PDA

View Full Version : Totally black Tri-x 320 4x5" :(

Marcus Carlsson
2-May-2007, 11:20
Ahh,

I went out to do some portrait yesterday and I only shot 4 shots (I usually only shoot very few images).

When I developed them one turned out to be totally black. The entire negative is black (you can't even see that it has been into a film holder).

I have never seen this and I can only think of that the film must be ruin from start. The rest of the negatives were ok. It's a relativly new box (I think that I have only used 10 out of 50). And I load them in a Calumet changing room and the rest were find.

Has this happend to you?

/ Marcus

Bruce Watson
2-May-2007, 11:30
Ahh,

I went out to do some portrait yesterday and I only shot 4 shots (I usually only shoot very few images).

When I developed them one turned out to be totally black. The entire negative is black (you can't even see that it has been into a film holder).

I have never seen this and I can only think of that the film must be ruin from start. The rest of the negatives were ok. It's a relativly new box (I think that I have only used 10 out of 50). And I load them in a Calumet changing room and the rest were find.

Has this happend to you?

/ Marcus

Happens to me every time I forget to close the iris before I pull the darkslide. ;)

Marcus Carlsson
2-May-2007, 11:47
Happens to me every time I forget to close the iris before I pull the darkslide. ;)

Well, it can be that fault (or the model that accidently pulled the darkslide), but shouldn't at least some part of the negative be transparent?

/ Marcus

Kirk Gittings
2-May-2007, 11:56
I would think you would still be able to see some semblance of the film holder rails at the edge. So.... flashed film in the darkroom? or prior to loading?

Don Hutton
2-May-2007, 11:57
Did you ask Kirk to take them through an airport for you?

Bruce Watson
2-May-2007, 12:04
Well, it can be that fault (or the model that accidently pulled the darkslide), but shouldn't at least some part of the negative be transparent?

That would depend on how much exposure and how tightly your film holder holds your film. With a standard two-sheet holder, I've had some that didn't show any edges (a couple of minutes of exposure, wide open lens, that sort of thing). With a ready-load holder the edges usually show.

But mostly I catch this error when it occurs and I just pop the film out and put it in my pocket to make sure I don't waste the chemicals on it.

There are of course (many) other ways to end up with a totally exposed sheet of film. That's just the one with which I am most familiar (to my unending shame ;).