PDA

View Full Version : Buying new 8x10, need oppinions on these fields

MarshallS
4-May-2007, 13:56
So I've delved the archives and read much but I'm in the market now and need some current oppinions/suggestions.

I'm getting an 8x10 field, I looked in wehman already but unless I can find one second hand it isn't going to happen.

I've considered deardorff but the hassell of tracking down one I'm comfortable with is lengthy.

Soooo, It would seem as though the Canham JMC810 Metalfield, and the wood field look very enticing with the only drawback of the JMC being the limited movements, most importantly the shifts.

I've read talk of the shenhau, and also the lotus, ebony etc..

My issue is- I don't take landscapes, my exposures are never less than 1/4sec, I shoot with a 240,300. My biggest issues are back pack portability and quick set up/durability.

This is coming from someone who got into lf learning how to shoot with a cambosc in the field carried around in a hunting bag all set up to do street portraiture so any field is like a gift wrapped change of pace.

So, any oppinions, problems,dislikes etc... If you could include any links to specific prices or models mentioned it helps a ton.

Much appreciated.
Marshall
FU64

Dave_B
4-May-2007, 15:26
Marshall:
I recently bought a Shen Hao 8x10 and think very highly of it. The thread with some photos of it is on this site. This is my fifth LF camera and first 8x10. The others I own are a Toyo 45AII, a Toyo 45CF, a Toyo 45CX and an Ebony SV45TE. IMHO, for the price, the Shen Hao is a first rate camera and a real bargain. I would readily buy it again. It compares well in quality and build with the other cameras I own. I thought some about the Ebony or Toyo 8x10 field cameras as I like their 4x5's but they are both much more expensive and I could not bring myself to spend that much on what is for me, a camera that I will use less than the 4x5's I own. The less expensive Shen Hao is all the camera I could need or want. If you have any questions or would like to see some additional pictures, please let me know. I will help you in any way I can.
Good luck with your decision,
Dave B.

Brian Ellis
4-May-2007, 18:25
"I've considered deardorff but the hassell of tracking down one I'm comfortable with is lengthy."

There are almost always at least four or five Deardorffs on ebay at any given time, often from camera stores and others with good positive feedback. At the moment there are five I believe, one of which looks exceptionally nice with a buy-it-now price of about $1700 IIRC. Because Deardorffs were so popular for so long they're probably the easiest 8x10 field camera to find on the used market.

MarshallS
4-May-2007, 23:52
"I've considered deardorff but the hassell of tracking down one I'm comfortable with is lengthy."

There are almost always at least four or five Deardorffs on ebay at any given time, often from camera stores and others with good positive feedback. At the moment there are five I believe, one of which looks exceptionally nice with a buy-it-now price of about $1700 IIRC. Because Deardorffs were so popular for so long they're probably the easiest 8x10 field camera to find on the used market.

I totally gotcha I'm just saying I've got little to no experience with the dorff and acordingly I don't have the time to evaluate the conditions and problems that can occur. I don't debate they are great cameras I simply don't have the background on them in the timefram I'm in

MarshallS
4-May-2007, 23:53
Marshall:
I recently bought a Shen Hao 8x10 and think very highly of it. The thread with some photos of it is on this site. This is my fifth LF camera and first 8x10. The others I own are a Toyo 45AII, a Toyo 45CF, a Toyo 45CX and an Ebony SV45TE. IMHO, for the price, the Shen Hao is a first rate camera and a real bargain. I would readily buy it again. It compares well in quality and build with the other cameras I own. I thought some about the Ebony or Toyo 8x10 field cameras as I like their 4x5's but they are both much more expensive and I could not bring myself to spend that much on what is for me, a camera that I will use less than the 4x5's I own. The less expensive Shen Hao is all the camera I could need or want. If you have any questions or would like to see some additional pictures, please let me know. I will help you in any way I can.
Good luck with your decision,
Dave B.

awesome, thank you. I'll look into them and If I've got questions I'll be sure to hit you up. Thanks very much for your input.