PDA

View Full Version : RRS or similar ARCA-Swiss-type plate for Wista 45SP

Matthew Runkel
2-May-2007, 02:40
Does anyone know the model number of the RRS, Kirk, Acratech or Wimberley quick-release plate that is the best fit for the Wista 45SP metal field camera. I prefer a metal-to-metal connection with an anti-twist flange. Thanks.

Rakesh Malik
2-May-2007, 08:31
I'm using an MPR-1 from RRS on my Ebony. I have two tripod holes so I didn't use the anti-twist flange, but I think it meets your requirements. I'm sure RRS isn't the only one with such a rail, but I'm not familiar enough with the other vendors' products to tell you about their stuff or to compare them to the RRS product.

l2oBiN
7-Nov-2011, 16:07
I am looking for one as well. I would like a low profile one...

Bob Salomon
7-Nov-2011, 16:20
The lowest profile Arca compatible plate is the Novoflex QPL slim 39. It is at least half the height of any other plate.

Bob Salomon
7-Nov-2011, 16:21
Giottos has pop-up anti twist pins on their Arca type plates. They are available in a variety of lengths.
Novoflex uses screw-in anti twist pins on their QPL AT 1 and QPL AT 2 plates.

l2oBiN
7-Nov-2011, 17:20
Are any of these compatible with the rss bh55 flip release ?

Bob Salomon
7-Nov-2011, 17:30

All are if the RRS base is fully Arca compatible. There is no problem putting these plates on a fully Arca compatible fully automatic Novoflex Q=Base. Nor is there a problem putting RRS plate on the Q=Base.

What is not compatible between inter company plates and bases is the safety locks on the base and plates. Everybody has their own safety lock system.

Rod Klukas
11-Nov-2011, 08:00
The Wista SP does not have a square edge base unless it has changed. So an edge won't help anyway. Any of the plates above will work.

Brian Ellis
11-Nov-2011, 08:44
I'd suggest calling Really Right Stuff and asking what they'd recommend. I've dealt with them quite a bit over the years and I've found them to be knowledgeable and helpful.

Brian Ellis
11-Nov-2011, 08:51

IIRC there is a compatibility problem between the RRS flip release clamp and Arca syle plates. So RRS makes two types of clamps for their ball heads, one is the Arca type where you slide the plate into the clamp and tighten with a knob. The other is the flip-type. If you want the flip clamp then you have to buy the RRS plates (or at least some brand that isn't an Arca or Arca-style plate).

My first RRS head had the Arca style clamp because I was coming from an Arca Swiss ball head and already had a bunch of Arca plates. But the flip clamp is so much more convenient and easy to use that when I bought another RRS head I bit the bullet and bought RRS plates so I could use the flip clamp. After using the Arca Swiss clamp on an Arca Swiss ball head and then on the RRS head for years the flip system is a dream.

This is all explained (or used to be) in the RRS on-line catalog.

Brian Ellis
11-Nov-2011, 08:53
Does anyone know the model number of the RRS, Kirk, Acratech or Wimberley quick-release plate that is the best fit for the Wista 45SP metal field camera. I prefer a metal-to-metal connection with an anti-twist flange. Thanks.

If you're interested in RRS I'd suggest giving them a call and asking what they'd recommend. I've bought quite a few things from them over the years and their customer service reps have always been knowledgeable and helpful. RRS products are expensive but absolutely top notch in my experience.