PDA

View Full Version : epson V750 1600Dpi and Ice on Mac Os X -silverfast ?

archivue
11-May-2007, 13:30
i cannot manage to scan a 4x5 slide over 1200Dpi when i'm using Digital ICE.
The silverfast version is the 6.4... , system Mac OS X.4, Powermac G4 MDD 1.25

common problem ?

Rakesh Malik
15-May-2007, 07:56
What are the symptoms you're experiencing? Is it just that SilverFast doesn't give you the option to scan at a res higher than 1200dpi if you enable dICE, or is it dying on you?

One thing I've found is that not using dICE has improved the sharpness of my scans considerably. It also made them a LOT faster, so I don't use it anymore. Not to mention that it eats a LOT of memory.

Kirk Gittings
15-May-2007, 09:43
Is it giving you an error message or just quiting or what? Are you launching it from Photoshop (which one)? If you are you may be limited by PS's memory limitations. Try launching it from SF icon outside of PS.

archivue
15-May-2007, 10:30
after an upgrade (not for free ! a shame for a soft bought 6 months ago...)... now i can scan using ice and 2400... 2 hours !
considering sharpness, i can see no difference between ice (quality) and no ice !
is there a way to improve speed ?

archivue
15-May-2007, 10:33
for the record...
What are the symptoms you're experiencing?
when the scanner start, it stopped immediately...

Kirk Gittings
15-May-2007, 10:39
You may see speed improvements by adding more memory to your computer. You are not doing multipass at the same time are you? The reason you get the quality and it takes so long at that resolution is because SF is doing some serious number crunching. More memory may help.

archivue
15-May-2007, 12:52
You are not doing multipass at the same time are you ? NO
i have 2Gigs...

Henry Ambrose
15-May-2007, 14:08
Turn off ICE and see what happens.

archivue
15-May-2007, 15:30
Turn off ICE and see what happens...
10 minutes only per scan, and same sharpness (really), but so much dust... and so much time to clean it !

joolsb
16-May-2007, 03:31
I find using canned air helps enormously. If you view the transparency under a bright light and blow visible dust away with gentle puffs, it should take care of the worst of it.

Stan. L-B
16-May-2007, 09:11
I am using the V750M with Silverfast.
Was having the same problem with 5x4 and 10X8 scans. On reading an article in View Camera, I decided to get more memory which seems to have solved the problem.
It seems that double the normal memory bank is required to complete high res. scans. The scans are well up to my expectations for a flat bed.

My decision to increase the punch in my PC was based on an articles in the View Camera Mags. of: Sept 2005 by Michael Mutmansky and August 2006 by Ted Harris; which specifically deals with the Epson Perfection V700 and V700M flat bed Scanners.
Both these article are well worth digesting and may well be the answer to the original question relating to failure of high res. 5X4 scans.