PDA

View Full Version : 14x17 film Options

PBrooks
12-May-2007, 21:00
Hello, this is my first official thread so please bare with me. I don't know if this is where this belongs but here goes.

I didn't know that I was going to be able to afford or get a 14x17 so fast, so I need some options and opinions. I know I should have gotten in on the pre-order from Ilford but why get the film if you don't have the camera. But, now I'm stuck. Please help.

I know I like FP4, HP5, J&C 400, So again what are my options and what are your opinions.
Thanks
Phillip

Marco Annaratone
13-May-2007, 04:13
Hi Phillip,

as someone who is waiting for a 14x17 camera to be delivered I understand your concern. The situation re: 14x17 film has not prevented me from making the big step but it is not as rosy as some people would like you to believe (this comment applies to the whole field of ULF film, not just 14x17). In fact, the first thing I did after ordering the camera was to buy a really big freezer, I'm not joking.

I am participating to the Ilford ULF film run but to cover my bets I ordered 14x17 from Foto Impex (Adox CHS) in Germany and a few days ago from Retro Photographic in the UK. The latter film has not been received yet, so I am not 100% sure they have it in stock. It does appear on their Web site though. In both cases it is Efke/Adox, and you can read plenty of complaints about how fragile and scratch prone this film is, so we shall see if it turns out to be a viable medium or not, especially if one wants to develop it in a Jobo drum. I was unable to find anything else. Hopefully Ilford will close the gap, but right now to the best of my knowledge it's either CHS 100 or NP 27 (if RP has it in stock as it seems). Or maybe TMY one day, who knows.

As of today I bought about 1000 USD in film (including the Ilford order).

14x17 has the advantage over other ULF formats that one can tap on the medical industry, and you can find plenty of 14x17 _orthochromatic_ film around. Agreed, it would not be my first choice, not even the second :-) but it is better than not having that fallback at all.

Good luck.

Kerry L. Thalmann
13-May-2007, 08:36
Phillip,

A number of dealers list 14x17 Bergger BPF200 on their web sites. These include B&H, The View Camera Store, Bostick & Sullivan, Calumet, etc. I'm not sure if anybody has any in stock, but you might want to call around and ask.

Kerry

Marco Annaratone
13-May-2007, 09:05
Phillip,

A number of dealers list 14x17 Bergger BPF200 on their web sites. These include B&H, The View Camera Store, Bostick & Sullivan, Calumet, etc. I'm not sure if anybody has any in stock, but you might want to call around and ask.

Kerry

I contacted Calumet but they never replied to my inquiry; Bostick and Sullivan told me two months ago they they had only two boxes of BFP 200 14x17 left, expiration was Jan 2006. I placed my 14x17 Ilford order through The View Camera store and they know I am always on the lookout for 14x17 film. They should have told me that they had 14x17 in stock (Fred is a great guy) but maybe we both did not connect the dots. It's worth trying. I never tried B&H though, that may be a possibility... thanks Terry for the tip!

Kerry L. Thalmann
14-May-2007, 21:34
Marco,

You may want to check out this thread (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/39234-kodak-t-max-cut-ulf-sizes-2007-a.html) on the future status of TMAX 400 in ULF sizes. It sounds promising. As long as both Ilford and Kodak are cutting 14x17 film we should be OK. Actually, more than OK as they both make some great films for ULF and alt-processes. I've already got a couple boxes of 14x17 FP4+ in the freezer and look forward to adding some TMAX 400 to my stash. Now, I just need to get busy and get my 14x17 conversion kit built.

Kerry

Marco Annaratone
14-May-2007, 23:24
Kerry,
I will certainly follow the TMAX 400 development. Better yet, you should really finish your 14x17 project. Knowing that YOU are stuck with a 14x17 beast that needs to be fed on a regular basis :) will make many of us 14x17-ers feel better re: film availability :D :D :D

Cheers!