PDA

View Full Version : Import tax from Canada?

Songyun
3-May-2007, 13:40
Hello, if I buy a lens from Canada, and had it shipped to U.S. Do I have to pay customs?

Dave Parker
3-May-2007, 14:25
Depends on the declared value of the lens.

Songyun
3-May-2007, 15:17
Depends on the declared value of the lens.
How about $600~700?

Greg Lockrey
3-May-2007, 15:29
Probably not, especially if it is used. I purchased a lens from a guy in Ontario about a year ago. Came to me fast and no duty. I also bought several items that were new from China at higher prices than that with no problem either. One item was stopped for inspection, but no duty was applied.

Songyun
3-May-2007, 15:34
Thanks

Simon Benton
3-May-2007, 16:23
Unfortunately the reverse is not true. In my experience just recently Canada Customs have been charging duty on items over $50. At least 90% of my recent off shore purchases have been charged duty and they even have the affront to charge a $5 handling charge for the privilege of charging duty. A declared value of $600 to $700 would have them drooling.

Canadian Government at all levels seem to have a desperate need to tax everyone to the maximum. If the taxes were put to good use it could perhaps be condoned but there are too many tales of waste, theft and just plain stupidity. However, Canadians are complacent and seem content to put up with it.

Greg Lockrey
3-May-2007, 16:32
Say it ain't so....I've been barking up the virtues of Canada on another thread....:rolleyes:

JimL
3-May-2007, 17:23
Unfortunately the reverse is not true. In my experience just recently Canada Customs have been charging duty on items over $50. At least 90% of my recent off shore purchases have been charged duty and they even have the affront to charge a $5 handling charge for the privilege of charging duty. A declared value of $600 to $700 would have them drooling.

Canadian Government at all levels seem to have a desperate need to tax everyone to the maximum. If the taxes were put to good use it could perhaps be condoned but there are too many tales of waste, theft and just plain stupidity. However, Canadians are complacent and seem content to put up with it.

It's not really duty, but GST/PST, as you would pay on things you buy in the country. As far as I'm aware, there is no import duty on photographic equipment. The $5 is cheap when you consider UPS or Fedex ground will ding you at least $40 brokerage for the same thing.

Walter Foscari
4-May-2007, 07:16
...It's not really duty, but GST/PST...
Correct. And the $5 handling fee is really not bad compared to the equivalent charges that are applied in some European countries.

Dave Parker
4-May-2007, 07:53
How about $600~700?

I have not had to pay duty on items in that price range, I actually have only paid duty on one item in the last several years and that was a piece of very expensive machine equipment I purchased from India.

Dave

Simon Benton
4-May-2007, 08:45
It's not really duty, but GST/PST, as you would pay on things you buy in the country. As far as I'm aware, there is no import duty on photographic equipment. The $5 is cheap when you consider UPS or Fedex ground will ding you at least $40 brokerage for the same thing.

All the items I purchase are used and normally from private individuals and not businesses. If I purchase a used item from a private sale in Vancouver and ship it to Ottawa I do not pay tax and am not charged a handling charge. If I purchase a used item in New York City and ship it to Ottawa the odds are I will be charged tax and the handling charge. The unionised Government employees who are levying the taxes are employed by the taxpayer (me) to presumably levy the taxes - why should I be charged a handling charge for labour that the taxpayer is already paying for. This is just another disguised tax.

I never use UPS or Fedex for shipping due to their exorbitant brokerage fees - there are many threads in this forum regarding those charges.

Kevin Klazek
4-May-2007, 09:11
I find that Canada Customs is very inconsistant with the GST/PST charges. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Also the Canada Post brokerage fees went up to $8 from the usual $5, but still a bargin .

tim atherton
4-May-2007, 09:17
If I purchase a used item in New York City and ship it to Ottawa the odds are I will be charged tax and the handling charge. The unionised Government employees who are levying the taxes are employed by the taxpayer (me) to presumably levy the taxes - why should I be charged a handling charge for labour that the taxpayer is already paying for. This is just another disguised tax.

Not really - the old option was that the package was held and then you went to Canada Customs to clear it yourself making sure you had the correct tariff numbers etc. Which may well have included a trip to another town or city. Or you hired a Customs Broker to do it for you.

