PDA

View Full Version : Request for photographs taken with a Wollensak 159mm.

Deniz Merdanogullari
28-Apr-2007, 21:39
I am interested in phototographs taken with this lens on a 8x10 camera.

If you have any photos that were taken with s similar focal lenght, please do post.

I just got this lens CLAed so i am kind of excited.

thank you!

Brian Ellis
29-Apr-2007, 08:50
What's your purpose in asking for these photos? I used the Wollensak 159 f9.5 for quite a few 8x10s and could find some to scan and post but I don't understand what it is you're after. If it's some item of information I'll be glad to go to the trouble of finding the prints, scanning, and posting to help you out. But if you're just curious to see what generic photos with this lens look like then I'd rather not since you have the lens and can see for yourself.

John Kasaian
29-Apr-2007, 09:05
IIRC Correctly, Butch Welch has examples of this lens on his website.

Deniz Merdanogullari
29-Apr-2007, 09:28
Im mostly curious about the corner sharpness and the perspective on the 8x10 camera.
When i got it CLAed, i also got the restrictor on the aperture removed so it opens up all the way! much convinience for framing.

Ive been using a 210 lens on the 8x10 as wide just wondering what the 159 will look like..

thank you

Jorge Gasteazoro
29-Apr-2007, 10:21
Here you go...

Vaughn
29-Apr-2007, 10:41
Here's one. I have never been able to get anything close to sharp corners with it. But it is a fun lens.

Vaughn

It is a photo of my three boys (near center of image). Scanned Platinum/palladium print (8x10).

Edited -- replaced image with another copy of the same.

Deniz Merdanogullari
29-Apr-2007, 10:50
John, Butch's website seems to be down.. i was kind of curious.
Thank you Jorge and Vaughn.

Vaughn, did you post a wrong photo? or should i chug this cup of coffee first then comment?

Vaughn
29-Apr-2007, 10:56
John, Butch's website seems to be down.. i was kind of curious.
Thank you Jorge and Vaughn.

Vaughn, did you post a wrong photo? or should i chug this cup of coffee first then comment?

No, its the right image -- it is difficult to find the boys in the actual print, let alone a poorly scanned image on a screen!

The boys' faces are the 3 little dots just left of dead center. I just replaced the scanned image with one I just took of the print with a dig camera -- hopefully it is a little easier to see.

Vaughn

Vaughn
29-Apr-2007, 11:34
Here is another one of the boys taken with the Wollie 159 f12.5.

Find the Waldo (Wollie?) boys...

8x10 platinum/palladium print -- from camera negative. Print then rephotographed with digital camera for posting here.

Vaughn

Deniz Merdanogullari
29-Apr-2007, 11:46
boy those are some challenging images vaughn! especially on my high res, computer screen.
I hope you found your boys after you took the pictures.

Vaughn
29-Apr-2007, 15:00
boy those are some challenging images vaughn! especially on my high res, computer screen.
I hope you found your boys after you took the pictures.

But that is what is interesting about the 159mm -- the boys weren't really very far away! Both were taken at f45...the Boys had to hold still for 30 seconds.

I have made some 4x10 images with the 159mm that worked out well. I took a portrait of two of my boys up against a flat vertical rock face...only about 8 to 10 feet from the camera. I had thought that being so close would give me a larger image circle -- still ended up with a couple soft corners. Could be a combination of the lens and the operator!

Vaughn

Sylvester Graham
29-Apr-2007, 15:09
Vaughn, where the heck is that? Those trees are huge! I might guess redwood forest, but I've never been there so I won't embarrass myself.

Vaughn
29-Apr-2007, 15:28
Vaughn, where the heck is that? Those trees are huge! I might guess redwood forest, but I've never been there so I won't embarrass myself.

Yes it is in the Redwoods -- Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park...about 50 miles north of my house. The other photo also -- but right nearer the ocean. This park has become my "backyard" as I have been photographing there for almost 30 years. My boys are 10 years old, so I can take them out there now and they treat it as one big jungle-gym as I photograph. One can't see them as they move thru the undergrowth, but hearing them is easy!

I started a series of my boys in the landscape a while back -- the 159mm lends itself well to the series. The soft corners and light drop-off help to keep one's eye towards the center of the image. Using it has helped to break me of the "Everything Sharp" menatilty. It is a fun series to do and I like the way it introduces photography to my boys.

But I wonder if others are getting sharper corners than I am -- wondering if there might be some variation between the lenses. Mine appears to be the original shutter.

Vaughn

Deniz Merdanogullari
29-Apr-2007, 15:46
Which version do you have Vaughn? i know you said 12.5 but whats the shutter and what exactly does it say on the lens face?

william linne
29-Apr-2007, 15:51
First one I ever shot with that lens, the f9.5 version. Lots of flare at the top. It's the only example I have on this computer. Oh yeah, I shot it wide open.

W.

Mike Castles
29-Apr-2007, 19:02
Hey Deniz, don't have the lens, but I do have the print that Jorge posted and can tell you the scan does not come close to the print. I would say it is a sweet little lens.

Diane Maher
29-Apr-2007, 19:16
I have the 9.5 version of this lens and found that it had soft corners on 8x10. It's not a bad effect though.

Deniz Merdanogullari
29-Apr-2007, 20:02
I believe 12.5 has more coverage and a little sharper but i guess only exposed negatives will tell the real story.
I wish i had the time to get out there to burn some silver!

Vaughn
29-Apr-2007, 20:05
Which version do you have Vaughn? i know you said 12.5 but whats the shutter and what exactly does it say on the lens face?

I'll do that Deniz. But it will be tomorrow as I am up at the darkroom and miles away from the lens. But my best guess is that it is a Wollensak E.X.W.A. 6 1/4" (159mm) 8x10 f/12.5 Perhaps Series III.

But I'll double check in the morning. I don't believe it is coated.

Vaughn

Vaughn
2-May-2007, 10:18
Finally found/took the time to look.

It says: Wollensak 8x10 Series IIIA EX.W.A. f12.5 6 1/4" Focus No. 12xxx

In a Wollensak Rochester USA Alphax shutter f12.5 to f45

Vaughn

Deniz Merdanogullari
2-May-2007, 11:13
Thanks vaughn,
mine seems to be an earlier model No:11xxx and its in Betax No3 shutter.