PDA

View Full Version : Burke and James 10 x 8 commercial view: opinions?

James Walker
22-Apr-2007, 10:59
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone out there has, or has experience of using, a Burke and James 10 x 8 commercial view, and what their opinion(s) of it are? This would be a first venture into this format; intended use would primarily be landscape - is it outrageously heavy?!?

Cheers,

James

John Kasaian
22-Apr-2007, 11:29
James,
I had a B&J 11x14. Its a very capable camera. The 11x14 was heavy but not too heavy so I'm guessing the 8x10 would be lighters but still I wouldn't want to hike the John Muir Trail with one & all the associated gear.

Two things to keep in mind:
1. B&Js tend to loosen up with age (as all cameras tend to do) Not a big thing IMHO, but if you're into uber-precision Linhofs or Sinars it can become a scource of irritation
2. You're going to need a tripod to support that 8x10. The usual 4x5 and MF tripods just aren't up to the task.

Have fun!

BradS
22-Apr-2007, 12:30
I think the B&J Commercial view is a fantastic value for what it is. It has full movements - both front and rear. It folds up to a relatively compact and luggable package (unlike a monorail). It is not significantly larger that nor is it significantly heavier than a Wisner or Zone VI in the same format. Yeah, people poo-poo these cameras. I think that the key is to find one that hasn't seen hard duty - as many seem to have. I've been fortuante enough to have a few beauties pass through my hands and I love mine. The only nit I can pick with the type are that the movements are not independent (tilt and rise are together as are swing and shift for example).

Kirk Fry
22-Apr-2007, 12:41
The old gray ANSCO/AGFA's fall into the same general catagory. Not very sexy but get the job done, usually.

K

Armin Seeholzer
22-Apr-2007, 14:09
Hi James

I love my Burke & James allot and it is not the nicest camera around, but mine was almost never used and it was in like new shape.
I had to tigten some screws and the rest was just perfect!
I prefer it outside over my Sinar 8x10 its much more handy, of course in my studio I prefer my Sinar no question about that!
And as James you should love the camera anyway!
The longest walk I did wit it was 3 miles, but if I would be younger it would not be limited at all!
Have a look thad you also get the expansion rail part, which is sometimes missing!
Without you can only use 480mm lenses!
If you have any specific question just ask!
Kind regards Armin Seeholzer

brook
22-Apr-2007, 14:36
They will get the job done, and are usually priced right. I dont mind a heavy camera if the weight means a solid stable camera, my B&J just has the weight. I tend to swear at mine.

Jan Pedersen
23-Apr-2007, 09:46
Had one for about a month. (8x10) Stripped it all apart and got rid of that ugly paint.
It is is think, one of the lesser used ones and i like it a lot. The fact that one can shoot 8x10 without breaking the bank is very attractive. The weight is about 15 pound so, yes a little on the heavy side but that is fine. A 5x7 reducing back should be in the mail so will soon be shooting 5x7 too.
Good luck, think you will like it.

Ruddy Roye
21-Nov-2007, 08:54
Does anyone know where I can locate an extension rail for my 8x10 Burke and James