PDA

View Full Version : Old Bogen 3001

Jay W
3-May-2007, 10:51
I have an old (circa 1980) Bogen 3001 tripod with 3 way pan/tilt head. I want to mount this head or similar head to a Gitzo 1277 tripod.

It sounds odd, but I want to replace my Kirk ballhead with a 3 way pan head, non-quick release. I'll add a Kirk or RRS clamp later. The pan head attaches to the 3001 tripod with an allen head screw with a fairly small diameter....so I think there's no way to mount this head to the 1227 tripod.

Then I'm looking:
-3 way, pan/tilt
-non quick release (add a clamp later)
-For use with 4x5 Wisner, 'Blad, and Nikons
-Handles, not knobs
-Hopefully <$100
-Attach to a Gitzo 1227

Scanning B&H I spot:
-Giottos 5000
-Slik
-Velbon

My perception is Giottos has the better quality, but I'm open to comments.

Thanks,

Jay

reellis67
3-May-2007, 12:45
I have that same tripod and head combo - used it heavily since 1986 when I bought it brand new and never found the need for anything else except when using 8x10. My 4x5 works just fine on that setup, but if you wanted to change it, that screw is not the mounting screw. That holds the upper portion of the head on it's base. On the bottom of the head assembly (visible when you remove the center column and look at where the head attached) are three little screws - they prevent the head from turning on the mounting screw, which is a 3/8" screw in the center of the column. Remove the three grub screws and then attempt to rotate the head off. Use lots of force, and a liberal dose of swearing as a lubricant never hurts either...

- Randy

Jay W
4-May-2007, 15:57
Most excellent. Your description was perfect. The head came off without swearing (using a rubber wrench) and went on the 1227. Thanks, you saved me $75. The Kirk head went on a Benro 027 that I'll use long distance hikes (with MF or 35).

That old 3001 worked well for many years, and the only reason I swore at it is when I'd get a finger pinched in the leg top adjustment for low profile shooting. Damn, when it bites, it bites hard.

Jay

reellis67
7-May-2007, 06:03
Glad to hear that you were able to get the head off easily - I've seen them come willingly and I've seen them put up a fight. I love the low level ability of that model too. My heavier tripod has a center column so I can't get down low with it, and the 3047 head doesn't work like that smaller three way head does either.

- Randy