PDA

View Full Version : Toyo Field camera

Pronier Jean Claude
17-Apr-2007, 00:28
Bonjour
I'm looking for informations about Toyo field camera 43/4 x 6 1/2 format.
It seems that ordinary 5x7 film holder fit with camera back.
The camera looks like the famous Ritreck view.
thanks for some infos.
jean claude

Ernest Purdum
17-Apr-2007, 15:20
It's difficult to be sure about without much more information, but It sounds like what the Shiro Photo Co. described as the "World's first all-metal field camera, professional cabinet size". I don't know when it was introduced, but it was available in the early 1970's. Backs were available to take from 6x9cm up to 5" X 7". It was much like you might expect from the claim, A wooden Japanese field camera derived from English origins translated into all-metal construction. It had the moderate movements expected of one of the better Japanese field cameras of the day. An extensive line of accessory items was available.

Oren Grad
17-Apr-2007, 16:12
Ordinary 5x7 film holders do not fit the standard camera back. There is a 5x7 back, but it's very scarce. There's also a 4x5 back, which is much more common. I've never seen the 6x9cm back.

The camera bears some resemblance to the Rittreck, which is of similar vintage. It's much lighter than the Rittreck, but the Rittreck can accept adapter backs for larger sizes, including whole plate, 6x10 and 8x10.