PDA

View Full Version : Half-Plate Revival: Konichiwa Konishi?

Rob_5419
18-Apr-2007, 16:53
There's been some fascinating half-plate cameras floating around recently particularly in this Spring buzz.

This one went on an auction site to a lucky Japanese bidder. Of course the Japanese collectors' market is as lively as the Japanese half-plate photographer's market:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130099592275&indexURL=1&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

It's described as a half-plate camera by "R Konishi & Co" manufactured before the second-world war. Complete minus lens. Even has the proper matching half-plate book form holders.

Was this a branch company of the old Konishirou company (modern day Konica-Minolta)? I gather Konica made large format lenses although I've not seen a Konica large format camera before.

I always hope these go to photographers rather than collectors, feeling a duty to bid them away from collectors no matter how futile that might be (it probably only drives up the collector's price and makes it even more elusive for the photographer ;( )

Rob_5419
18-Apr-2007, 17:00
PS - don't know if links to the above site are allowed - as I've noticed threads have been deleted for similar reasons.

This one isn't for sale in any case. It's already sold :(

Oren Grad
18-Apr-2007, 17:17
I've seen old wooden cameras labeled Konishiroku in Japanese. Assuming that's what this one is, yes, it's the same company that became Konica.

Jim Galli
18-Apr-2007, 18:34
There's been some fascinating half-plate cameras floating around recently particularly in this Spring buzz.

This one went on an auction site to a lucky Japanese bidder. Of course the Japanese collectors' market is as lively as the Japanese half-plate photographer's market:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130099592275&indexURL=1&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

It's described as a half-plate camera by "R Konishi & Co" manufactured before the second-world war. Complete minus lens. Even has the proper matching half-plate book form holders.

Was this a branch company of the old Konishirou company (modern day Konica-Minolta)? I gather Konica made large format lenses although I've not seen a Konica large format camera before.

I always hope these go to photographers rather than collectors, feeling a duty to bid them away from collectors no matter how futile that might be (it probably only drives up the collector's price and makes it even more elusive for the photographer ;( )

Rob, I have the identical camera and mine has the 21 cm Rokuoh-sha Tokyo Hexar Ser. 1 f4.5 which lends credence to your theory. Mine is near mint in it's original leather case with 2 japanese copies of the Thornton Pickard roller blind shutter and 6 original plate holders. Mine has a little fancier mounting for the tripod with a tilting table. I bought it to explore wet plate but it sits in it's case. It has 3 matching filters in little holders in the camera case, and the minty lens lives in it's original round leatherette case inside the outfit case. Available if anyone wants it.

Ernest Purdum
18-Apr-2007, 19:10
Rokuemon Konishi was a major pioneer of Japanese photography. He started out in 1873. The Company and its products have gone through many name changes before becoming Konica-Minolta. Cameras like the one described were made for the Japanese Navy anongst many other customers.

Hiro
18-Apr-2007, 20:23
Konica is (was, sadly) the oldest photographic equipment company in Japan. It started out with emulsions and plates, then cameras, darkroom stuff, lenses... Here's a rather comprehensive link about Konica:
http://www2f.biglobe.ne.jp/~ter-1212/sakura/index.htm
It's in Japanese, but maybe fun just to see photos and illustrations of old cameras and lenses. Some cameras used "R. Konishi" designation although, unfortunately, there's no picture of the camera on that auction.

Trivia:
- "Konishi" is the business name adopted by the founding family, the Sugiuras. "Rokuemon" is the hereditary name assumed by the head of the family. Mr. Sugiura who founded Konica was Rokuemon VI.
- In Japanese "roku" (as in Rokuemon, Konishiroku, Rokuoh-sha) means "six." The name of Konica's Hexar lens was derived from Greek (Latin?) hexa/hex (six).
- Konica (Konishiroku) founded Konishi Professional School of Photography, later to become Tokyo Polytechnic University, one of the best art schools in Japan.

