PDA

View Full Version : Fujinon 240 F9

Terry Hull
20-Apr-2007, 06:45
I bought this lens this week, and find that compared to my newer lenses, it is difficult to change shutter speeds. The seller took the lens back and cleaned it, so that it is a little easier but still difficult. My question is do older lenses in general have this problem?

steve simmons
20-Apr-2007, 06:59
Should not be a problem. Is the seller qualified to do a shutter clean and adjust?

steve simmons

Terry Hull
20-Apr-2007, 07:18
The seller is an established shop in the NYC photo district with an internal repair capability. I guess I am wondering whether old lenses have tighter shutter mechanisms in general, or should a CLA restore such a lens so as to be similiar to modern lenses?

Don Hutton
20-Apr-2007, 07:33
The answer to your question is - no they shouldn't be significantly different to a modern lens when properly adjusted. I'm not sure how much you paid for the lens, but it is availabel new at places like Badger for around $700. If the seller isn't satisfying you, I'd consider returning it and getting a new lens. It's certainly one of those lenses where the overwhelming consensus is - awesome....

Ted Harris
20-Apr-2007, 07:58
What Don said and I will add that I own one of these lenses in a Copal shutter that is one generation back from the current shutters, that is it is a chrome ring but with the big 'teeth' and the shutter works flawlessly.

Terry Hull
20-Apr-2007, 08:14
I paid about $300

Don Hutton
20-Apr-2007, 08:26
$300 is an outstanding deal if it is a multicoated model (it is if the lettering is around the outside of the barrel; earlier single coated model if it is around the front element). Either way, if your seller doesn't sort it out, you may be better off sending it to someone like Carol Flutot or Paul Ebel - both charge around $50 for a CLA and it sounds like that will be all it needs. Porbably a worthwhile exercise anyway and then you have a lens with verified shutter speeds too.

Ted Harris
20-Apr-2007, 08:32
One more comment, if it is single coated and in a Seiko shutter then you might want to consider returning it. Seiko shutters are fine as long as they work but Steve Grimes, who, before his untimely death, was one of the masters of lens and shutter repair, once told me that Seiko shutters were among the msot difficult to repair and he often just kept old ones for parts.

Terry Hull
20-Apr-2007, 10:29
This is a copal shutter, single coated Fujinon -serial number 491971

Terry Hull
25-Apr-2007, 06:17
One last comment on this lens. I took it back again, and they will loosen it a second time. The seller asked me if Iknew that shutter tolerances on new lens are +- 30%.
Is this true, and if so wouldn't it mean each lens should come with its own tested speeds when purchased new?

Michael Graves
25-Apr-2007, 07:06
Quit letting the guy doink with it. You got a good enough deal that you can afford to let Carol Miller over at Flutot's CLA it for you. That'll make the shutter smoother and tighten up the tolerances.

steve simmons
25-Apr-2007, 08:01
I agree with Graves. How much are you spending in your time and energy on this matter. Newer shutters should work better than +/- 30%.

steve simmons

John Berry
25-Apr-2007, 09:23
You have the single coated one, better yet. Tolerances have nothing to do with your problem.

Eric Woodbury
25-Apr-2007, 09:56
I just timed my A240 in a Copal 0. This lens is almost new. I did it at f/9. Units are milliseconds. Shutter speeds go from 1 sec to 1/500.

931, 505, 262, 120, 69.1, 35.9, 17.4, 9.4, 5.2, 3.3

You work out the percentage.