PDA

View Full Version : Non Red window 617 roll film back for 5X7

Songyun
26-Apr-2007, 19:36
Are there any such roll film backs besides Canham 617?
I know ShenHao has a red window one, I am never a fan of red window roll film backs.

David A. Goldfarb
26-Apr-2007, 19:44
There's just the Canham, and there's a new Horseman 6x17 back I think, but I don't know if that's for 4x5" or 5x7".

Red window backs offer the advantage of perfect frame spacing and mechanical simplicity. Some of them (like the Focus DaYi back) just have an open window and foam light baffling, so you can read the numbers clearly and don't have any light leaks.

Oren Grad
26-Apr-2007, 20:00
I think the Horseman 6x17 back is only for the SW617 Pro - no mounting panel to fit the 5x7 pseudo-Graflok fitting introduced by Canham.

Songyun
26-Apr-2007, 20:26
There's just the Canham, and there's a new Horseman 6x17 back I think, but I don't know if that's for 4x5" or 5x7".

Red window backs offer the advantage of perfect frame spacing and mechanical simplicity. Some of them (like the Focus DaYi back) just have an open window and foam light baffling, so you can read the numbers clearly and don't have any light leaks.

One of the problems with red window backs is at low light situation, it is hard to read the number.
I know the DaYi/ShenHao 617 back. I don't think I am going to get one of these.

Songyun
26-Apr-2007, 20:31
I think the Horseman 6x17 back is only for the SW617 Pro - no mounting panel to fit the 5x7 pseudo-Graflok fitting introduced by Canham.
Is it common for 5X7 camera with a Graflok? I don't see many 8X10 with "graflok".

What is a good solution to shoot 6X17, if I would like to focus on Ground glass, and with some shift and tilt.

Oren Grad
26-Apr-2007, 20:48
Is it common for 5X7 camera with a Graflok? I don't see many 8X10 with "graflok".

No, it's not common - it's a recent development. Keith Canham added Graflok-type clips to his 5x7 camera backs to accommodate his 6x17 roll holder. I think at least a couple of other camera vendors have since added the clips for compatibility with Canham's holder - the ones that come to mind are Mike Walker with his Titan XL Wide 5x7 and Ted Bromwell, who I think offers an adaptation of his Osaka-brand variant of the Tachihara 5x7 camera.

What is a good solution to shoot 6X17, if I would like to focus on Ground glass, and with some shift and tilt.

It depends whether you want maximum versatility or lowest cost. If you want maximum versatility, the best choice is probably one of Keith Canham's 5x7 view cameras or Mike Walker's Titan XL Wide 5x7, together with Canham's 6x17 back. For lowest cost, it would be one of the inexpensive Chinese extender backs made for 4x5 cameras.

Songyun
26-Apr-2007, 21:03
No, it's not common - it's a recent development. Keith Canham added Graflok-type clips to his 5x7 camera backs to accommodate his 6x17 roll holder. I think at least a couple of other camera vendors have since added the clips for compatibility with Canham's holder - the ones that come to mind are Mike Walker with his Titan XL Wide 5x7 and Ted Bromwell, who I think offers an adaptation of his Osaka-brand variant of the Tachihara 5x7 camera.

It depends whether you want maximum versatility or lowest cost. If you want maximum versatility, the best choice is probably one of Keith Canham's 5x7 view cameras or Mike Walker's Titan XL Wide 5x7, together with Canham's 6x17 back. For lowest cost, it would be one of the inexpensive Chinese extender backs made for 4x5 cameras.
I don't like the extender backs for 4X5.
I will go with a 5X7 with 617 roll film back later.

David A. Goldfarb
27-Apr-2007, 05:18
I think Wista offers a Graflok option to take the Canham back.

Nick_3536
27-Apr-2007, 05:27
Lowest cost is going to be 5x7 sheet film cropped.
Then a L darkslide so you can shoot two images on each 5x7 sheet.
They used to make sliding backs to shoot 2 portraits on 5x7 so I guess somebody could rig up a back to shoot 6x17 instead of sliding the other way.

Songyun
27-Apr-2007, 07:26
Lowest cost is going to be 5x7 sheet film cropped.
Then a L darkslide so you can shoot two images on each 5x7 sheet.
They used to make sliding backs to shoot 2 portraits on 5x7 so I guess somebody could rig up a back to shoot 6x17 instead of sliding the other way.
The problem with L dark slide is the possible light leaking.

David A. Goldfarb
27-Apr-2007, 07:39
I've used an L-shaped darkslide quite a bit with 8x10" and have never experienced any light leaks.

Songyun
27-Apr-2007, 07:48
I've used an L-shaped darkslide quite a bit with 8x10" and have never experienced any light leaks.
I used it on my 4X5, I am a little concerned about minor light leak from that.