PDA

View Full Version : When did cameras get full movements?

Gene McCluney
11-May-2007, 13:09
So many of the wood view cameras from the beginning right up thru the 1920's have only limited movements...I was wondering just when (in history) did manufacturers introduce LF cameras with relatively "full" movements? Was Deardorff the first? (In the USA)

Rafael Garcia
11-May-2007, 19:58
Don't know exactly what "full" movements are. My Gundlach Korona View Version I has front rise/fall, swing and tilt, back swing and tilt. The camera is from the early 1900's. My later version (version II) of the same camera, from the 1930's, does not have front swing or tilt, only rise/fall.

Jim Noel
12-May-2007, 08:07
If you mean identical full movements front and rear, it would have to be a monorail. Possibly the early Sinar Professional (now called the Norma), which was advertised as the first fully modular camera.

Prior to that the F&S Century Universal is the only wooden field type camera I know which had rise/fall, swings and tilts front and rear. However, I must say that the rear rise was (is) rather primitive to use.

I have one of each.

Bob Salomon
12-May-2007, 08:13
The first yaw free view camera in a monorail desisn was the original Linhof Kardanwhich had front and rear yaw free swing and tilt movements as well as front and rear rise and shift.

The first monorail camera was made by Petzval in 1857 but it had no or limited movements.