PDA

View Full Version : Dear Dorff...It's ALIVE!!!!

Kevin Klazek
27-Apr-2007, 18:21
Well after about 3 months of work and waiting for parts, my new old V8 is alive again. This little (big!!) beauty started out in 1975 and was put into professional service. When I got a hold of it, it had definitely worked a hard life. A little TLC and some new parts and it is ready for another 30++ years. I totally stripped it down and refinished in a lacquer. Ken Hough provided some of the parts and screws I needed and some details on date of manufacture. It was delivered to Trek Photo in Chicago, but ended up in Toronto, where I eventually rescued it. The new bellows is from Mark Kapono in Hawaii. Mark did a fabulous job. I sent him the old bellows and frames and he duplicated the factory box and taper style. The bellows fit perfectly and have minimal sag at the full 31 inch extension. I highly recommend his services. His price was very good and his communication and work is excellent.
This is the second dorff I have rebuilt. The first was a 1938 V5. A few minor things to finish up and I can burn some film. This is my first 8x10 so I am looking forward to shooting in this format.

bobc
27-Apr-2007, 19:02
It's alive alright!

Wonderfully restored! Congrats and enjoy....

Cheers,

Jan Pedersen
27-Apr-2007, 20:23
Beautiful job Kevin. Please contact me 30 years form now, i would like to take it over.

Brian Ellis
27-Apr-2007, 20:24
Beautiful work. I think a Deardorff in excellent condition is the most beautiful 8x10 camera there is. How about an article on how you did it, or maybe a summary here? Enjoy the camera, I've owned two and regretted selling each one.

Capocheny
27-Apr-2007, 20:48
Hi Kevin,

Beautiful job... soooooo, what's your address for restoration work? :)

Cheers

Ash
28-Apr-2007, 02:16
If you don't mind me asking, how much did Mark charge on this occasion?

I'm thinking I may need his contact details to sort the bellows on my Korona :)

John Kasaian
28-Apr-2007, 07:16
What a beautiful camera! The v-8 'dorff is a pleasure to use---have fun!

Kevin Klazek
28-Apr-2007, 07:17
Thanks for the compliments guys. These truly are beautiful cameras as Brian notes. I will definitely burn some film in the next week or so...can't wait!!

Ash, definitely get in contact with Mark. You will not be disappointed. He charged me $250USD for the bellows. I would think smaller formats would be less. Camera Bellows UK was about $330USD. I used Camera Bellows for the V5 I rebuilt and I am very happy with their product and service also. Both make first rate replacement bellows. Mark was so responsive to my questions before I gave him the order and coupled with the good feedback I read about him from others, I felt very confident he would deliver a quality replacement.

Kevin

Rafael Garcia
29-Apr-2007, 17:38
Ash:
Look for Replacement Camera Bellows.com . Mark is in Hilo, Hawaii. He folded my new bellows on my half-plate Asanuma and did a fantastic job, very inexpensively.