PDA

View Full Version : Zone VI Cameras

davidb
14-May-2007, 10:55
I just got a Zone VI 4x5 and I am wondering what focal lengths can I use without changing the standard bellows?

Also, is there a website somewhere that shows all of the technical data for this camera?

thanks.

Mark Sampson
14-May-2007, 12:18
You could probably use a 90mm with the standard bellows- but no movements would be possible due to the bellows' compression. I've used that camera for over 10 years and prefer the bag bellows for anything shorter than 135mm. Calumet made the camera until this year, I believe, so they must have some information available.

Eric Biggerstaff
14-May-2007, 12:22
Depends on which model you have as some early models were made by Wista, I believe, and they may have shorter bellows than the later models made by Zone VI (I think the version made by Wisner has the same length bellows as the Zone VI version as well).

I have a late model made by Zone VI and use mine from 75mm to 300mm with no problems. It should be able to focus a 450mm at infinity. As the camera is no longer made I am not sure about a web site but Richard Ritter should be able to answer all of your questions as he was the main camera guy at Zone VI for many years.

If I am not correct I know there are several other Zone VI users on the forum who will correct me.

davidb
14-May-2007, 12:23
Well the camera kit I bought came with a Schneider 135mm APO so I think I will keep that one and add a 180mm and 240mm, assuming the 240mm will work without any major issues.

Eric Biggerstaff
Mark brings up a good point, when I say I use a 75mm, there are NO movements as it is to tight.

Eric Biggerstaff
David,

Those lenses will have no problems.

davidb
14-May-2007, 12:24
I have emailed Richard the serial number and he said he made the camera.

Louie Powell
14-May-2007, 13:37
David -

I use a 90mm on my Zone VI Lightweight. Movements are limited by the bellows to about half what the camera itself is capable of doing, but I have generally (not always) found that to not be a problem.

I did make a bag bellows, but frankly, I've only used it once. Haven't really had the need, and it's a nuisance to have to carry it.

steve simmons
14-May-2007, 13:41
As a general rule of thumb your bellows should be at least 25% longer than your longest lens and most camerras will not give much movement with a lens shorter than 90mm unless they have a wide angle or bag bellows.

May I suggest some reading

Using the View Camera that i wrote
User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone
Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

see if your library has copies

Also, try the Free Articles section of the view camera web site

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons

Ted Harris
14-May-2007, 14:00
Finally, if you want a definitive answer call Richard Ritter at 802-365-7807 ... hpartially designed and supervised the building of most of the Zone VI cameras.

Brian Ellis
14-May-2007, 18:51
There was a very good article in View Camera magazine about the history of the Zone VI camera, written by Richard Ritter I believe. I no longer have my back issues so I can't give you the date but I think it was roughly 3 years ago.