PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Rectilinear Thread

gbogatko
8-May-2007, 16:56
Apropos Mr. Galli's petzval thread, Here is the start of one that uses early rapid rectilinear lenses. The buffalo pictorialists mention using such a lens with a wide aperture as it is "impossible to focus sharply" thus reducing the "wiry clutter" that they hated so much.

These are shot with a Chatham RR from the waterhouse stop days mounted in an Alphax. One interesting thing is that the Alphax allows a larger aperture than that which the original barrel allowed (f/4+- vs f/5.6). This lets more aberrations thru which gives brightly lit subjects a lovely halo. As with most RR's, the more you stop it down, the sharper it gets; but I like the halos, so I use it open.

George

Jim Galli
8-May-2007, 17:54
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Goldfield/AngieS.jpg
Angie, Esmeralda County Courthouse (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/01/Esmeralda_Court_House.html)

This is made with a 15 1/2" R. C. Co. Rochester Symmetrical. R C Co. very soon re-organized as ROC, Rochester Optical Co. so the RC lenses are uncommon. To add to the legend, it seems the Weston $5 RR from Mexico was also an R. C. Co. lens. Maybe Merg Ross knows a little more detail. In any case with the ancient Bausch & Lomb shutter where the iris blades are also the shutter, you can close it down far past the f45 min. (f 128 on this scale) to a pin hole if you have a pepper or something you want to expose for several hours.

Click on the photo title for some more things made with this RR.

Lovely images George. I especially like the 1st.

gbogatko
8-May-2007, 18:57
Thanks Jim. A lot of people find her rather creepy.

gb

william linne
8-May-2007, 21:35
Suter Aplanat, which I believe is a Rapid Rectilinear. I'm sure Ole or Jim will correct me if I'm wrong (which I so often am!).

W.

Jim Galli
8-May-2007, 21:53
Suter Aplanat, which I believe is a Rapid Rectilinear. I'm sure Ole or Jim will correct me if I'm wrong (which I so often am!).

W.

Spot on. Aplanat being the European name for RR's. Or is it RR's is the US name for Aplanat's. I have a lovely 27" Suter Aplanat I've not even used yet. Should be very nice on a 14X17.

william linne
8-May-2007, 21:56
Thanks, Jim. In the 20x24 print, the front branches are sharp as can be. It was a lovely lens, now living in Japan, I believe.

W.

Jan_6568
9-May-2007, 08:34
B&L ~210mm RR lens. Taken with 5x7 Century Grand camera, FP4+ developed in Pyrocat HD, POP print.

Jan

Neil Purling
9-May-2007, 10:21
Bill: can you remember any of the technical details of the shot of the tree in post #4?
It looks to have a dose of swirl indicative of uncorrected coma and other aberrations.
Was the lens used full-bore?
I have tried my B&L aplanat full bore and it looks very soft, too bad to use I thought.
Maybe I ought to give it a try wide open and have a print made anyway.

william linne
9-May-2007, 10:24
Sure, it was shot wide open. I shoot all my brass lenses wide open.

Neil Purling
9-May-2007, 10:24
Jan: The time it takes me to set up a shot I ought to stick to shooting either landscapes or roadkill. What on earth was it when it last drew breath?

Neil Purling
9-May-2007, 10:26
Thanks for the quick reply Bill. What was the focal length and widest f stop?

william linne
9-May-2007, 10:38
275mm f6

Jan_6568
9-May-2007, 10:43
Jan: The time it takes me to set up a shot I ought to stick to shooting either landscapes or roadkill. What on earth was it when it last drew breath?

Neil, it was not a road kill. It was a young sea bird which fall off the nest on a cliff. It was taken on a beach at the Island of Kauai. I am not good enough to recognize the species of the birds when they are so young.
Anyhow, I am also pretty slow and tend to shoot stones, they are even slower then road kills :). Sometimes sand, but this much more tricky, I tend to use hendheld camera for shooting sand :)

very best,

Jan

Neil Purling
9-May-2007, 13:55
If the lens was a 275mm f6 are we talking about 5x7 format?
Your lens showed some unusual effects. Was Suter a especially well regarded maker?
I just thought that if the lens was a poor example it might exhibit some unusually strong aberrations that should be better controlled.

william linne
9-May-2007, 14:05
8x10. I don't know anything about the lens except that I liked how things looked through it.

Ole Tjugen
9-May-2007, 14:07
Suter Aplanats are among the very best!

But: This is an f:6 "Serie A" Rapid Aplanat, which sacrifices some corrections for increased aperture. The "standard" Aplanat was f:7.2 to f:7.7, my own Suter is a Sere B No.6, 660mm at f:8. That one is almost disappointingly sharp all over - though I haven't tried it on 12x16" film (yet).

Ole Tjugen
9-May-2007, 14:12
275mm f6

Are you sure of that? I find a Suter Rapidaplanat
f:5 in 200, 270, 380 etc focal lengths, and a Serie A f:6 in 130, 210, 240, 300mm and so on. No Suter Aplanat 275mm f:6 at all in my books.

