PDA

View Full Version : Centre filter for rodenstock 90mm F4.5

Former Member 8144
16-May-2007, 02:39
Hi,

A couple of questions about filters on the rodenstock 90mm 4.5 lens.

I am looking for a centre filter for a rodenstock grandagon N 90mm F 4.5
I will be using fairly large camera movements (tilt and swing on the lens)

There is the rodenstock own E82/112 filter but I am wondering if there are other brands such as heliopan etc that people have used successfully also for this specific lens.

Now also looking at the rodenstock filter available the outside thread is 112mm...correct?

So lets say we want to use a polarising filter with this lens at the same time as having to use the centre filter...any suggestions?
Even the lee polarisers seem only to go up to 100 or 105mm.

What do people do?

Thanks,

Marc

Bob Salomon
16-May-2007, 03:25
Heliopan makes 112mm polarizers.

Former Member 8144
16-May-2007, 03:55
Thanks Bob.
This wonderful lens is going to get expensive on filters alone!!...all my other lenses on my two systems are well covered with my 77mm filters...but of course all worth it in the end.

So if using the heliopan 112 pol on top of the cf filter, or any filter on top of the cf one...will this create any vignetting problems?

And beyond this...I actually scan all my final images to then make lightjet prints.
I am not one for doing it in 'post' always prefering to do it in camera where possible especially as this always means better image quality but with the simple effect a centre filter gives...can this be achieved just as well in photoshop?

Thanks,

Marc

Peter Mounier
16-May-2007, 07:49
I have that Grandagon 90mm f4.5 lens. It takes an 82mm filter.
Are you talking about something different?

Peter

David A. Goldfarb
16-May-2007, 08:02
I have that Grandagon 90mm f4.5 lens. It takes an 82mm filter.
Are you talking about something different?

Peter

Presumably the center filter has a larger front thread than the rear thread.

Former Member 8144
16-May-2007, 08:21
yes the centre filter has a 112mm front thread.
my next project requires a fair amount of tilt and swing and i also do a fair amount of interiors etc with lots of rise so a centre filter is more than likely going to needed.

I am just trying to work out filters for this (that may as well work for my lf kit as a whole) using step rings etc.

current choices seem to be heliopan 112mm filters in all that I need..pol, nd, uv, blue, fld or a system such as lee for similar.
The lee system however does not cover 112 so I am looking at the cokin x-pro...seems like it will do the job and I may have the option of lee versus cokin filters.

this lens is certainly going to cost me in terms of filters but the extra movements and stop over the 6.8 will be welcome.

marc

Peter Mounier
16-May-2007, 08:21
Ok thanks for the reply. I've never used a center filter.
Peter

Gene McCluney
16-May-2007, 09:43
While my 65mm Super Angulon certainly could use a center filter for images that I cannot dodge and burn, having 2 examples of 90mm Super Angulons in my lens bank, I cannot see much need for them, even with transparencies in that focal length. Is the Rodenstock 90mm more prone to vignetting than the Schneider 90mm?

Gene McCluney
16-May-2007, 09:45
Sorry, I don't mean vignetting, I mean lens illumination fall-off characterized by dark edges to the image. My 90mm Super Angulons (f8) don't exhibit this problem excessively. Perhaps the Rodenstock f4.5 is more prone to this?

Former Member 8144
16-May-2007, 10:00
I am going on what I have read so far...but of course will test this myself also.

My way of thinking is ' what is the farthest limit I will push my equipment' and under those circumstances 'what will I need'.

The general concensus seems to be on this lens that a centre filter is needed when large movements are made (which I will be doing) and you shoot on transparancy (which I will be doing) and you do not want the darkening of the outer edges of the image (which I do not).

I think many will use wide lenses quite happily and whilst their technically may be a need for a centre filter they do not feel the need for one from a visual, as opposed to theoretical point of view, which is of course right.

Do Helipoan make different versions of 82mm threaded centre filters..I have come across just one so far.

Marc

Bob Salomon
16-May-2007, 11:50
Do Helipoan make different versions of 82mm threaded centre filters..I have come across just one so far.

Marc

No. They currently have only one 82mm Center Filter. It has a 105mm front thread and a density in the center of 0.45

In the past Heliopan made two different WA Center filters. One with a center density of 0.45 and the other with a density of 0.9. That is a filter factor of 8x so this filter, while very effective, was never very popular.

0.45 is a factor of 3x.

Don't forget that for a center filter to work the lens must be stopped down at least 2 stops.

If you are shooting scenes with large areas of sky in them you might want to not use a polarizer with a wide angle lens. Since some areas of the sky are naturally polarized while others are not using a wide angle with a polarizer can result in banding in the sky in the naturally polarized areas.

Former Member 8144
16-May-2007, 12:56
Thanks Bob,
Yes I'm not worrying to much about a polariser for the 90mm...one less filter to get.
The 105 mm front thread of the heliopan filters makes life much easier for other filters (UV, nd's)..now to track one down here in the U.K.
A phone call to teamwork tomorrow I think!

Former Member 8144
16-May-2007, 13:05
and now my last question on the topic..honestly!
bearing in mind both heliopan and schneider (IV) make center filters with a 82/105 thread and both with a filter factor of 3 like the rodenstock E82/112 is there any reason to choose the heliopan over the schneider or vica verca?

Marc