PDA

View Full Version : Lensboard size Empire State #2 - 5x7.

Shen45
10-May-2007, 18:28
Does anyone know the correct size for a lensboard for this camera please.

EMPIRE STATE NO. 2 EASTMAN KODAK . - 5X7 VIEW CAMERA

Steve

Gene McCluney
10-May-2007, 18:30
If you have the camera, you could always measure the hole.

Shen45
10-May-2007, 19:14
You know I don't know why I didn't think of that? :)

Actually I'm not in the habit of asking for help if I cannot answer the question myself so I suppose you have added to your post count.

If anyone actually knows the size of the lensboard I would appreciate it. I don't have the camera as yet and wish to make a series of boards to fit.

Gene McCluney
10-May-2007, 21:45
I am not concerned about my post count, and I apologize if I appeared flippant. While a person can measure the board if they have one of the cameras, the measurements need to take into account the thickness of the "rabbit"? around the edge, as well as the remaining thickness of the part of the board that goes behind the sliding clamp. It is so easy if you have the camera in front of you, yet so complex if you are just working from measured data. If you do get measurements, be prepared to make "adjustments" when you get the camera, as since these are old wood cameras the likelyhood that they are all identical is remote.

Shen45
10-May-2007, 22:35
Gene, I understand the complexities of the actual size and the router that may or may not be needed. I simply want the physical dimension of the board required. 5x5 -- 4x4 -- whatever it actually is. I will make the board from MDF and shape it to fit later.

I have made many lens boards for many cameras but don't have the dimension for this one.

Jim Galli
10-May-2007, 22:51
Steve, I'm 98% sure it's the same as my Eastman Improved #2 5X7 which was simply the next iteration of that camera. 4 1/2" square. 114 mm sq. OK, now I'll shift gears and give the rest in mm. Overall thickness 7mm the section that is 4 1/2 square is 3mm thick, then it dips in 5.3 mm all the way around, then 4mm that sticks inside the camera. The section that falls into the camera is 103mm sq. That doesn't quite add up but you'll figure it out ;)

So if you make a dozen boards, do a nice job and if they don't fit because you find out the Empire is 4 1/4" sq, you can send them to me. :D

Shen45
10-May-2007, 23:04
Thanks Jim and Gene.

Jim I appreciate the info as I can make all the boards to the 4.5" x 4.5" and fit them down if required.

I also have to make a reduction back but that wont take very long as I have a spare 5x4 back crying out to be used. I wasn't going to get another camera Jim -- but -- your 2D has been on my mind for a long time now. Your recent sale of the camera, lens and shutter made my mouth water. Your sale came up just as I was looking at another camera.

My lensboards as always will be very practical :) -- I won't say more :)

Steve

Scott --
11-May-2007, 10:25
I will make the board from MDF and shape it to fit later.

AACK! ...cough, splutter, spew ...

:p