PDA

View Full Version : Can a 4x5 Sinar P convert to 8x10 ?

Ken Lee
14-May-2007, 10:26
I have a Sinar P with 4x5 and 5x7 kits.

Each kit consists of a bellows and back. It's great: simple and compact.

Given that I already have sufficient rail extension for a 450 Fujinon C, is the process the same for 8x10: just a new bellows and back ?

David A. Goldfarb
14-May-2007, 10:45
There's a sturdier rear standard bearer for 8x10". Many 4x5's already have it (in fact, I think I've only actually seen the lighter standard bearer in the manual). I think the identifying difference, is that the heavier rear standard should have a screw for locking the swing movement, and the lighter rear standard lacks this screw.

Jerry Flynn
14-May-2007, 11:08
Ken,

As David said, there is a heavier standard for the rear on the 8X10. In addition to the swing lock, the base asssembly is shifted to the right so the upright of the bearer is more centered under the back. This allows more right shift, also.

This is something to consider with the 8X10 setup. Since you have the P already, you can check this out: (I've for gottent he colors but I think you'll get my drift) on the standard bearer there are three different index marks for the rise ant the shift. If I recall correctly, the black mark is for 4X5, the green mark is for 5X7 and the red mark is for 8X10. You'll see that if you set the zero to these different marks that the fall on the back, for example becomes only about 4mm on the 8X10. Your right shift may only be 10-15 mm.

Also keep in mind that you will have to raise and shift the front standard to center it on the 8X10 back.

The overall result is a decrease in direct movements.