Rob_5419
19-Apr-2007, 06:02
Rob, I have the identical camera and mine has the 21 cm Rokuoh-sha Tokyo Hexar Ser. 1 f4.5 which lends credence to your theory. Mine is near mint in it's original leather case with 2 japanese copies of the Thornton Pickard roller blind shutter and 6 original plate holders. Mine has a little fancier mounting for the tripod with a tilting table. I bought it to explore wet plate but it sits in it's case. It has 3 matching filters in little holders in the camera case, and the minty lens lives in it's original round leatherette case inside the outfit case. Available if anyone wants it.

Woohoo!

How much? I live in England btw ;)

The last thing I need is another camera....but I have a fondness for all things Konishiroku...Konishirou....Konishi....Konica...

Can I ask where you got it from?
How does the lens perform?

These are unheard of in England. I always imagine that they were captured off the shores of Japan by American service men at the end of the war and taken back to Japan. Or somehow there was a better trade agreement between Japan & the US in the post-1945 era.

Ernest & Hiro -

Thanks for the added information. It's fabulous to hear that Konica's legacy in the arts still lives on. It makes sense now where Rokuemon VI fits in too.

Hiro - are these popular in Japan still?

Jim Galli
19-Apr-2007, 06:55
Woohoo!

How much? I live in England btw ;)

The last thing I need is another camera....but I have a fondness for all things Konishiroku...Konishirou....Konishi....Konica...

Can I ask where you got it from?
How does the lens perform?

These are unheard of in England. I always imagine that they were captured off the shores of Japan by American service men at the end of the war and taken back to Japan. Or somehow there was a better trade agreement between Japan & the US in the post-1945 era.

Ernest & Hiro -

Thanks for the added information. It's fabulous to hear that Konica's legacy in the arts still lives on. It makes sense now where Rokuemon VI fits in too.

Here you go Rob.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/05-07-2006/Japan_0.jpg

$525 US includes shipping to UK

The roller blind shutters were made with black paper which is dead but easily rebuilt perhaps. I'll bet some of these came to california in the 1930's with Japanese immagrants? War spoils? Not sure. I bought it from a US seller on Ebay several years ago.

Rob_5419
19-Apr-2007, 07:50
Hi Jim,

thanks for posting - it looks really dainty.

A question though: how does the camera fit onto a tripod? There should be a spiral metal spread which locks into the metal disc and fits into the tripod, unless that is hidden behind the 90 degree wooden bracket holding the metal disc?

It's amazing that you have a set of matching film holders here. It will be a fantastic buy for anyone wanting to get into half-plate photography.

I've never repaired a Thornton Pickard shutter (end up paying a premium just to get a proper working one).

The only thing holding me back is that Ebony whole-plate camera which I'm going to take a lifetime to save up for at this rate...

Jim Galli
19-Apr-2007, 12:04
You'd have to make up a plate with a 1/4-20 center to adapt the old style open bottom. The other possibility I thought of was to reverse the tilt plate, iow put the 2 big opens face to face and you end up with a 1/4-20 for the tripod. Either way takes a little messing around. I had the photo handy because a few months back I was thinking of putting it on Ebay but every time I get it out and look at it, I don't have the heart to do that.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/05-07-2006/Japan_2.jpg

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/05-07-2006/Japan_1.jpg

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/05-07-2006/Japan_3.jpg

Hiro
19-Apr-2007, 13:48
R. Konishi fields and plates?
I wonder how many Japanese know Konica's early history. I stumbled upon the website when l was looking for info on some older cameras. Neither do I know anyone who actually uses plate cameras and odd formats (only collectors).
We've pretty much switched to vest pocket cameras (with millions of pixels). :p

Rob_5419
19-Apr-2007, 13:54
Hiro -

Konica's history is illustrious, if not neglected although we do have some idea of their innovations over the past century and over.

You know that Fuji still produce half-plate film (but not whole-plate film) as Fuji Acros?

There must be some niche of half-plate film users in Japan who like shooting with the vintage half-plate.

Jim - I feared as much. I have an unnamed plate camera which has a similar base unit and I had been scratching my head trying to figure out how to mount the camera with a large hole in its base. There must be a market for things like this, unless these cameras just sit on collectors' shelves..

The Konishi looks like it has a decent range of field movements as well.

Denis Pleic
19-Apr-2007, 14:26
Jim - I feared as much. I have an unnamed plate camera which has a similar base unit and I had been scratching my head trying to figure out how to mount the camera with a large hole in its base. There must be a market for things like this, unless these cameras just sit on collectors' shelves..

