PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss B1 Problem

Doug Dolde
23-Apr-2007, 09:54
My B1 has developed a very stiff panning mode. It will turn but with way too much effort. I see three screws on the bottom but don't know if I would be literally "opening a can of worms" to remove them. I am guessing it might be dirty internally.

Any of you guys had any experience with this issue?

Jack Flesher
23-Apr-2007, 10:28
Those three screws will not allow you access... The thing is a Chinese puzzle to dis-assemble. To clean it, I would first try soaking it in a solvent, but would use one that evaporates like paint thinner. For safety, I would probably follow up the paint thinner with a rinse with Alcohol. Shake it dry then put the hair dryer to it to drive out the remaining alcohol. Let it sit a day and all should be well.

Whatever you do, do NOT try and squirt any lube down inside or you'll screw up the friction pads and it will need a factory CLA. You can wipe some car wax or paraffin on the ball to smooth things up a bit.

Cheers,

Doug Dolde
23-Apr-2007, 10:41
It ain't the ball that's locking up just the panning motion at the base.

Jack Flesher
23-Apr-2007, 10:59
Understood, but that uses the same friction material as the ball lock. It can get wet or possibly contaminated with oil and then swell up. If that's what is wrong, you need to get it clean and dry so it can shrink back up to its normal dimension, freeing up some clearance for it to turn freely. If that doesn't fix it, it is probably going to need a trip to factory repair.

Eric Brody
23-Apr-2007, 10:59
Doug,

I have three words for you... Precision Camera Works, in Chicago. Check the website, call, or email them, they may be able to help. When my B1 panning would not screw tight, and moved with the slightest bump (a frequent disaster with a monorail camera) I ended up sending it to them and upon its return, the whole thing felt like a brand new head.

Good luck.

Eric

resummerfield
23-Apr-2007, 12:17
.... Precision Camera Works, in Chicago. .....I had a similar problem with a B2, and Precision made it like new! Fast turn, excellent prices.

Doug Dolde
24-Apr-2007, 09:01
Here's the scoop in case anyone has the same problem, per Bob Watkins.

He asked " When you turn the pan knob counterclockwise to loosen, does it stop or keep turning until the knob falls off in your hand?"

My answer was Yes it falls off. His reply:

"Good! Then it's an easy fix. All you have to do is put a little locktite (red, permanent type) in the hole in the knob and screw it on real tight. Be careful not to use so much that it sqeezes out and get on the threaded shaft where it enters the shoulder to the housing. I usually apply it with a toothpick to avoid using too muchYou can purchase loctite at most hardware or auto supply stores. The loctite should set in a 1/2 hour or so and then all should work well again."

Jack Flesher
24-Apr-2007, 09:10
Wow, interesting... Red loctite is the stud/bearing mount and very permanent. I'll be curious to hear from you after this fix!

Harley Goldman
24-Apr-2007, 14:43
Shoulda stuck with the BH-55. :)

Doug Dolde
24-Apr-2007, 15:28
No way... I hated it !

Harley Goldman
24-Apr-2007, 16:39
I knew you would say that! :)

Joe_6286
24-Apr-2007, 18:21
Doug,
What didn't you like about the BH-55 ? (I tried an Arca B1 and didn't like it because the panning wouldn't lock down that tightly and was thinking of trying the RRS BH-55).
Thanks,
Joe

Brian Ellis
25-Apr-2007, 09:20
Ah, fond memories (not) of owning a B1 and dealing with Precision Camera Works, not once, not twice, but three times over a 12 year period and minimal usage. I think I paid almost as much in repairs and shipping as I did for the head. This isn't a knock on Precision Camera Works, they did a great job with all three repairs, but it's kind of amazing that a head this expensive would have so many problems. And that isn't even counting the two freeze-ups that I fixed myself after Precision told me how to do it.

Doug Dolde
26-Apr-2007, 14:47
Hey the Loctite did the trick. Very simple fix.

Why didn't I like the RRS head? I dunno just didn't.