PDA

View Full Version : Compendium lens shade with filter holder

Louis
2-Sep-2000, 02:51
I am looking for a compendium lens shade with filter holder for my Calumet Woodf ield 4X5. I am looking for a shade that I can easily put in my backpack and can take my Cokin P filters. Any suggestions? Do I need a compendium lens shade f or landscape photography? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Wayne_6692
2-Sep-2000, 03:58
Everyone needs a compendium (they just don't know it). LEE shades are very good. Check their website.

http://www.leefilters.com/

Glenn Kroeger
2-Sep-2000, 11:08
Louis:

Lee Filters parent company makes a compendium shade that fits the Cokin P holder, and works just like the Lee shade. It is called the ProHood. I bought mine from a company in England and will post the URL when I get home. You can also find this item on the Lotus view camera web site.

Glenn Kroeger
2-Sep-2000, 11:17
Here is a picture and description from the Lotus site.

http://www.lotusviewcamera.at/filters_e.html

Ted Brownlee`
4-Sep-2000, 14:29
Louis:

I would second the advice for the Lee Prohood. I purchased the Prohood 84 a couple months ago for my Bronica system and it has worked out quite well. I use it with a Cokin P adapter. With an adapter ring on each lens, I can swap the filter adapter (and any installed filters) and lens hood from lens to lens very quickly. Although this is a wonderful piece of equipment, there are a couple things to be aware of.

There is no scale to measure how far you extend the shade against. For each lens, install the shade & stop the lens down to the minimum aperture. Sight backwards through the lens past a corner of the shade. If you cannot see the corner of the ground glass frame in the back of the camera, the shade will vignette the film. Compress the shade until you can see the frame corner. I use my index finger as a scale while I pull the shade out.

The second thing to be aware of, is that the shad will not index in the Cokin filter adapter slot. There are mount rails on the back of the shad to mount it in the front filter slot of the adapter. These rails are slightly bent to provide frictional force so the shade doesn't slip out of the holder. This works statically, ie, when you've got the camera on a tripod, but when you start carrying the camera around on the tripod over your shoulder, the shade will slip off after 100 yards or so of walking. The lack of an index detent also means you have to ensure that the shade is centered on the filter adapter.

Having said this, I still like the Prohood. It works extremely well with longer lenses in backlight situations. It's flexibility allows me to shape the shade to suit the lighting conditions. On a recent trip to the coast, I was shooting nearly directly into a sun that was only 5-10 degrees above the horizon and just outside of my frame. I was able to tweak the top edge of the shade downward to block the flare.

Although I use large format, I have not tried this system on my 4 x 5 yet.

Good Luck!

~Ted

Ted Brownlee`
4-Sep-2000, 14:32
...I almost forgot, you can purchase the Prohood 84 from B&H Pboto Video.