PDA

View Full Version : Suitable tripod for 4x5

butterfly
2-May-2007, 03:11
Hi everyone,

I know this has been debated a million times before and everyone has their own take on it, but I really value opinons and advice given out on this forum.

I have a huge Gitzo G1504, which weighs 5.56 KG without the head. This was inherited and is a brilliant piece of kit. But I know it is overkill for my set up, an Ebony 45, which I never use longer lenses with.

Now, Gitzo CF come up all the time as the recommended pods, but the price is just obscene in my opinion, but agree they are superb items. But I can pick up an aluminium Manfrotto 055PROB for a third of the price of a Gitzo. It is rated at 7KG load. My kit weighs a total of 3.5KG (camera and lens) and head 1KG. The weight of the manfrotto is 2.4KG, so the saving on my back over the Gitzo is substantial.

What is the opinion on this? Am I likely to be disappointed or have any stability/vibration issues with the Manfrotto? I'd rather steer clear of CF as I am not too careful with my tripod and wonder if they are more susceptible to knocks? Looking at pics of the Manfrotto they look very well made, all metal. Finally. I do not need something that goes really high - 5-6 feet is fine. The Gitzo I have is 5 sections and goes so high I'd need a step ladder to use it at that height - again overkill for me.

I'll be using the same Arca head which is not a problem and perfect for my needs. That weighs 1KG.

Sorry for posting yet another tripod question!

Regards

Steve

Ted Harris
2-May-2007, 04:43
Steve, it should work just fine. Others in the same class will also work fine. My personal preference is the Linhof 3414. Since it has been dicussed and debated to death there is no sense in going into the dicsuccion of round leegs v. u shaped. Or, for that matter, the strength of an oriinal Tiltall v. a new one.

Miguel Curbelo
2-May-2007, 05:05
That is the tripod I use with my Ebony 45. It more than solid enough -I'm actually looking for something lighter.

Brian Ellis
2-May-2007, 10:44
I don't know kilograms or how they convert to real (i.e. American) weights (: - )) but you might take a look at the Feisol carbon fiber tripods (www.feisol.com I think) and see if one looks like it would work for you. I've used a Gitzo 1325 for years, I recently started using a Feisol. I've been very impressed with the build quality of the Feisol and the collars are much easier to use than the ones on the Gitzo (not to mention the fact that I have to send the Gitzo in for repair beause the top section on one of the legs has come loose from the base). I still use the Gitzo for architecture (because I have a Bogen 410 geared head on it) but the Feisol has replaced the Gitzo for everything else. I paid $210 for mine which included a carrying case, leg pads, and shipping. I should add that if you habitually photograph in strong winds the Feisol probably isn't the ideal choice, nor is it a good choice if you believe you need a heavy tripod for a heavy camera. The model I use is considerably lighter than your Ebony.

Harley Goldman
2-May-2007, 15:38
I had the aluminum Gitzo 1320 and have the CF 1325. I compared them side by side while I owned both. The 1320, while weighing far, far more than the 1325, did a far worse job of absorbing vibration. The difference amazed me. Weight is not everything in a tripod. Easily convinced me to stick with CF tripods. Sold the 1320.

Herb Cunningham
2-May-2007, 18:02
I have a Gitzo 1338, plenty big for 8x10, and a reis j100 for a lot of field work. I personally would rather use the reis, and I like the way it sets up. Michael Smith showed me how to use a reis without really tightening the leg swivel screws, certainly not real tight.

I am thinking aoubt getting the H600 for a lightweight 4x5 tripod.

Anybody have experience with that application?

Greg Lockrey
2-May-2007, 21:45
I second the Feisol. For the money they can't be beat. Their customer service is great also. I got my 3471 from China to Michigan in just four days.

davidb
2-May-2007, 22:00
I've got a Zone VI tripod I want to sell...

Miguel Curbelo
2-May-2007, 22:46
I still use the Gitzo for architecture (because I have a Bogen 410 geared head on it)
Brian, can't you use your 410 head on the feisol? It is one of the combinations I was considering...

butterfly
3-May-2007, 02:57
Thanks for the replies. I will check out the Feisol. I am interested to read though about CF absorbing vibration better than Aluminium. Vibration from what though? Assuming the tipod is set up correctly on stable ground and away from traffic (i.e. the wilderness), the only thing I can think of is the little whir of the compur shutter - a million miles away from an SLR mirror slap/motordrive. Is vibration absorbtion really an issue?

I'm not disputing, just interested. How was the side by side test conducted?

I really appreciate the comments and advice.

Regards

Steve

Greg Lockrey
3-May-2007, 04:57
Thanks for the replies. I will check out the Feisol. I am interested to read though about CF absorbing vibration better than Aluminium. Vibration from what though? Assuming the tipod is set up correctly on stable ground and away from traffic (i.e. the wilderness), the only thing I can think of is the little whir of the compur shutter - a million miles away from an SLR mirror slap/motordrive. Is vibration absorbtion really an issue?

I'm not disputing, just interested. How was the side by side test conducted?

I really appreciate the comments and advice.

Regards

Steve

Vibration of wind passing across the camera and vibrations of cars and trucks going down the street. And if you are real anal, the shatter of the shutter opening and closing. :) To check the vibration dampening of carbon over aluminum, ride a carbon and aluminum bike and then tell me which is a smoother ride. ;)

Chris Fergus
3-May-2007, 06:14
I don't know kilograms or how they convert to real (i.e. American) weights (: - ))...

Just double then add 10%... 1kg = 2.2lb :)

squiress
4-May-2007, 05:54
I bought one of these at auction along with one of their ballheads. The legs are 32mm CF and I have been very impressed. I mount a Toyo 45AX on it and it is really very solid. I won it for $121 plus shipping. Weifeng is a Chinese manufacturing company that makes a lot of photo accessories. Only had it for a couple of months, but it has worked well so far.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WEIFENG-Pro-Carbon-Fiber-Heavy-duty-Tripod-FT-6827T-US_W0QQitemZ130107003421QQihZ003QQcategoryZ30095QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Stew

Rakesh Malik
9-May-2007, 07:27
Wow, lots of recommendations for Feisol here... and they're apparently running a special of some sort... offering some freebies and such :)

Joseph O'Neil
9-May-2007, 08:22
How about a wood tripod? I was in much the same position as you - I have a couple of very good, and very heavy Manfrottos, but I wanted something lighter. I looked at a couple of carbon fibre tripods - just wonderful, but the price - ack!

What turned out for me to be an elegant middle ground are two Berlebach ash wood tripods I now use, and love. In fact, if somebody offered me a trade CF for my wood tripods, I woudl likely turn them down. :)

If you haven't seen them, take a look at the Berlebachs. Lighter than the Manfrottos, heavier than carbon fibre, but they handle vibration much better than any metal tripod. Never compared them to the CF tripods for vibration, so cannot say there.

joe