PDA

View Full Version : Wanted:Replacement springs for a Calumet rail

nelsonfotodotcom
26-Apr-2007, 14:35
Folks, I need either a set of replacement springs off a trashed back, or clear instructions for manufacturing a replacement out of what-have-you. I've been told to make them out rake tines, and supposedly they can be done out of stiff wire. I would prefer to replace them with OEM springs, but doubt there's a source. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

This might better belong in the FS/FT/Wanted forum. Mod, please move if that's the determination.

Thanks,
Craig

Greg Lockrey
26-Apr-2007, 15:43
Making your springs from rake tines sounds like a good idea, just don't use those cheap plastic Chinese rakes, but good American steel rakes. Actually, banding steel is probably a better grade of steel for your purpose. :) ;) :)

Greg Lockrey
27-Apr-2007, 00:09
Try RT Ritter at http://www.lg4mat.net/index.html

JW Dewdney
27-Apr-2007, 01:54
You need something called 'spring steel' - and from what I recall - it needs to be heated/hardened after being cut. A competent machine shop can do this. I needed to do the same thing once - to a nearly identical camera belonging to a neighbour, which I was borrowing (first 4x5 experience) and got hit by a truck during a long night exposure. Little story there...

nelsonfotodotcom
27-Apr-2007, 04:57
Danke.

Richard Wasserman
27-Apr-2007, 05:42
Have you tried calling Calumet? They still have some parts for their older cameras, maybe you'll get lucky.

Kirk Gittings
27-Apr-2007, 08:49
Last time I checked, Calumet still had virtually all the parts still in stock. The springs from the bail back come in two lengths. They are interchangeable. I get the long bail springs, because it gives you more room to slide say Polaroid pack film backs in. We use these so heavily that they break often. as a result I double up the springs cutting off the loops on the top one.

nelsonfotodotcom
1-May-2007, 12:41
Will do. Thanks.

Kirk Gittings
1-May-2007, 13:59
If my use of them is a little confusing, email me when you get them and I will walk you through it.