Rob,
I had the same problem - you can check what I did on apug.org:
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/22959-what-do-full-plate-chinese-deardorff.html

In short, the metal circular baseplate on mine was attached to the base with about eight wood screws - easy to unscrew and remove the metal base.
I just had a local machinist make me an aluminum base in the same dimension and with the screw holes in the exact spots as the original - the difference being that I had him bore a standard tripod screw hole in the new one.
I just screwed it on instead of the original - and presto! - a nice "standard" tripod mounting plate, without doing any damage to the camera!

It's not really difficult to do - I just made precise drawings and took both the drawings and the original metal plate to the machinist, who made me a new one within a few days.

Later I realized that I could have easily made the new aluminum base plate thinner (and lighter) - I solved the weight problem by having several large holes drilled in the new aluminum baseplate :)

I can upload a photo of the thing, if required...

Denis

Rob_5419
19-Apr-2007, 22:52
Thanks Denis -

that was an interesting read and a good solution too.

I was hoping for a kind of home-cobbled solution instead of machining another bit. In the images of your baseplate, it seems like someone had drilled multiple holes in a quadrant over the circular base plate.

I've never seen a base plate in this way - most of the baseplates have three Ninja style hooks which grapple onto the three metal lips and lock down through a set of screws.

A question too: is it safe to use a standard drill bill to work through aluminium metal as thick as this? I'm probably getting too shakey with a drill. The last lensboard I tried to drill a circular hole through looked like I was trying to fit an Easter egg through it.

Denis Pleic
19-Apr-2007, 23:58
In the images of your baseplate, it seems like someone had drilled multiple holes in a quadrant over the circular base plate.

Yep, must have been the previous owner with another DIY solution :(

A question too: is it safe to use a standard drill bill to work through aluminium metal as thick as this? I'm probably getting too shakey with a drill. The last lensboard I tried to drill a circular hole through looked like I was trying to fit an Easter egg through it.

I'm not sure - I had a machinist do that. Luckily those services aren't too expensive around here, so it was a no-brainer to have someone else with more skills do that (I don't do any metalwork).

The issue here was precision - the screw holes had to be bored at the exact same spots, to avoid drilling even more holes in the wooden base of the camera :)

Drilling aluminium shouldn't be much of a problem, provided you have a good drill and the appropriate bit. A drill press is a must, I guess, if you have problems handling a hand-held drill :) Also, the piece being drilled should be fastened/clamped well.

Denis

Ernest Purdum
20-Apr-2007, 08:32
Hiro, I haven't been in Japan for a long time, but I would be surprised if all the wedding/portrait photographers and those who stand outside of pilgrimage and tourist sites have abandoned the 1/2-plate. These were, and I suspect are, a very conservative bunch. Even into the 1960's, some were still using the rather hazardous individual tripod legs. They could still buy roller-blind shutters to hang on the front odf their Congo lenses in the early 1970's.

Rafael Garcia
20-Apr-2007, 08:59
I've posted my half-plate conversion to 4x5 and 5x7 before, so I won't bore you with the photos again. Mine is a Nagaoka predecessor branded "King I" by Asanuma Shokai (Asanuma & CO.), a giant Japanese distributor. I modified B&J backs to fit (some minimal routing) and had new bellows made for it. I also installed a new Satin Snow GG on it. For the baseplate I used a 3/8" plywood square with spirit levels on two sides and held in place by flathead bolts with their heads ground down to fit between the extensions and brass knurled nuts on the outside (bottom). There is a standard tripod thread insert centered on the baseplate. Because of the way these cameras fold/unfold, it does not make any sense to keep the lens and lensboard on them when folded, so I gave that up by the baseplate I described. If you search this website you can find photos I've posted before. The camera is very, very functional. My modifications did not alter the original parts in any way.

Hiro
20-Apr-2007, 15:48
Rob,
I know Fuji sells half-plate (and 2-1/2 x 3-1/2) Acros, and Tachihara sells an 8x10 plate holder. I'm sure there is a niche of people who actually use them. Just don't know (of) one, particularly when it comes to using glass plates.

