PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Kodak 2-D

Bruce Schultz
10-May-2007, 21:29
I have a chance to buy a restored 8x10 Kodak 2D with extension rail, a 240 Schneider (which I don't need), 5 film holders (which I also don't need), an Ansco tripod (that I don't really want), a 50-sheet box of Royal X film that's been refrig'd, a 5x7 split back with 2 holders, 2 blank lensboards, all for $750. Is this a good deal? I'm thinking I could sell off the items I don't need easily enough, ($100 for the lens, $100 for the holders, $50 for the tripod) leaving a good working camera that's in immaculate condition, very tight with new bellows and everything functions smoothly.

I'm getting into wet plate,m primarily portraiture, and I'm thinking of the 2D as a more suitable choice than my Wehman because I wouldn't need extensive movements and because the 2D looks more traditional. I doubt I'll be backpacking 8x10 equipment much more, even for film shots, so the extra 2 pounds or so won't be much of a problem.

I'm inclined to buy and sell my Wehman. Is this a good idea?

Eric Woodbury
10-May-2007, 21:37
Seems a little high to me, especially since there is a bunch of stuff you don't need. Sounds like a hassle.

Gene McCluney
10-May-2007, 21:39
I wouldn't sell your Wehman, but the 2d is a pretty basic camera. Front rises, rear limited tilts and swings. It would work well for Portraiture, but of course you will need a wet plate holder and probably a wet-plate back, which can be made for any view camera. I would purchase your Ansco tripod. If you get it, just PM me.

For historical accuracy you really should consider a tailboard camera, though. You can get them custom made new for not a whole lot.

Check out: http://www.geocities.com/starcameracompany/index2.htm
8x10 size brand new with 2 year guarantee is a little over $1100.

To make an 8x10 wet-plate conversion back & holder for your 2d would be $325.
Sounds to me like you would wind up spending about the same to purchase a new "more authentic" design camera, or to purchase and adapt the 2d.

Jim Galli
10-May-2007, 22:32
If you're bored some time soon, look through the pages at my web site. Maybe 75% of the work has been done with my 8X10 Kodak 2D. I've tried a lot of cameras and the 2D always seems to be the one I come back to. Here's why. A 6 1/2" Packard shutter will fit inside the camera right up against the front bulk head and the first bellows pleat. That gives a shutter with a 4" aperture that's always ready for any barrel lens I cobble onto a board. And 4" aperture is big enough that if I'm using a modern lens with a shutter, I simply open the packard up and the rear element sticks inside the open packard. Great set up. Add to that the front standard on the 2D is just stout enough and the lensboards just big enough to tolerate a lot of the medium giant antique portrait lenses. I can use a Dallmeyer 3a or a Pinkham Smith or a 14" Heliar or a 14" Verito or a 12 3/4" Cooke or an 18" Gundlach Achromatic Meniscus. With 30" bellows, that's really as close to cake and eat it too as I've found so far and I've investigated a lot of the others. Yes, $750 and then sell off the stuff sounds like it should work. Don't sell the 240 Schneider for a hundred bucks though. It should be worth $275 even if it's the old convertible.

Bruce Schultz
11-May-2007, 04:21
Thanks Jim,
I value your opinion. Having seen your work, that says a lot because you've got some fine images.
While the 2D is not an authentic period piece for wet plate, only a few of us would know that. SHoot, most people ask when my Wehman was made and they are disappointed to find out "about 3 years ago."

Ken Lee
11-May-2007, 04:43
Is the 2D intact - with tail ? Don't buy it if it only has half the bed.

The 2D is a great camera. I have a 5x7 that has been partially restored. It cost a few hundred to purchase, and few to restore to usability. So that price, with all the gear, is a great price in my humble opinion.

Can't speak to wet plate, but I have managed to make some OK (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/gallery/rj.htm) images (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/portraits/g0806.htm) with mine (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/portraits/ranger.htm).

Ben Calwell
11-May-2007, 06:26
I have a rickety 2D 8x10, and it has served me well. In my opinion, it's fairly light for an 8x10. I like mine.

Hugo Zhang
11-May-2007, 07:06
I followed Jim Galli's advice a year ago and got a Kodak 2D as my dedicated portrait camera. Another nice LFer here helped me to build a Packard shutter box with it. Now I use it more than my Deardorff. I use it with my dozen of barrel lenses, love it!

Brian Ellis
11-May-2007, 08:01
If your estimate of $250 estimate for the other stuff is right then you'd be paying $500net for the camera and the other things you'd keep (film, split back, and two holders for the split back). I think that's a good, not spectacular but good, deal for a restored 2D that comes with the extension rail and with the sliding tripod block. I paid $400 a couple years ago for a beautiful 2D that also had the rail and block. I then paid Richard Ritter $250 to add front tilt so for $650 I had a great camera (at least I thought it was great) for abut a third of the price I pad for the two Deardorffs I've owned.

