PDA

View Full Version : Fujichrome T64 "performance"

Sal Santamaura
9-May-2007, 08:03
Last month after reading this thread

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00KpKr,

since I had another shoot planned to illustrate one of my wife's occasional magazine articles, I attempted to purchase a box of 4x5 RTP II to go with the four 120 rolls of Fuji's old version still in my freezer. No such luck. So I bought 20 QuickLoad sheets of the new T64 and hoped for the best.

On the way home from work yesterday I picked up finished tranparencies from the lab. Images for the cover and some full page shots were on 4x5 T64; the rest had been exposed on 120 RTP II. Bottom line: everything J.M. says in the linked thread is correct. While one might easily compensate for what appears to be an actual film speed of 80, the yellow-green cast is obnoxious. I send this publication transparencies which it scans with the goal of matching in print what's on film. Not a good idea for T64!

I'm going to reshoot the 4x5 images using one of my three remaining 120 rolls of RTP II to complete this round. Our next article isn't planned for another nine months. Between now and then I'll need to decide whether film is still viable for color applications like this. It just might be time to ride a digital horse on this course.

David Karp
9-May-2007, 08:34
That's too bad. The RTPII was really nice. I guess that's "progress" for you.

Gordon Moat
9-May-2007, 10:17
What sort of subject and lighting conditions were present at your scene when you were exposing the film? Any filtration?

You mention an ISO of 80, which implies T64 needs overexposure. What specific difference did you find between EI 64 and EI 80?

I do not currently use Tungsten films, though I do many night exposures. I am curious about Tungsten films, though unsure if I should use any. Thanks in advance.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

Sal Santamaura
9-May-2007, 11:51
What sort of subject and lighting conditions were present at your scene when you were exposing the film? Any filtration?

You mention an ISO of 80, which implies T64 needs overexposure. What specific difference did you find between EI 64 and EI 80?...This is my standard, proven lighting setup with bounced halogen lamps and sufficient blue filtration to neutralize the "off white" ceiling's paint. There were no other light sources present. RTP II exposed and processed at the same time yielded proper, balanced results.

I mentioned a speed of 80 because, consistent with that report in the linked post, these T64 transparencies look overexposed. I visually estimate them to be 1/3 stop over, which would lead one to compensate by "underexposing" the film at 80. I haven't done that since T64's sickly color kills any motivation to try correcting its erroneous speed rating.