PDA

View Full Version : Best bang for the buck scanner

Rider
21-Apr-2007, 17:36
Is there any competition right now for the Epson V750/V700?

Ted Harris
21-Apr-2007, 19:00
The discontinued Microtek 1800f if you can still find one.

Iskra 2
21-Apr-2007, 19:28
It depends. What are you scanning and for what end use? Perhaps a refurbed Epson 4870/4990.......:) Regards.

vinny
21-Apr-2007, 20:31
I've got a friend who purchased a howtek drum scanner for $800 on ebay a while back. It cam with one drum and the mounting station. It's huge but are you going to get a better scanner for the money?

JW Dewdney
21-Apr-2007, 20:39
There was a Crosfield on ebay several weeks back... I won it at $35 - can't do better than THAT bang-for-the-buck wise...! Understandably the seller didn't want to go through with it unless I ponied up another $1500 or so (which is INSANE even at that price!).

In case you're interested - and/or close to minnesota - the HOLY GRAIL of scanners is currently at $995 on ebay. Lino-Hell Chromagraph 3300 (!!!). It has a DMax of 15!

:)

Frank Petronio
22-Apr-2007, 07:45
Just look for an Epson 4990 for $250 or so.

If you get a drum scanner you probably should get two, one for parts. Plus a classic old Mac system (or two) to drive it.

Ted Harris
22-Apr-2007, 15:39
To add to waht Frank said if you get a drum scanner, or high end flatbed for that matter, be prepared for the possibility of spending some significant $$$ for software and aprts to get it running and keep it running. You coul dget lucky but not usually if you buy it cheap cheap.

Just as an example, remember that the software for many of these machines costs upwards of $2500.

Rider
22-Apr-2007, 18:09
I think a drum scanner is beyond my reach...(But it's good to know the option is there in case I quit my day job!) the Epson 4990 is selling for around 400; I haven't seen any reburbished ones for a while; For that kind of money, wouldn't the V700 be a better choice?

How about the new Microtek that's been promised for June--worth waiting for?

Frank Petronio
22-Apr-2007, 18:33
Well I haven't tried the 700 over my 4990, but I have had about every other generation of the Epsons and my casual opinion is it takes 3-4 years to really see a significant improvement in hardware... but sometimes something awesome comes along... I suspect the next generation will be pretty nice, the 710 or whatever.

I am sour on Microtek after trying two faulty 1800fs, even though the specs are very good I need a scanner that actually works... the Epsons have consistently been reliable, although I am sure they make a few lemons too.

Kirk Gittings
22-Apr-2007, 18:34
I think a refurbished 4990 is the best deal around. It is not as good as a 750 but reasonably close. The difference would not be seen until around a 16x20 or so. I actually think the mechanics of a 4990 are slightly better but the optics, sensor, and adjustability of the 750 is slightly superior.

Ted Harris
22-Apr-2007, 18:57
For the money Kirk is right on ..... you can get it for $309 including shipping from the Epson webite with a full one year warranty.

Scott Davis
22-Apr-2007, 20:27
The other reason to get the 750 over the 4990 is, if you don't already have Silverfast AI, and you don't have calibration software. The bundled software package with the 750 would set you back between $400 and $450 if you bought it separately. If you've already got it, then get the 4990. If not, the 750 would be worth considering as an investment.

Armin Seeholzer
23-Apr-2007, 02:58
Yes I also would go with the best which is around in this price range and buy a Epson 700 or 750.
I'm very happy with my 750, Armin Seeholzer

Rider
23-Apr-2007, 09:56
Ok, I've located the refurbished Epson 4990. A note on Epson's website says "This unit may not include the same software as new models."

This unit new would have come with "LaserSoft Imaging™ SilverFast® SE 6". Is this a good program?

Ted Harris
23-Apr-2007, 11:16
SilverFast SE is a very crippled "light" version of the software ..... if you don't have it you won't be missing anything.

Scott Davis
23-Apr-2007, 11:59
On a side note, if you've never used full version SilverFast AI, the Epson software that comes with the scanner, or can be downloaded for free from the Epson website, is pretty good. By comparison though, SilverFast AI is head and shoulders above. You'll see the difference.

Gene McCluney
23-Apr-2007, 13:03
Just a word of caution....don't go buying a "best bang for the buck" scanner and expect it to perform as well as a high-end one. This should be obvious, but I think many people have "expectations". There is always a trade off. Not all trade-offs are in image quality, some trade-off's are in mechanical robustness. Your ideal "best bang for the buck" scanner may not include the best software, or it may not be very mechanically robust, and break more easily, etc..

Ted Harris
23-Apr-2007, 13:23
What Gene says is true but a caveat .... here we are discussing the "best bang for the buck" among the various under $1000 'prosumer' flatbed scanners. As has been discussed in many other threads the price and quality ofoutput of these scanners v. that of the high end scanners is a difference of an order of magnitude in price and perhaps evenmroe in output quality. But, if you aren't printing larger than 11x14 or maybeeeeee 16x20 with some images, if you are not super critical of yoru output,if it is not for a client with a very critical eye and if you don't have the megabucks for the high end scanners then there is nothing wrong with the 'prosumer' machines ... just heed the caveats.

Rider
23-Apr-2007, 14:40
Thank you for bringing up the point re: expectations.

I have a dedicated film scanner (the Nikon Coolscan 5000) that I use for my 35mm slides. I generally am happy with 16x20 prints done with this combination.

Now if my 4x5 slides, scanned with an Epson 4990 or V750 flatbed, won't yield as good results as I'm used to getting from my 35mm slides, I see no reason to rush into digitizing my 4x5 work. I'll just wait for the next generation.

Can anyone venture a comparison of 35mm + Coolscan 5000 versus 4x5 + Epson flatbed?

Frank Petronio
23-Apr-2007, 15:39
I had earlier dedicated slide scanners and they are certainly the best way to go for 35mm, short of a high-high end drum with an expert operator. I used to hate sending slides out to printers with drums back in the old days because they would really mangel the film itself with the mounting. But nowadays I am sure the artisan scan makers would be more careful than a high production color shop.

The difference is that the 4x5, even off a lesser flatbed, will still smoke the best 35mm scan ten ways to Sunday. Big film trumps everything else, and you'll see the quality difference even from bad scans and elcheapo scanners.

Ted Harris
23-Apr-2007, 17:30
Frank is basically right .... a acan of a 4x5 negative from an Epson 4990 will be far superior to that of a 35mm from a Nikon 5000. Talk about a 6x7/6x9 from a Nikon 9000 and it is a different story.