The 2D is IMHO a much underrated camera for landscape, portrait, and other kinds of work that don't require massive movements, as long as it has the extension rail and sliding tripod block. Without those two items it's of limited use I think though still a nice camera. Whether you should sell your Wehman, I don't know - I would think the idea would be to buy the 2D, use it for a while, then see which you like. I think you could always sell the 2D for at least $500.

Bruce Schultz
11-May-2007, 08:32
What's a sliding tripod block. It sounds pretty self-explanatory, but I want to make sure it's what I think it is. Does it allow for adjusting the camera's angle on the tripod to enable it to pivot on one point? If so, I have one of those.

Oren Grad
11-May-2007, 08:42
What's a sliding tripod block. It sounds pretty self-explanatory, but I want to make sure it's what I think it is. Does it allow for adjusting the camera's angle on the tripod to enable it to pivot on one point?

No, it allows sliding the camera forward or back parallel to the plane defined by the tripod head, so that the center of mass is optimally placed.

I have a whole plate Eastman No. 2. Apart from being a bit heavy for the format, it's easy and enjoyable to use. It's quick and easy to set up, and although the overall range of movements is limited compared to what you get on a modern camera, IMO it's adequate for general purpose snapshooting in the field. I especially like the enormous direct front rise. For portrait work, I wouldn't find the movements on this design limiting at all.

Mark Sampson
11-May-2007, 12:57
Hey- a 2-D was good enough for Alfred Steiglitz!

Brian Ellis
11-May-2007, 17:31
What's a sliding tripod block. It sounds pretty self-explanatory, but I want to make sure it's what I think it is. Does it allow for adjusting the camera's angle on the tripod to enable it to pivot on one point? If so, I have one of those.

It's a block on the underside of the camera to which the tripod attaches. The camera slides back and forth along the length of the block. The purpose is to allow the camera to be kept more or less centered over the tripod at all times, especially when the extension rail is used. It probably isn't a big deal if the camera doesn't have the extension rail since the bellows extension is then pretty limited. But since your camera has the extension rail I think it would be important to have that block as well though I'm sure the camera would be usable without it.

I should add that I sold my 2D several years ago (I'll bend over, you kick me) so I may have something a little off in my description but hopefully you get the idea.

Turner Reich
11-May-2007, 23:15
It looks like it is too high, but if you can have Jim sell off the parts you don't need you could end up with a free camera. If it has the extension rail it can fetch as much as the camera these days. You would be able to sell the cameras and rail alone if you can't get enough for the accessories. Since you have a Wehman you probably can afford it so go ahead and get it.

Mark Sawyer
12-May-2007, 19:28
I've had an 8x10 2d for some thirty years, and while I also have a very nice Kodak Master for backpacking, the old 2d does all the work around the house and yard. It does everything I need and does it well, and is a simple pleasure to use. And with a red leather bellows, dark mahogany body and brass fittings, it's one of the prettier cameras, at least to my eyes...

neil poulsen
12-May-2007, 21:19
I have a 2D. My only problem is that, with any rise, the bellows cuts off about 3/8ths of an inch of the image. But, I have a hunch that mine doesn't have the original bellows. I'm planning on having a new bellows installed, or maybe get this one raised a little.

Very interesting that Richard Ritter can make front tilt possible. I recently saw a 2D model on EBay that had front tilt. But, that's the only one.

Jim Grimes
15-May-2007, 17:49
I have a 5x7 2D without the extension rail (got it already restored for 150 hoping to locate an extension rail for it. So far, it works well and would pick up an 8x10 if it became available. I use a Commercial View 8x10 in the studio and love that too. Need the extension rail for that one too, although the seller has promised to send it along when he locates it in his junk pile.

If there's a 5x7 extension rail floating around some place, let me know. Thanks.

Blueberrydesk
17-May-2007, 00:28
Neil, I think I may have bought that 2D you're referring to. (the one with front tilt). I recently bought one off that auction site and in effect, the front standard seems to have been replaced with a U shaped metal bracket that allows a moderate degree of tilt and rise. However, the attaching points of the bracket are such that it's incredibly difficult to lock down a tilt with any degree of accuracy. i.e. it's a very wobbly new front standard.

I've only shot a couple of shots (two days ago) and have yet to develop them, but I think I will be in the market for another front standard soon, if that's possible.

Jan Pedersen
17-May-2007, 08:07
Also just took posesion of a 5x7 2D and what a great camera. Got it with the extension and the tripod block and in very nice condition. The dark Mahogany and the aged brass goess along so well.
It does have limited movements but for landscape work i don't see any problems.
Have a feeling that we will be friends for a very long time.
Looks like this one was made around 1940

Bruce Schultz
22-May-2007, 12:22
The camera has a sliding block. I think I'm going to make the change over and sell the Wehman.