PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommend a carrying case?

Michael Graves
16-May-2007, 12:28
I know have six lenses mounted on 6" Toyo boards. Right now I'm carrying them around in plastic storage containers to protect them. But that's cumbersome. I would like some sort of case for them. Ideally, it would have grooves for the lensboards to slide down into and adjustable sections to separate the lenses. But I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Ted Harris
16-May-2007, 12:43
If you live without the adjustable sections the Orvis reel bag is perfect.

Bruce Watson
16-May-2007, 12:53
Gnass Gear (http://www.gnassgear.com/products/product_info.cfm) has a case for you. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way to the bottom and find the "8x10 multiple lens case" which looks like it will handle your six inch lens boards just fine.

Dave_B
16-May-2007, 12:57
I use the Photobackpacker cases for my lenses and like them. You can get them sized for one or more lenses per case. The cases are light and strong. The camera case I have for my Toyo 45AII is also first rate. Not cheap, but an excellent product.
Cheers,
Dave B.

tgtaylor
18-May-2007, 15:22
I've been using Seagrams 7 Crown Royal sacks. I know it isn't the best but it sure is the lightest and most compact way to pack your lens without scratching the cosmetics.

Thomas

Jan Pedersen
18-May-2007, 15:57
Just yesterday i saw a bag that i have not heard of before, the Think Tank. There are several models but what was interesting to me was the square format bags in the series called Airport. I am looking for something that i can put a 8x10 B&J ind and the Airport Addicted is large enough for that.
The company does have a web site http://www.thinktankphoto.com/
Hope this helps.

Michael Graves
18-May-2007, 17:47
There is an Orvis outlet in a mall near where I live. Well, if you call 30 miles near. Where I live NOTHING is near. I pay long distance charges to call my nearest neighbor. (okay, that's a slight exaggeration). But I'm going to take a couple of lenses and a couple of film holders in with me, go up to the counter and say, "Can I see your reel case?" If I don't like that, the Gnass wins. Thanks for pointing these out. They look good.

Can't go with the Seagrams. My wife would never believe I didn't go back to drinking again. And the Think Tanks seem to split the size I need. The Airport is way too big and the other ones don't look right either. But thanks for pointing them out, too. I can think of several good uses for the Seagrams bags. Now to empty a few.

Oh wait. I quit drinking. Can't do that.

turtle
26-May-2007, 03:41
If you hike I would strongly recommend Lowepro bags. I have the Photo Trekker (5x4/5x7) and Super Trekker (10x8) and they are:

V well made.
Offer excellent protection, againsts knocks and weather.
Can be made to fit any kit
Are comfortable

My Super trekker may not be light but the harness is first rate and really spreads the load nicely. I do not regret it for a minute and from what i have seem of other bags, incl F64 bags, none come even close IMO. I could not do without them. Fast access too!

Rgds

Michael Graves
26-May-2007, 06:46
I was in a supermarket the other day and saw these Igloo padded cooler bags. They looked just the right size and were ten bucks. So I grabbed one. The bummer is that it only holds three lenses while they're in the containers. But two of them hold them all. How often do I take six lenses with me anyway?

PBrooks
26-May-2007, 08:04
www.photobackpacker.com here is the website they can help you!
Phillip

Greg Lockrey
26-May-2007, 08:34
I was in a supermarket the other day and saw these Igloo padded cooler bags. They looked just the right size and were ten bucks. So I grabbed one. The bummer is that it only holds three lenses while they're in the containers. But two of them hold them all. How often do I take six lenses with me anyway?

That's pretty cool Michael, with two, you'll be able to balance the load better too.:)

David Karp
26-May-2007, 09:03

I love padded cooler cases. I have one that carries my Crown Graphic, spotmeter, film holders, an extra lens, filters, and a dark cloth. It comes with me in the car. I also have several cooler cases that I use to hold 4x5 holders.

Not only are they easy to keep clean inside (no dust), they are insulated and don't attract attention like photo bags do.

Greg Lockrey
26-May-2007, 09:35
Not only are they easy to keep clean inside (no dust), they are insulated and don't attract attention like photo bags do.

Yeah, you don't want to look like a camera geek, but looking like a picnic geek is okay. :D :D :D

Gene McCluney
26-May-2007, 10:42
Cabella's online catalog shows several fishing reel multiple-reel cases that work just fine for lens storage on lensboards. These are soft cases with shoulder straps. Price range from $19.95 to $49.95 for the ultra-large. I found the latter could store lenses on the large lensboards for my Agfa/Ansco 8x10, although I had to insert them at a 45 degree angle.