(okay, there was a version after this, where I recall you mailed in payment after filling out a form after the package was held at the post office)

$8.00 for them doing that for me (when they remember to do it, which is about 65% of the time) seems still a good price.

Luckily, despite it's remote nature, Iqaluit (or as it was, Frobisher Bay) had it's own Customs officer because International transpolar flights used to refuel there. But I still remember having to go down to the bonded warehouse at the airport, having made an appointment with the Customs Officer, to pay the tariffs on a postal package. Luckily she was friendly (and bored) and so she would look all the details up for me in the massive tomes of international tariffs. But technically I was supposed to have that information myself.

Canada Post now does that for you - for a fairly reasonable fee. I did once get an elasticated dark-cloth classified as a dress once though....

Jay W
4-May-2007, 16:20
I bought a used Rodenstock 210 for $400 maybe 10 years ago from a guy in Edmonton. I got hit up for a fairly healthy tax bill...I'd guess $30 and was surprised (since it was a used item). He shipped me four boxes of outdated film as compensation. I'd expect to get dinged, and if you don't, you're lucky. I suppose you could ship it uninsured and call the contents a paper weight. Isn't all film gear outdated and now classified as paper weights?

Jay

r.e.
4-May-2007, 18:21
Hello, if I buy a lens from Canada, and had it shipped to U.S. Do I have to pay customs?

There are three questions. Is there duty on a lens imported from Canada? Is there tax on a lens imported from Canada? In either case, how likely is it that US customs will ask for payment?

For the first question, it is not hard to find out from an internet search whether a duty will be imposed. If there is one at all, my bet is that it is minimal. In the case of Canada (which may be different from the US), there is no import duty on lenses. The reason is that Canada does not make lenses, and therefore has no reason to protect lens imports. It would be interesting to know whether Canada had a duty on lenses when Leica lenses were being made there.

For the second question, I believe that there is an obligation to pay tax on the import. I don't know whether it is a federal rate or a state rate.

The reason that I don't know relates to the third question. A couple of years ago, I had a new Mamiya 7 delivered from the UK to New York. The purchase price, which included the camera body and an 80mm lens, was declared on the invoice. US customs let it through without any charge.

I suspect that if Customs had tagged the package, there would have been no duty, or duty at a minimal amount, but also NY State tax in the amount of 8 per cent.

I believe that Customs people in the US, as in Canada, are busy, and that there is either an amount below which they don't bother (which is higher, maybe quite a bit higher, than what they say in official documents), or that packages are tagged on a random basis, or a combination of both.

In other words, I think that it is the luck of the draw.

Songyun
12-May-2007, 01:50
Do I pay duty for LF camera from China shipped by UPS?

Ted Harris
12-May-2007, 04:50
Songyun, it really is hit or miss. You need to research and understand the US tariff regulations and determine of the camera being importd by you is subject to duty. I am no expert by far but AFAIK if the items trademark is ot protected in the US it is probably not subject to duty. I believe it also determines how it is identified by the shipper. The short answer is you probably will not have to pay duty but you might. Check the rates and see if it is going to be a deal breaker if you do have to pay.

I have purchased new and used goods all over the world for some 30 years and had the seller ship them to me in the US. I can only remember one instance where I paid duty (a pair of B&W speakers). My new Feisol tripod arrived yesterday BTW and it sailed through customs duty free.

Dan Fromm
12-May-2007, 08:00
Songyun, I've been buying used photographic equipment, car parts, ... from sellers outside of the US for deliver to me in the US for many years. Items sent to me by mail have included aerial cameras, lenses, an MGB overdrive unit, ... I've never been assessed duty on anything mailed to me from outside of the US.

I have, though, been hit with unconscionable customs brokerage charges the one time I had something -- a gasket set for a 3l Ford Essex V6, IIRC -- sent via a parcel delivery service.

Stop worrying and have the lens mailed to you.

Other countries may charge duties and VAT/GST on items sent to their residents by mail. But what they do has no bearing on what the USPS does on imports to the US. Each country has its own laws ...

Simon, according to my state's -- NJ -- rules goods purchased out of state and delivered to residents are subject to use tax. Same thing as sales tax. This applies to goods imported from outside the country. We're supposed to report out-of-state purchases on our state income tax returns. The USPS doesn't work for the state of New Jersey, doesn't tell the state anything about what's on customs forms.

