PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Color 45s

merlo.luca1961@libero.it
22-Apr-2007, 13:35
I am in the market for a monorail view camera and I found here in Italy a Linhof Color 45 s in excellent conditions. I played around a bit with the camera and it seemed a very good camera despite its age. I would like to know now the folowing:

1) How would you rate this camera overall and for a usage "in the field". Note that my alternative would be a Toyo 45 cx.
2) I have not understood if this camera needs any device to be attached to a tripod (the Berlebach or the Manfrotto that I own).
3) What is the rigid camera case that you suggest for a camera like this (my intention is to take it to location not disassembled but in the "assembled" and ready to use form.

Ciao and best regards from Italy.

Luca

Bob Salomon
22-Apr-2007, 14:21
The 45S, the B and the original Super Color all had a tripod mounting clamp that went around the rail. That is what mounted the camera to the tripod.

If that clamp is missing you will have a significant problem as Linhof has none left and has not made the clamp for about 20 years. They also make nothing that attaches directly to the clamp (in the case of the 45 S that would be an auxialliary standard which you wouldn't need anyway with the S).

All current Kardan accessories that attach directly to the front and rear standards fit this camera. That would include: lens boards, ground glasses, fresnel, compendiums, viewing devices, Focus/Metering bellows, rise extenders, etc. The spacer for the back that allows swings with the back in the horizontal (landscape) position is also no longer available.

Ole Tjugen
22-Apr-2007, 17:37
A Linhof Color was my "field camera" for several years. I finally sold it after buying a Carbon Infinity. I carried the camera, six lenses, dark cloth, extra film, filters, and 15 holders in a small Lowepro S&F Rover Light, where the CI just won't fit at all!

Yes, the clamp is an important piece. I left mine on the tripod, and just unclamped the camera for carrying.

By sheer coincidence, I have a spare clamp (and still have it). :)