PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Norma 8x10... needs a new bellows... camerabellows.com or sinar second hand ?

archivue
29-Apr-2007, 12:54
my 8x10 norma needs a new standard bellows, so i'mlooking for user experience of camerabellows.coM's bellows...

Min and max extension ? etc...

and comparison with sinar ones ?

thanks

Gene McCluney
29-Apr-2007, 13:14
You will need to send in your old bellows, and it can be matched by any of the bellows makers. If you want it longer, just tell them. Any of the bellows makers will need the wood or plastic frames that each end of the bellows is attached to.

Dave Parker
29-Apr-2007, 13:18
Based on the Sample he sent me and the comments I have seen recently from members, I would recommend Mark, in Hilo, Hi.

Looks like he makes a top quality bellows and everybody seems to be very happy with his work.

Might take a look at this thread.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=23879&highlight=Replacement+Bellows

Dave

archivue
29-Apr-2007, 13:53
by the way, i"m living in france... CEE

Michael Graves
29-Apr-2007, 14:03
Camera Bellows made an exact duplicate of my Toyo 810M bellows for about 1/3 what a new Toyo was going to cost. It was beautifully done. Total time from quote, to me shipping the frame overseas, to getting the final product back in my hands was three weeks.

David A. Goldfarb
29-Apr-2007, 17:50
It's going to be tough finding a Sinar bellows for the 8x10" Norma. My P uses the same size bellows, and I discovered while looking for a bag bellows that the larger 8x10" bellows for the metering back are much more common.

My 8x10" Sinar P bellows is and extra-long 40", so it's probably a custom job, and I have no problem using it with a 120mm lens, which is as short as I go with 8x10". I'd recommend going 40", if you have a new one made with your old frames. I've had great work from Camera Bellows UK on my 11x14" camera.

Rafael Garcia
29-Apr-2007, 20:39
I will recommend Mark Kapono even if he is far from you, in Hilo, Hawaii. Like Dave, I've had bellows made by him at a lot less cost than the other places, and of excellent quality and fit.

archivue
30-Apr-2007, 13:20
shipping + Custom +shipping Back + custom... i think i will go with camera bellows !
i'd like to be able to use a 110 without mouvements and a 450... it looks like the mark's bellows are thikker than the other ones when compressed !

Dave Parker
30-Apr-2007, 22:16
shipping + Custom +shipping Back + custom... i think i will go with camera bellows !
i'd like to be able to use a 110 without mouvements and a 450... it looks like the mark's bellows are thikker than the other ones when compressed !

Then why even ask?

Marks bellows are no thicker than the stock bellows....if camera bellows looks like it will work, then by all means, get your replacement at Camera Bellows, seems to be a pretty simple choice to me.

Dave

archivue
1-May-2007, 04:46
Then why even ask?

as i said : Min and max extension ? etc...

they told me that they can make it as long as i want, but i'd like to be able to use a 210 with mouvements without the need of a bag bellow, while being able to focus till nearly 1/1 with a 360... but i'm not shure if it's possible !

Ole Tjugen
1-May-2007, 05:16
That should be quite possible - my 24x30cm plate camera (ca. 1910) can focus a 50mm lens at infinity, and use a 420mm lens at 1:1. 84cm of bellows compresses to 3cm with the standards touching. A 110mm lens is long in comparison.

Jerry Flynn
1-May-2007, 08:11
This may be just folklore, but I think I read somewhere that CameraBellows made the original equipment Sinar bellows. I'm sure they have made plenty of replacements anyway.

Gene McCluney
1-May-2007, 09:29
Generally speaking, a camera that has a tapered bellows from front to back allows the front and rear standards to nest together closer, whereas a camera that has a non-tapered bellows design cannot be collapsed as far. I don't have a Sinar Norma, but I do have a Sinar P-expert with 8x10 back, and it has a tapered cross-section to the bellows, as the front of the bellows fits the standard P front standard., therefore it can be collapsed quite well without the need for a "bag" bellows, but needs a bag bellows for ultra-wide when using the 4x5 back, as with the 4x5 back the bellows is non-tapered, or square section from front to back.

archivue
1-May-2007, 13:23
thanks for all your contributions !

By the way, isn't it possible to make a home made leather bellows as the arca leather one's ?