BTW, my favorite reference states sharp coverage of a wide-open Aplanat f:6 as "no more than 20 degrees", increasing to 50 degrees at very small stops!

william linne
9-May-2007, 14:27
Hi Ole,

Well, I don't have the lens anymore. I remember that it was a Suter Rapidaplanat, and that I eyeballed the focal length to be around 275mm. All the pictures I posted at that time, I said the maximum aperture was f6, but that doesn't really mean anything as I am often drunk, both while posting and shooting. The lens made some really pretty pictures for me.

W.

Jan Pedersen
9-May-2007, 19:50
This one is taken with a 11" TTH at f11 on 4x5 Not really any signs of a 110 year old lens

Jim Galli
9-May-2007, 20:00
This one is taken with a 11" TTH at f11 on 4x5 Not really any signs of a 110 year old lens

A near perfect example of using the lens well within it's sweet area, approx. double normal for 4X5) stopping down just enough that it was probably resolving 60+ line pairs for you. Gorgeous. Symmar's, look out. A quality (spelled Cooke) RR used this way is sharper than any Dagor.

Jan Pedersen
9-May-2007, 20:11
Jim, believe this lens was meant for larger formats and will soon be testing it on 5x7 i'm sure there wiill be a more pronounced softness in the corners there. It is very sharp in the center but somehow it still feels nice and soft when i look at the details in a larger print size than possible to post here.

Neil Purling
9-May-2007, 23:44
I have a bunch of aplanats, but the only one I have shot is the Bausch & Lomb from a 1a Autographic Junior The B&L being approximately 135mm focus, but definitely of f8 max aperture. Therefore it is undersized for the 4x5 format and I wanted the soft corners.

I also have obtained a Beck 6" f5.8, a Wray WA Rectilinear 6" f16 and finally a un-named 6.5" x 8.5" f16. Methinks that Wray will be very tasty indeed on 4x5 , because that was meant for 8x10.

Frank R
10-May-2007, 08:50
Blah, blah, blah

Show me some more pictures!!!

Jim Galli
10-May-2007, 09:10
Blah, blah, blah

Show me some more pictures!!!

Frank, jump right in here with some of your pics ;)

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Bokeh/LadyLuck_JimVersar_1.jpg
yours truly

Wollensak f6 Versar 12"

jnantz
10-May-2007, 09:33
slr+laverne

Jeremy Moore
10-May-2007, 09:57
http://www.apug.org/gallery/data/500/Amanda.jpg

RR on 5x7

Ken Lee
10-May-2007, 10:02
That's awesome, Jeremy.

Just curious: What focal length lens ? Somewhere around 300mm ?

Jan Pedersen
10-May-2007, 10:30
Very sweet Jeremy.

Jeremy Moore
10-May-2007, 11:41
oops, i went back and checked the lens used and it was a Turner-Reich 8-14-20 Series III f/6.8 convertible wide open in the 14" configuration. i was actually thinking of another image which i shot with a 180mm RR, but can't seem to locate a web copy :(

Frank R
10-May-2007, 11:47
That's more like it.

Jim: I have an Aplanat on my list of things to experiment with. Along with about eight other lenses. Right now I am getting ready to develop my first B+W film.

Jim Galli
10-May-2007, 11:53
Jeremy, now hush. That picture will drive people to Ebay doing searches for TR's! Simply gorgeous. I love the buzz above her cheek bone.

Jeremy Moore
10-May-2007, 12:54
Jeremy, now hush. That picture will drive people to Ebay doing searches for TR's! Simply gorgeous. I love the buzz above her cheek bone.

I'm okay w/ that Jim. I've already got a perfect sample of the 18" triple convertible on my 11x14 :)

Hugo Zhang
11-May-2007, 22:25
Is Voightlander Euryscop IV No.6 a RR lens? It was Domenico's birthday last week and we played with the lens. Kodak 2D with Packard shutter, wide open, of course.

Neil Purling
12-May-2007, 00:11
Hugo: It that Domenico Foschi?
I have looked through his site a few times and noted his use of old optics.
Nic photo of yourself, although focus looks slightly out on the image here. Your hairline seems sharper than your eyes.

Ole Tjugen
12-May-2007, 01:33
Is Voightlander Euryscop IV No.6 a RR lens?

Yes, it is. :)

Hugo Zhang
12-May-2007, 07:27
Neil,

That's Domenico. Yes, he likes to use old optics wide open. This lens has no waterhouse stops and the DOF is very thin. I probably moved a little when he squeezed the shutter.

I am going to spend years to discover the potentials of this lens. :)

Jim Galli
12-May-2007, 08:47
Neil,

That's Domenico. Yes, he likes to use old optics wide open. This lens has no waterhouse stops and the DOF is very thin. I probably moved a little when he squeezed the shutter.

I am going to spend years to discover the potentials of this lens. :)

That picture of mine that Steve ran in View Camera was done with a Voigtlander Euryscop Serie VI #6. Awesome lens.