Cheers,

Dan

Songyun
12-May-2007, 09:33
The lens arrived today, I am now waiting a camera from China.

walter23
12-May-2007, 11:26

Camera gear is duty free; the only thing you pay is GST (and PST if applicable).

I've ordered lots of stuff cross border.

Songyun
17-May-2007, 22:31
Thanks everyone, I got both lens from Canada and camera from China, without any problems.

jazzjackrabbit
23-May-2007, 14:03
im from edmonton AB, did anyone ever pay taxes or duties for a video camera imported from china?????

Bobby Ironsights
12-Sep-2007, 21:39

You don't have to pay pst on used equipment coming into Canada, just GST. Also, you don't have to pay any brokerage fees. EVER.

Just ask for the manifest and walk down to the Customs house yourself, and pay the GST, then you can pick up your parcel from the UPS outlet.

It's a hassle sometimes, in the winter, and the UPS guy looks at me like I'm from mars when I deny delivery, and say I'll pick it up from the outlet, but I'm a University Student, so I can't afford to play the brokerage scam game around every time I ebay an old P.O.S. lens. :cool:

speanburgarts
27-Sep-2007, 21:20
I have purchased two Kiev 88s in the past 5 or 6 years, they were shipped from Russia and I never paid any fees.

However I suspect it is by chance, half chance you pay, half chance you pay not.

Capocheny
9-Oct-2007, 12:21
Don't do business with Canuks. Their border people are so rude the place is off the list for many who live in the neighboring states.

Dakotah,

That is the most inane comment I've read in a very long time on this site... it may well have been your experience but to over-generalize with such a sweeping statement says a lot about the inherent attitude you might have presented when dealing with those individuals.

I'm going to tell you that there ARE rude people EVERYWHERE... and, yup, probably to your surprise, EVEN down in your very own neck of the woods!

We cross back and forth at two border crossings here in Vancouver and have run into some really polite guards AND some really rude and aggressive types... ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BORDER!

Would I ever say, "Don't do business with the Americans?"

Not in a million years! :)

LOL... way too funny!

Cheers

Andrew O'Neill
9-Oct-2007, 18:56
Don't do business with Canuks. Their border people are so rude the place is off the list for many who live in the neighboring states.

Ya...and I bet if you had a gun you would have shot that guard 'cause yer a Yank and all Yanks have guns...right?? NO? Oh, sorry...I guess I shouldn't generalize, eh?

I have to agree with Capocheny on this one. I know lots of rude Yanks, but thankfully I'm mature and educated enough to know that they are not all rude...and it's Canucks :) .

tim atherton
9-Oct-2007, 18:59
of course, one of their main jobs is keeping the plonkers out...

John Curran
10-Oct-2007, 13:19
Their border people are so rude...

I've encountered some pretty rude border people coming back into this country from Baja California. You can find jerks just about anywhere.

John

Songyun
10-Nov-2007, 08:01
I received a lens from Canana, and found out that my fedex account was charged $23 custom duty. The lens was shipped by Fedex. I didn't even get an invoice! Now I am returning this lens, how can I get the custom duty back?

Ted Harris
10-Nov-2007, 08:12
Are you sure it was Customs Duty and not a Customs Brokerage handling fee? The latter is quite common when items are shipped across borders using express or freight carriers. If it is the latter then you have been charged for the shipping company's work in shepherding your item through customs and you won't get it back.

Songyun
10-Nov-2007, 08:19
Are you sure it was Customs Duty and not a Customs Brokerage handling fee? The latter is quite common when items are shipped across borders using express or freight carriers. If it is the latter then you have been charged for the shipping company's work in shepherding your item through customs and you won't get it back.

Good Morning Ted,
Here is what showed up in my Fedex

Customs Duty 23.16 USD

Total Duties, Tax, Customs, Other Fees 23.16 USD

Andrew O'Neill
10-Nov-2007, 13:25
23 dollars...whoopty doo...we would pay more up here. How badly do you want the lens??

Randy H
10-Nov-2007, 14:27
Ya know, ya gotta love them Bostonians and the parties they throw!!

