PDA

View Full Version : Arca swiss p1?

stompyq
22-Apr-2007, 12:26
Looking to finaly retire my graf studio ball. I am considering the arca swiss p1. Only problem is there's next to no information on it (save for the photokina reports). Anyone have this head. On paper it looks a cool combination but the design looks so radical that i am a little worried about commiting.

Eric James
22-Apr-2007, 14:28
I'm also interested in hearing more. There are two versions (P1-S and P1-D) going for roughly $400 and $550 USD with quickset and flip lock - an expensive gamble for sure.

Here's more info for those who are curious.

http://precisioncameraworks.com/Media/Photokina2006.pdf

BHPV is "accepting orders"

stompyq
22-Apr-2007, 17:07
Yep. That links about the only peice of information on the p1. Looks like no one has bought the head for the same concerns that i have.

Doug Dolde
23-Apr-2007, 09:50
Adorama and B&H both list them but as "not in stock".

stompyq
23-Apr-2007, 11:11
Doug didn't i see a older post about you ordering one? Did you get it? any thoughts? Or did i just imagine that?

Doug Dolde
23-Apr-2007, 13:49
I gave it up and cancelled the order after about 4 months.

joolsb
23-Apr-2007, 23:52
I briefly played with one recently at a show organised by Robert White in the UK. It's a beautifully engineered piece of kit with typical Arca smoothness. It certainly feels lighter than the Z1 and is considerably lighter than a Manfrotto 410. Didn't have a chance to try it with a camera, though, but I'm tempted, very tempted. It's only just been released so I guess production may not have caught up with demand yet.

I'm currently trying to justify getting one when the Novoflex MagicBall is nearly as good but costs a whole lot less....

Mattg
30-Jul-2007, 23:23
Has anyone else used one of these yet? I'm interested in whether the tension function works as smoothly as a regular head and whether it has a non-spherical ball to control weight off axis.