning and possibly a little lubrication.

Where would you find:

1: A new Compur? They have been out of production for years.
2 A new 00? They haven't made a 00 view camera shutter in decades.

David A. Goldfarb
16-May-2007, 16:27
I meant that it would be easier to adapt the lens to a new shutter like a Copal 0, rather than trying to find parts for a Compur 00.

Donald Qualls
16-May-2007, 16:29
A used, well-working 00 Compur can be had without much trouble by buying a $25-$50 35 mm folder such as a Jubilette, Baldinette, etc. These will typically have had a lot of exposures, but still work very well with a basic CLA. They don't have a T or press-focus function, but do have a B that can be used for focusing with a locking cable release.

OTOH, the likelihood of *any* of us actually *wearing out* a shutter in large format usage seems rather unlikely. I've got a roll film camera with dial-set Compur made in the 1920s (probably 1927) and still accurate enough and reliable enough for routine use.

Dan Fromm
16-May-2007, 16:46
kevin, lensboards can be drilled to order. NOS #00 shutters pop up from time to time on eBay, and there's a vendor who seems to have a lot of #00 Prontor IIs.

AFAIK, no #00 has T or press focus.

David, threaded bushings to allow the cells to be mounted properly in a #0 or #1 will cost more than the lens is worth.

sparq
16-May-2007, 18:14
Get a Compur 00 to Copal 0 mounting adapter from S.K.Grimes. I just got one for my recently purchased SA 8/65; it costs $35.

Ole Tjugen
17-May-2007, 02:20
AFAIK, no #00 has T or press focus.

That's correct. And that's why I always bring a locking cable release whenever I take my 90mm f:8 Super Angulon out - mine is an old one in a 00 Compur.

kevin kelly
17-May-2007, 02:53
Thanks for the information. I'm still amazed by this forum. I sit here in the west of Ireland (quite remote buy anyones standard) and get responses from all over the world! Its a great resource. KK

Daniel Unkefer
17-May-2007, 17:41
I have several #00 shutter view lenses, including a modified 58mm XL Grandagon in a sunken custom-made recessed board, and a 65mm Sinar Super Anugulon F8 with original center filter (which helps a lot).

These are good shutters. Sinar offered them for many years to use on the Norma cameras. They can be easily cleaned by a good repairperson.

kevin kelly
18-May-2007, 06:08
Hi. didnt get the lens. Was sniped by £10. I'm sure there'll be another opurtunity soon!
Also theres a swiss gang that supply sinar lensboards on ebay and for 20 euro extra on the cost they will machine a 00 lensboard. thanks again.

David Niergarth
23-May-2008, 10:22
David, threaded bushings to allow the cells to be mounted properly in a #0 or #1 will cost more than the lens is worth.

Yes, I've confirmed this with the guys at SK Grimes. To remount a SA f8/65 into a Copal 0 shutter would cost > $300 (and that's when you provide the shutter).

An additional problem is that the lens housing is wide enough that the lens can't be mounted deeply enough into the shutter. I ran into this problem when trying to use a #00 shutter from a 35mm folder; the front element can't be screwed into the shutter completely because the lens housing bumps into the inner edge of the shutter. The SK Grimes guys said the same problem will likely happen when trying to mount the lens in a new Copal #0 (could add a couple hundred dollars to the bill).

The best option seems to find a beat up SA 65 with an original shutter and have it CLA'd. But beware that a CLA for a #00 shutter (because of it's small size) is often more expensive than for a #0 or #1. My local shutter repair shop quoted me $150. Alas, it's an expensive problem to solve.

Dan Fromm
23-May-2008, 11:12
Look for a #00 Prontor Press.

IanG
23-May-2008, 12:26
Kevin, while the 65mm only just covers 5x4 it is a great little lens, and can be extremely useful.

Mine has allowed me to make some superb images in very small light locations, we have those in Britain & Ireland, quite different to many of the wide open landscapes of North America.

Ian

Chuck Pere
23-May-2008, 15:01
Also some of those 00 shutters don't have a cable release socket. So check it out if that's important to you.