Odd thing about traveling overseas and returning to US. If you buy jewelry (watches, rings, neclaces, etc) and bring it back to US in crry-on or suitcase, or whatever, you are required (supposed) to declare it. BUT, if you "wear" it in, you don't. Coming in to JFK. it it used to be fun watching some of them coming in from Saudi wearing 10+ pounds of 18K gold necklaces, and a ring on every finger. Never had to declare electronics of any kind though. (stereos, cameras, etc)

Dave Parker
10-Nov-2007, 18:19
Hmm,

That is odd, I have purchased quite a few things from Canada and have never had to pay a custom or brokerage fee coming into the US, even the items I had shipped by FedEx or UPS..

Dave

Songyun
10-Nov-2007, 21:20
23 dollars...whoopty doo...we would pay more up here. How badly do you want the lens??

I am returning this lens now.
I will follow up the story.

tim atherton
10-Nov-2007, 23:21
I am returning this lens now.

on what grounds? are you expecting a refund?

Songyun
16-Nov-2007, 14:04
The importing tax rate is 2.3% (no brokerage fee), I called Fedex today, they basically told me that I can not get the importing tax back, even if I return it. Does that make sense?
Anyone here understand the regulation of importing tax? The seller put jp as the origin of the lens, it should be Germany. Does that make a difference?

Dave Parker
16-Nov-2007, 15:12
The government, gets their money, no matter what you do..

Dave

SAShruby
16-Nov-2007, 17:00
Trades outside USA and Mexico are always subject to duties. If you return the lens you need to submit claim to Canada Tax and Services for refund. You need to submit all documentation including confirmation you sent lens back... and wait 9-12 months for refund.

And, oh, BTW, if you use services such as FEDEX or UPS or DHL, they ALWAYS charge you duties no matter what you're getting, unless it's declared as sample or gift. Sometimes you can get away with it if it is send by state regulated postal service. In my international dealings, German stuff was always subject to a duty, British would depend if it's used or new and what is declared price.

Good luck.

Joseph O'Neil
17-Nov-2007, 10:17
I've noticed on our side of the pond here in North America, as NAFTA and "free trade" expanded, something interesting happened. Almost a direct, inverse relationship in that as duties fell and faded away, brokerage fees, shipping fees, gas surtax fees, unloading & inspection fees, your dog had fleas and you mother wears army boots fees (well, not quite, but soon I am sure :rolleyes: ) all came more and more into play.

Even inside Canada, I mail order something and the cost of shipping can double an item. I am not talking about how some people will deliberately jack up the shipping and handling "fees" as a way to make a real profit - such as "free" CDs that cost "only $25 in shipping and handling fees", but honest to goodness situation where you buy a used book for $10 and the postage marked on the box by the post office is $15.

The situation really is hit and miss, all over the place. The very worst time I ever had was - get this now - I had a grave stone for a US war veteran buried here in my hometown shipped up here to a funeral home. The Veteran's Affairs office in the USA have been, in my experience, excellent to deal with to get a stone for an unmarked grave of a US veteran.

You have to provide all the proper documentation and the stone has be shipped directly to either a cemetery or funeral home, but once that is all arranged, the US Government pays every penny of all the shipping, and provides all documentation.

The stone arrives at the Cdn-US boarder, and the shipping company phones me up and gives me a hard time about paperwork not all being there, extra inspection fees, customs value of the stone, who is the owner, etc, etc, etc. All this is clearly marked by the US Government - for example- the US Government owns the stone for all eternity, they never surrender ownership.

to make a very long story short, after 20 minutes on the phone I hung up on them and my last words were : "The US Government owns the stone and all rights to it, if you have a problem , call them, and I'll be letting them know that YOU were the ones who had the problem with honouring thier war veterans. Also remember, they have bigger guns than the Canadian Customs agents."

I really said that, and hung up. The stone showed up a couple days later, no questions asked.
:)

joe

Andrew O'Neill
17-Nov-2007, 13:20
So, why is the stone being buried up here? Just curious...

kjsphotography
17-Nov-2007, 14:23
$23 bucks? Big deal. You should try living in Australia or Mexico for that matter and having things shipped there.

Andrew O'Neill
17-Nov-2007, 22:52
Exactly...why snivel over a few dollars.

Joseph O'Neil
18-Nov-2007, 07:27
So, why is the stone being buried up here? Just curious...

Wasn't buried, ti was errected here. Here's a link to one of the stones I'e brought up on my web page
http://www.start.ca/users/joneil/bw6/target4.html

joe