PDA

View Full Version : springs for 8x10 back.

false_Aesthetic
19-Apr-2007, 05:34
Hey,

I've got an 8x10 agfa field camera (c 1950). The springs keeping the ground glass + film holder tight are not so good anymore.

Where might I order some new ones?

Thanks

T

Uli Mayer
16-May-2007, 01:08
What I would do first, provided the original springs are not broken and still cosmetically okay: I'd call a metal workshop that's specialized in hardening steel, or a seasoned gunsmith. They should be able to tell you whether and how the springs' former elasticity can be restored. It may be less time-consuming and cheaper to take this route than to look for "new" ones that actually may not fit by 100%.

Cheers
Uli

RichardRitter
16-May-2007, 03:29
Take the springs off and rebend then.

Donald Qualls
16-May-2007, 08:47
Folks who build cameras from scratch have reported that tines from metal leaf/lawn rakes (aka "broom rakes") make very nice springs for 4x5 spring backs. I'd presume a little creativity in mounting would let them function as well for 8x10, but can't be sure how they'd do in replacing originals from an old camera...

Frank R
16-May-2007, 13:59
Folks who build cameras from scratch have reported that tines from metal leaf/lawn rakes (aka "broom rakes") make very nice springs for 4x5 spring backs. I'd presume a little creativity in mounting would let them function as well for 8x10, but can't be sure how they'd do in replacing originals from an old camera...

You may be able to add a layer of this spring metal on top of the existing ones. Just make them shorter than the originals. You won't have to replace anything except maybe using longer screws. Cut to length, round the edges, drill holes to match, and install.

It would look like a two layer leaf spring like on a vehicle or trailer.