PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Five-Seven

John Kasaian
12-May-2007, 09:24
We're invited to a wedding on Oahu :D in the middle of high tourist season:eek: . The last time I was in the Islands I took a 4x5 Crown and had a delightful time prowling Waikiki in the early morning shooting remnants of 50s and 60's architecture:cool: . Being a family trip and based in Waikiki once again, my window of opportunity for LF photogrqphy is once again limited . I'm really excited about seeing the newly restored natatorium! This time around I want to take the 5x7 Speed Graphic, shooting handheld like before, probably either Arista .edu Ultra 100 or Ilford HP-5+ .

Any thoughts or suggestions on:
1)TSA concerns
2)Photo ops not far from Waikiki
3)Experiences reloading 5x7 film holders in standard size changing bags
4)Cheap places to feed a family near Waikiki(oh yeah, The Shorebird--yummy!)
5)Any LF stuff worth checking out at the big Sunday swap meet?
6)Anything else thats fun to do thats not on the standard Oahu tourist agenda (since we've already done most of those)

Thanks!

David A. Goldfarb
12-May-2007, 10:14
Imageworks photo in Kaimuki (lots of neat 50's/60's architecture still left around there, by the way) stocks sheet film (not sure about 5x7", but they can get it). Look them up in the phone book, and you can call ahead to buy your film when you get there. They also have some interesting things usually on consignment--not on the internet, so it's not picked over.

I love shooting on the North Shore, but closer to Waikiki, just drive past the Kahala area on Kalani'ana'ole in the direction of Koko Head and there are interesting things to see along the coast starting about the Hawai'i Kai marina, Halona Blowhole, Sandy Beach and more as you head out.

If you've got more time to roam, I like visiting heiau which are scattered all around the island and hiking out to Ka'ena Point.

I usually reload film in a bathroom or closet. Usually in Hawai'i airports I find I'm asked to remove film from lead bags, so don't bother with those, but just let it go through the X-ray, because you can't count on the inspectors to know they shouldn't open up LF film boxes. Buy film locally at Imageworks and ship it back, if you're concerned.

Don't order film from B&H and have it shipped out. I did this once and it arrived way too late to be of use on that trip, but fortunately my wife's family lives in Honolulu, so I've built up something of a cache of 4x5" film at their place. I always leave my unshot film there for the next trip. Other vendors may be better about shipping to Hawai'i.

John Kasaian
13-May-2007, 06:56
David,

Thanks for all the great info! I'll have to contact Imageworks, they sound like a good resource.

Diane Maher
13-May-2007, 07:28
How about the Iolani Palace? I don't know about taking tripods inside - the day I was there it was closed (Tuesday, I think). I'd love to get some LF pics there. The only palace on U.S. soil.

Jack Reisland
13-May-2007, 10:04
No photography is allowed inside Iolani Palace.

roteague
13-May-2007, 10:49
I'm not sure if the Natatorium is open or not. There has been so many problems with it. One possibility brought up is to remove the pool. Update: Archway can be viewed from the front but the pool and bleacher area is closed.

live on Oahu, and work fairly close to Waikiki, so feel free to ask if you need anything.

John Kasaian
13-May-2007, 17:33
How about the Iolani Palace? I don't know about taking tripods inside - the day I was there it was closed (Tuesday, I think). I'd love to get some LF pics there. The only palace on U.S. soil.

What about Cinderella's Castle?:D

roteague
13-May-2007, 18:57

More accurately, the only Royal Residence on US soil. Hawai'i was a sovereign nation at one time.

Notice the attachment, and see if you can recognize the similarity with other flags. It will give you an idea who the monarchy was that influenced Hawai'i the most.

seawolf66
14-May-2007, 07:04
Another all ternative is mail the film and small stuff to yourself there, I am going on 8 day trip thru yellowstone and grand teton will mail my film tomorrow USOPS Priority mail sould be there waiting for me have advise place where I am staying I am doing so: No Airport hassel : Just food for thought: