PDA

View Full Version : CF tripods-a hook or not?

Eric Brody
7-May-2007, 09:19
I am contemplating a new tripod for my Arca F-line Field. The two candidates are the Gitzo 3530S, which I believe is the 1325 replacement, and the 3530. The "S" model does not have a center column and weighs a bit less, 11 oz, and costs a bit less. The 3530 has a removable center column. The shorter height is not a problem for me as I am short and use an Arca ball head which elevates the camera. I have seen and played with the 3530S in my local emporium; for the 3530, I have only the internet.

My issue between them, they have the same diameter tubes as best I can tell, is the presence, in the 3530, or absence, in the S model, of the hook. Should I get the 3530, I'll likely remove the center post anyway, so the 11 oz weight difference is probably minimal.

Do those of you using the 1325 or its newer incarnation the 3530S, miss having a hook to hang some weight on for additional stability?

Thanks for any responses.

Eric

Steve Hamley
7-May-2007, 09:29
Eric,

If you want, you can remove the center screw that the head mounts to and replace it with an eye-bolt. Some tripods have a locking pin to prevent the bolt from turning, so you may have to remove it or clean up the threads with a tap, or simply buy a replacement plate w/o the screw.

I did this on my 1348 although I've now gone back to the original design for several reasons. One is that the eye-bolt, at 3/8 inch is heavy. Secondly, my camera bag is usually too heavy to hang from the hook since I hike and the bag also has lunch, raingear, water, etc in it.

Finally, I didn't like the idea of suspending the rest of my gear near the edge of rivers, cliffs, and other hazards such that if something broke, fell over, or even out of the bag it would be a loss. You can carry a plastic grocery sack and scavenge for rocks if you like, but that extends your set up time with frequently little benefit.

I could certainly use a lighter tripod than the 1348 with 4x5, but that's the one I like. I can use it with a mid-weight 8x10 with care as it gets a bit top heavy, but I can still hike with it. My advice is to get the proper size tripod to balance with your camera and forget about the hook.

Steve

r.e.
7-May-2007, 09:30
I use the 1325 with an Arca Swiss Discovery and I have no problem with stability. On the other hand, I am not in the habit of taking photographs during a hurricane :)

Jack Flesher
7-May-2007, 09:31
I have used Gitzos with the flat top plate for the last several years and I personally do not miss the hook. These tripods are so rigid they really don't need the extra weight.

However, if you find you do miss the hook, the brass 3/8ths bolt in the flat plate is pinned into place is relatively easy to break the pin and remove the bolt. Then simply replace it with a 3/8ths threaded eye bolt that you've opened the eye on and can use as a hook. I did that the first time and ended up using it once or twice only. I've since put the regular brass bolt back and use it normally.

Cheers,

r.e.
7-May-2007, 09:38
...the brass 3/8ths bolt in the flat plate is pinned into place is relatively easy to break the pin and remove the bolt.

It certainly is, I managed to separate the bolt from its head just last week, by accident, or rather stupidity :)

Now I'm looking for a replacement, but the ones that I've come across so far are steel, and I'm a bit warry of screwing my Arca-Swiss ballhead onto a steel, rather than brass, bolt.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Also, I'm finding that not all 3/8" threads are the same. Some thread properly into the ballhead, and some don't.

Ed Richards
7-May-2007, 09:50
Hanging? You are resting the bag on the ground so that it cannot swing from the hook, aren't you? Just hanging stuff from the hook is going to create more movement, at least unless there is no wind at all - at which point you do not have movement anyway, so why bother?

Eric James
7-May-2007, 09:52
Eric,

Check out Shelson N's picture #4 on page 3 of this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=25288&highlight=PACK

I have short (hooked) center columns on all my Gitzo tripods, but this approach illustrated in the photo should save weight and money.

Good luck!

Jack Flesher
7-May-2007, 10:14
Also, I'm finding that not all 3/8" threads are the same. Some thread properly into the ballhead, and some don't.

You need 3/8ths National COARSE (NC), AKA 3/8-16. Avaialble at most hardware stores in brass. I have also used stainless steel without issue. Stainless is softer than regular steel and won't rust; never ruined a head with it.

Cheers,

r.e.
7-May-2007, 10:19
You need 3/8ths National COARSE (NC), AKA 3/8-16. Avaialble at most hardware stores in brass. I have also used stainless steel without issue. Stainless is softer than regular steel and won't rust; never ruined a head with it.

Thanks, very helpful.

Lazybones
7-May-2007, 21:25
Hanging? You are resting the bag on the ground so that it cannot swing from the hook, aren't you? Just hanging stuff from the hook is going to create more movement, at least unless there is no wind at all - at which point you do not have movement anyway, so why bother?

You sure about that?

vinny
7-May-2007, 22:03
I use the 1325 with a 3/8 eye bolt attached. I cut the last 1/2" out of the eyebolt to make it a hook shape since i couldn't find a eye hook i liked. I thread on a nut as a stopper and screw it in until there's enough threads to enter the ball head. I then hang a bag made by seattle sports from that. It's a fabric bucket made for carrying water when camping and weighs very little. I'll fill it with water,rocks or sand when shooting long lenses on my 8x10 or the pentax 67. Works great and doesn't swing around.
http://store.seattlesportsco.com/productcart/pc/mac_viewPrd.asp?idcategory=26&idproduct=316
vinny

Baxter Bradford
7-May-2007, 22:17
I have the 1325 without hook or centre column - both of which hinder very low level shots.

I drilled the brass bolt head with a 1.5 or 2mm bit and passed through a piece of Spectra/Dyneema line. In strong winds, I then hook on a length of the same line and stand on it to provide tension when making the exposure. This doesn't act like a pendulum in the wind, is very light and takes up minimal space in the bag.

tgtaylor
7-May-2007, 22:31
Hi Eric,

Last Thursday I replaced my main hiking tripod, a manfratto 441 CF, with a Gitzo 1348 and decided NOT to spend the extra cash and get the center column with hook.

I spent several days pondering over the G1327 and the G1348 and finally went with the latter. My reasoning was that the 1348 extended slightly ABOVE my eye-level without a center column (I'm 5'9" or 5'10"), so I wouldn't need it. The mfg. specified weight of the 1348 is 4.8lbs. The G1325 (which is the G1348 with a 2 leg extension instead of the 3 leg extension of the 1348) has the same vertical extension as Manfratto and would require use of the center column to raise the camera up to eye level OR crouch over, which I seldom find myself doing.

So, if I went with the 1327 (1325 + rapid column w/hook and about $50.00 less expensive than the 1348) the total weight would be slightly above 5lbs - greater than the 1348 -and I would be using the center column which can lead to some instability ( "monopod on top of a tripod"). Further, the 1348 folds to a compact 24" as opposed to 26 or 28" for the G1327 and, without a center column, will sit a mere 4" off the ground.

I purchased the G1348 from Henry's for $636 total and a Arca Swiss Z1 sp from B&H for $334 and, althought it cost me a cool grand, don't regret it. It's a solid platform to work from in the field and not too heavy to pack all day. I looked at the new GT's but think that they are too light - too flimsey-feeling for me. I think that there is a point that you reach in the total weight of the platform such that if you drop below some minimun value it become counterproductive to the stability. They may carry 40lbs without bending the legs but I'm packing a P67 or 4x5 field which weighs about 6 lbs so the rated 26.6 lbs of the G1348 should be plenty sufficient. Heck, even if I should toke it up one morning and throw the Robos (12 lbs) into the pack, it should handle it with ease.

Bt the way, I didn't discard the Manfratto (about 3.25 lbs and Gitzo G1275M about 1.25 lbs), but intend to use them on ultra long backpacks where every once of weight is important - such as the planned Memorial Week excursion from Kearsarge Pass to Mt. Whitney in the Sierra Nevada here in California. Pentax 645N or P67II?? Thats the burning issue for me now. Both would be ideal but, since I'm the mule, a choice must be made. Maybe the 645 for B&W and the F3 for chrome.

Thomas