Ernest,
True, and interesting point. In addition to some enthusiasts, commercial-types would be the prime suspects that support film sales. I do remember we stood before a "big 'un" for the graduation class photo in the 70's...also those elderly gentlemen at tourist sites, next to wooden legs with a black curtain draped over. But now...I don't know.

I'll ask wiser people about today's demography of LF equipment in Japan.

Martin Courtenay-Blake
21-Apr-2007, 01:13
Rob

Re: 21 cm Rokuoh-sha Tokyo Hexar Ser. 1 f4.5 .......watch Ebay carefully. One went on Ebay UK only a couple of months ago. I was going to bid for my half plate but as I was working away I missed it. Another may crop up...as I watch the large format kit almost religiously I'll let you know if one comes up.

Martin

Martin Courtenay-Blake
21-Apr-2007, 01:14
Rob

Re: 21 cm Rokuoh-sha Tokyo Hexar Ser. 1 f4.5 .......watch Ebay carefully. One went on Ebay UK only a couple of months ago. I was going to bid for my half plate but as I was working away I missed it. Another may crop up...as I watch the large format kit almost religiously I'll let you know if one comes up.

Martin

Rob_5419
21-Apr-2007, 11:20
I'm not sure - I had a machinist do that. Luckily those services aren't too expensive around here, so it was a no-brainer to have someone else with more skills do that (I don't do any metalwork).

The issue here was precision - the screw holes had to be bored at the exact same spots, to avoid drilling even more holes in the wooden base of the camera

Drilling aluminium shouldn't be much of a problem, provided you have a good drill and the appropriate bit. A drill press is a must, I guess, if you have problems handling a hand-held drill Also, the piece being drilled should be fastened/clamped well.

Denis

Hi Denis,

I think you're right - it's probably better to get it probably machined than trying a home-made effort.

It cost me £25.00 to get a hole drilled in a metal lens board. It seems machining costs vary dramatically across the country here.

Rob,
I know Fuji sells half-plate (and 2-1/2 x 3-1/2) Acros, and Tachihara sells an 8x10 plate holder. I'm sure there is a niche of people who actually use them. Just don't know (of) one, particularly when it comes to using glass plates.
- Hiro

Fuji sells 2 1/2 x 3 1/2" film too??? Wow. I didn't know that. Haven't really got anything to use it with, but maybe now's the time....

- Martin

I already have 6/12 - 8 1/2 inch lenses for the half-plate camera I've fallen in love with. I'm not really a two-timing kind of person, so maybe I should stop fantasising about the Konishi and return to my own half-plate camera...

Thanks for the suggestions - if you have any feedback on the lens I'd love to know. Owning more than 1 lens isn't quite the same as owning two half-plate cameras ;)

Thanks Martin -

I quite liked the Hexar in Jim's half-plate Konishi. It looks like Jim's got a Konishi before it's been dissected apart by various buyers.

Bernard Kaye
3-May-2007, 23:58
Please tell me what is meant in inches or centimeters by "Half Plate." I may get a 13 x 18cm camera with 6 double cut film holders: 5 x 7" is 3mm. shorter and 2.2mm. narrower than 13 x 18cm; I will try to fabricate thin, really thin, masks to fit into the holders and hope the film, which I hope is not as thick as 1920-1930 film will slide in between mask and cut film holder body: I will lose 1/4" to 3/8" or so in both dimensions but 4 3/4 x 6 3/4" is a respectable image size, for me, largest I ever shot was 4 x 5"", most was 120 (2 1/4 x 3 1/4") or 35mm. All comments welcome; anticipating the 13 x 18cm camera, I have Tilt-All set up in bedroom; loving wife understands me, a constant problem.

Ole Tjugen
4-May-2007, 00:50
Bernard,

When the "Imperial" world were shooting half-plate, the Germans were using 13x18cm.

Without knowing a little bit more about your camera and holders I can't answer any questions - I shoot 5x7" and 13x18cm in a "modern" camera, as well as 13x18cm film and plates in an old plate camera.

