PDA

View Full Version : Ilex 90mm F8 Acugon

Joseph O'Neil
14-May-2007, 12:38
Hi everyone;
I just picked up one of these little gems the other day in fine shape. Something of a "sleeper" IMO. The one I have is not a Caltar, but the actual Ilex Acugon. It's the one that looks a bit like a super angulon, or a clone thereoff, but it has no filter threads (which is why God invented electrical tape :) ).

Anyhow, while i am ready and anxious to try it out, does anybody have any hard data on this lens, specifically circle of coverage? It appears I can push my little Tachihara to the limits with this lens in terms of movements, so I suppose it does not really matter, but just curious.

.....and yes, I have done a Google for it, but man, all I seem to turn up is endless Ebay listings (mostly expired). :(

thanks
joe

Ole Tjugen
14-May-2007, 13:10
I've got it's "little brother" - 65mm f:8. It just barely covers 4x5". That's why I bought it, since I tend to switch to 5x7" when 90mm on 4x5" isn't wide enough. Saves me carrying an extra camera...

Dan Fromm
14-May-2007, 14:02
Joe, try Google Groups. I searched hard after I got my 65/8, found a thread in which someone quoted a claim in a B&J catalog to the effect that it covers 6.1". I also found but didn't put in my notes coverage claims etc. for the 47/8 and 90/8.

Practically speaking, although they were designed and made in Rochester (designer Manuel Kiner), f/8 Acugons are the same as f/8 Super Angulons. Same coverage to within a couple of mm.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Andy Eads
14-May-2007, 14:24
I've owned one of these for about 30 years. Mine is in a Seikosha shutter which needed repair once in its career. I tested it against a contemporary Super Angulon (f/8) and they were nearly identical in performance.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
14-May-2007, 14:25
Ilex made a few variations of that lens. I have a 90mm f8 "Ilex Acu-Veriwide" which I was told (perhaps wrongly) was a later issue. In any case, my lens covers about 105 degrees (~235mm) and is sharper, has more coverage, although is slightly less contrasty than the single-coated 90mm f8 Super Angulon I previously owned.

Attached is a scan of a 5x7 transparency made with my Ilex 90/8 Acu-Veriwide with about an inch of front drop.

John Schneider
14-May-2007, 17:18
On a somewhat related topic, I have a 65mm f8 Caltar-II in a Copal 0 that looks like a shrunken 90 Super Angulon (unlike the Schneider 65 f8 S-A in a 00 shutter). Is this a version of the Acugon, or merely a 65 f8 S-A redesigned to fit in a 0 shutter? It has far more coverage that one would expect, enough for at least 20 mm of shift.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
14-May-2007, 19:32
Your lens is a rebadged 65mm Super Angulon; later models of the SA were designed to fit into a Copal 0 shutter after the 00 size was discontinued.

Joseph O'Neil
15-May-2007, 05:32
Hi guys;
Thanks much everyone. I am really looking forward to this lens, as the coverage and movements I can get out of my camera are pretty darned good.

Now my only issue is I think I need a larger backpack for everything. :)

joe

cdholden
9-Aug-2011, 06:55
Do any of you find this lens needs a center filter?
My sample of this lens doesn't have filter threads. It should make for a nice wide angle on my 5x7. Currently my widest is 120mm.

lenser
9-Aug-2011, 10:36
More data may be available at Cameraeccentric.com.

John Schneider
9-Aug-2011, 10:48
Ilex made a few variations of that lens. I have a 90mm f8 "Ilex Acu-Veriwide" which I was told (perhaps wrongly) was a later issue.

AFAIK, just the name was changed for samples that were to be sold by Burleigh-Brooks (as it tied in with their "Veriwide" 6x9 camera name).

Steve Goldstein
9-Aug-2011, 11:31
AFAIK, just the name was changed for samples that were to be sold by Burleigh-Brooks (as it tied in with their "Veriwide" 6x9 camera name).

I think it might have been more than this. I have Jason's old Acu-Veriwide, and it's in a Copal 1 shutter. I believe the other versions were all in a Copal 0 or the equivalent-sized Seikosha - I'll check my limited Ilex literature tonight.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
9-Aug-2011, 11:41
Also, Steve's lens has filter threads, something I have not seen on other 90mm f8 Ilex lenses.

cdholden
9-Aug-2011, 14:06
I think it might have been more than this. I have Jason's old Acu-Veriwide, and it's in a Copal 1 shutter. I believe the other versions were all in a Copal 0 or the equivalent-sized Seikosha - I'll check my limited Ilex literature tonight.

Steve,
Mine is in a Copal 0.

Lenser,
Where? I've looked and didn't see anything about an Acugon.

Steve Goldstein
9-Aug-2011, 14:36
I just checked my undated catalog of Ilex lenses published by Burke&James. It says Copal 0 for the 90mm Acugon, as well as for the 47mm and 65mm Acugons.

And Jason's right about the 67mm filter threads! I'd forgotten about that.

Lynn Jones
10-Aug-2011, 13:50
These wide angle lenses where created by Manny Kiner, Pres. of Ilex Optical for Calumet. They covered 103 degrees were extremely sharp and should be "focused in". The Calumet WF Caltar was only 90mm, however the same lenses as Ilex, B&J, and BBOI were available in 47mm, 65mm, 75mm, and 90mm. They were Paragon, Acugon, or Veri-Wide by name.

They made Tessar type f 6.3, Plasmat type f 4.8 or f5.6, and a triplet 500mm. There was only on Calumet wide field 215mm f 4.7, after that Rodenstock made such a great price deal the they provate labeled all of the those lenses.

Lynn