PDA

View Full Version : The antichrist of digital

George Kara
15-May-2007, 19:53
What is it about the negatives of polaroid 55 and 51? It is similar to ceramic glazes but with perhaps a bit more control. More like a marriage between oil paint and glaze.

The dynamic range is very compressed and similar to oil paint ( about 5 - 6 useable stops), and the development and grain is unique to each sheet.

Is this stuff perhaps the greatest art film of all time? I have seen many of you take photos with this stuff and each image seems to be unique.

It is so anti-digital capture.

Viva polaroid 51, viva polaroid 55.

JW Dewdney
15-May-2007, 20:20
actually - funny you mention that.. I've been fascinated by the idea that each digital capture is unique and a work of art...

Vaughn
15-May-2007, 20:55
Both of you are right!

A friend dropped his digital camera and it now gives him the most interesting images -- as a pixel fills up with info, it "bleeds" that info into the surrounding pixels in a Dali-like manner (probably not an accurate description, but close enough). He is developing a portfolio of those images -- he'd better not drop that camera again!

Type 55 negs are a beautiful material! I've made some almost grainless 16x20's from them with wonderful tones...and nice contact prints., too. In the past I have found it to be pretty reliable -- but I the Type 55 I am using now is 15+ years old or so (refridgerated), so it is all over the place.

Not familar with Type 51. Is it a special product designed for the scientists at Area 51?

Vaughn

David Luttmann
15-May-2007, 20:56
actually - funny you mention that.. I've been fascinated by the idea that each digital capture is unique and a work of art...

Each digital capture is as unique as each film capture. Neither is art on it's own....it's just a capture method.

Do love some of that Pola stuff though.

adrian tyler
15-May-2007, 22:50
a friend of mine drumscans type 55 negs and make incredible mural prints:

http://www.fernandomaquieira.com/

see "anima" secrion

JW Dewdney
15-May-2007, 23:40
say.. anybody know when the new Polaroid Type 55 Photoshop filter's coming out??

Jack Flesher
16-May-2007, 06:31
say.. anybody know when the new Polaroid Type 55 Photoshop filter's coming out??

I've got an action built that does a pretty good job emulating it :)

Cheers,

George Kara
16-May-2007, 06:52

Cheers,[/QUOTE]

Jack

Any chance I could get a copy of your action for my digital work?

tim atherton
16-May-2007, 08:21
a friend of mine drumscans type 55 negs and make incredible mural prints:

http://www.fernandomaquieira.com/

see "anima" secrion

I think that first one is my ex-mother-in-law....

adrian tyler
16-May-2007, 09:52
I think that first one is my ex-mother-in-law....

man just as well you got out of that one... you know what they say about checking the mother out first...

David R Munson
16-May-2007, 10:17
I love Type 55, so how is it that this is the first I've heard of Type 51? Looked it up on B&H, looks like the negative portion has an EI of about 80. How's it compare to Type 55?

Vaughn
16-May-2007, 11:02
Before Kodak and Polaroid had their big falling-out due to the patent case with Kodak's entry into the instant film market, it was rumoured that Polaroid used a film supplied by Kodak for the negative of the Type 55...and that the film was actually Panatomic-X. Could have been. The actual ASA of the neg was close, and it was a very fine and sharp film.

After the fall-out, Polaroid experimented with a new Type 55...I got several boxes of the experimental film back in the 80's while assisting at Friends of Photography workshops. The new Type 55 was more evenly matched between the print and the film (the film had increased in ASA to match the print), which seems to indicate a new film...but still nice and sharp/fine grain.

Sounds like the Type 51 has a bit higher contrast negative (and a much higher contrast print), at the cost of some sharpness and a little larger grain. The Type 55 neg does tone well in selenium for a slight contrast boost.

vaughn

David Luttmann
16-May-2007, 11:54

Cheers,

Jack

Any chance I could get a copy of your action for my digital work?[/QUOTE]

Ditto....I'd love to try that action.

BrianShaw
16-May-2007, 12:07
I love Type 55, so how is it that this is the first I've heard of Type 51? Looked it up on B&H, looks like the negative portion has an EI of about 80. How's it compare to Type 55?

The datasheet says 50... but I used to shoot at about half of that for a good neg.

EDIT: Ohh, David... I may have misinterpreted your question. You probably know the neg speed of T-55. This is first I heard of T-51 also. Sorry if I answered a question you didn't ask. I have no idea what the quality of T-51 neg is like, but there are curves available on the datasheet at www.polaroid.com

gregstidham
16-May-2007, 21:42
The Type 55 neg does tone well in selenium for a slight contrast boost.vaughn
Would you care to share a recipe?