PDA

View Full Version : Contact prints w Film in Sleeves: How to do it right?

G Benaim
28-Apr-2007, 03:25
Hi All,

I've run into a little problem. When doing my 4x5 proofs w the film inside printfile sleeves, I get out of focus areas which are not in the neg and don't appear when printing without the sleeves. For obvious reasons I'd like to be able to do my proofs w the sleeves, so was wondering whether there's some way around this problem. I haven't had this happen w 6x6, so it's go to do w the thickness of the 4x5 sleeves. I tried pressing on the glass while exposing, but that didn't do it. Thanks in advance,

GB

Donald Qualls
29-Apr-2007, 11:16
The only thing I can suggest is that the stiffer 4x5+sleeve combination may be compressing your base layer (foam?) more than the 6x6 does, and/or the 4x5 sleeve may be trapping more air. Either one could lead to separation of the negative from the paper.

The problem with pressing down on the glass is if you press harder, you risk breaking the glass (I've got a sheet with a big crack in it from exactly this). Best I could suggest would be a different base layer with less give, and thicker glass (which would flex less -- the amount of flex in an 8x10 inch sheet of 1.5 mm glass of the type used in picture frames and small window panes is remarkable), ideally with a clamping system so you can get consistent pressure without risking your body parts pushing down on the glass.

My experience has been that proofing in the sleeves just doesn't work very well at all, but since I scan my negatives, I don't bother making contact proofs any more, I just go straight to enlargement for the ones I want to print.

Michael Alpert
29-Apr-2007, 11:56
I don't use Printfile sleeves for my 5x7 negatives. Instead I use a system of polypropylene interleaving folders, "Balanced Seam" envelopes, and archival boxes manufactured by Light Impressions and other companies. The envelopes and boxes offer better protection, less needless handling of negatives, and a more compact storage arrangement. The interleaving folders are very thin, but I still take my negatives out of them when I make contact sheets. I try for the best print I can make while recognizing the restraints involved in keeping everything consistent. I hope this alternative idea helps.

Larry Kalajainen
30-Apr-2007, 06:05
Hi All,

I've run into a little problem. When doing my 4x5 proofs w the film inside printfile sleeves, I get out of focus areas which are not in the neg and don't appear when printing without the sleeves. For obvious reasons I'd like to be able to do my proofs w the sleeves, so was wondering whether there's some way around this problem. I haven't had this happen w 6x6, so it's go to do w the thickness of the 4x5 sleeves. I tried pressing on the glass while exposing, but that didn't do it. Thanks in advance,

GB

I haven't had this problem. I put my enlarging paper on the baseboard rather than on an easal. I then lay my negs in printfile sleeves on the paper, place a sheet of 1/4" glass over and expose. The glass is heavy enough to press the negs flat, and the baseboard is hard so there's no "give."

Larry

Brian C. Miller
1-May-2007, 22:32
My glass broke due to moving, so I had a replacement made from Plexiglas.

Jim Noel
2-May-2007, 13:38
I never prof through negative sleeves and do not allow my students to do so.