I suggest you start a new thread with a little bit more information about your camera. :)

Ernest Purdum
4-May-2007, 09:07
"Half-Plate" is 6 1/2" X 4 3/4" which is silly since it isn't really one half of a "Whole-Plate". In centimeters it is roughly 16.5 X 12, a little smaller than the Continental 13 X 18cm or the American 5" X 7" which is roughly 12.7 X 17.8cm.

As a curiosity, there used to be a "Double Quarter-Plate" How's lthat for a weird name?

Bernard Kaye
4-May-2007, 20:39
Ole, You are my Guardian Angel. The camera is paid for and on its way; I expect it this week, (week of May 6th). If it is what I expect, I will first tell you, Ernest and Don, then start a new thread.
Where do you buy 13 x 18cm. film? What emulsions are available?
Kodak has only one Tri X and one T Max in 5 x 7", no color.
If I can use 5 x 7, it will be easier to use the camera; finding a good local processor may be a problem; my sons and I no longer have the dark room we built when they were about 9 and 11, went past me in enlarging technique. LFPF is great. Bernie

Bernard Kaye
4-May-2007, 21:07
Ole, I meant to say that using 13 x 18cm. would make it easier to use camera, not 5 x 7 which I will somehow use if 13 x 18cm is not available Bernie

Ole Tjugen
5-May-2007, 07:10
Bernard, since I live in Europe I odrer films from Germany. At present there is Ilford FP4+ and HP5+, Fuji Provia 100F, Kodak E100G, EPP 100, EPR 64, and EPY 64T listed - in addition to the "usual offerings" from MACO, EFKE, ADOX and FOMA.

Since that list includes 3 of my 4 favorite films (the fourth was APX100, but I still have six packs of 25 in the freezer), I wouldn't say I have a problem getting 13x18cm film.

I do all processing myself in a JOBO CPE-2 - in print developing drums. :)

Bernard Kaye
12-May-2007, 00:24
This is the third time I try to post this, three questions:
(1) How to determine which 5 x 7inch and 13 x 18cm. emulsions are available wordwide, prices, ordering, delivery costs, etc.?
(2) Name of compound mentioned by member to close tears or repair thin spots in bellows, available at hobby shops?
(3) Who might have an 85-90 year old instruction booklet for an ICA or Zeiss Ikon 13 x 18cm. Universal Juwel or know how to operate the lens board quick release knob.

Thank You, Bernie

D

Bernard Kaye
12-May-2007, 10:23
I figured out how to operate the quick release button for changing lens boards on the Juwel, simplicity itself; I was looking for complexity.
Still could use an instruction booklet for a 13 x 18cm. Juwel.

Bernie

Bernard Kaye
12-May-2007, 20:55
Just saw, read and appreciate next thread about repair & patching of bellows. Thank all of you.
The instruction book for 13 x 18cm. ICA-Zeiss Juwel: A desciption of its features in catalogue states that it has both back and front swings. I think the term "swing" is not same as U. S. term; it has front verticle and horizontal shift, front tilt pointing up and down and front drop bed but though It has a rotating back, I do not see a back swing. Zeiss called a drop bed a swing back, achieved by rotating the camera on its side.
Maybe the instruction booklet explains the back swing?
Does anyone have experience with this camera?
Bernie

Bernard Kaye
20-May-2007, 21:41
Does anyone know if B & S is in business? No answer to emails. Bernie

linhofbiker
29-May-2012, 09:10
I have a 1/4 plate version of this camera type. It is a Military Lily from 1936/7. I have never seen one like it since it has a back for double sided holders in 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 just like the WW2 Speed Graphic in that size. The lens is a 135cm f/4.5 Hexar. Look on photo.net > classic manual cameras > old Konica 3 1/4 x 4 1/4.

Jim Jones
29-May-2012, 20:23
Linhofbiker, I have it's big brother, a military kabine size (12 x 16.5cm) with a disintegrating fiberboard case, six double sided plate holders, lens hood, and two filters. Despite being dated June, 1944, it seems well constructed and in fine condition except for the lens cap, case, and the focal plane shutter which is jammed with the one visible curtain wrinkled. The lens is a somewhat hazy Hexar 18cm f/4.5 with many blades. Some military gear that late in the war shows hasty construction, but the Rokuosha factory still had pride in their workmanship. Pictures of this model are at http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Idea_Spring