PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Color Compensating Gelatin Filters

Simon Benton
16-Apr-2007, 20:02
I have a whole bunch of Kodak 2 inch Color Compensating filters. Codes on them are CC30Y, CC20Y, CC10G etc etc. (Over 34 in all) Are these any use to anyone before I throw them out - I have had them for quite some time and know I will never use them.

Ed Breaker
17-Apr-2007, 08:42
I would greatly appreciate receiving these filters! I am extremely interested and will put them to good use. I have been reading a book about filters by Joseph Meehan.

Please contact me asap so we could set up delivery. I would be greatly interested in receiving them and putting them to use.

Ash
17-Apr-2007, 08:44
But Ed, would you really use them? lol

Gene McCluney
17-Apr-2007, 09:23
CC filters were/are primarily used to fine tune the color balance of images shot on Color Transparency film. In fact, there was a period in Kodak transparency film production where each box had a CC filter recommendation to achieve neutral balance. It seems that tighter manufacturing tolerances now do not require this, as the film, if fresh, and shot and processed within its design parameters produces neutral results.

But, in any case, the only real reason for CC filters on the camera lens was to adjust the color balance of color transparency films. Color negative films can be adjusted in the darkroom when prints are made. CC filters are for minor adjustments..not for broad strokes, like shooting daylight film under tungsten, or shooting tungsten or daylight balance film under flourescent lights. There are specific filters for this.

Ash
17-Apr-2007, 09:54
They really would have helped on King Soloman's Mines.

What awful colour rendition!

Gene McCluney
17-Apr-2007, 10:01
They really would have helped on King Soloman's Mines.

What awful colour rendition!

Are you talking about the movie "King Soloman's Mines"?? or something?

Theatrical Films shot in the 1950's and 1960's have suffered dramatically from negative fading due to Kodak colour movie negative film being very unstable during this period. Attempts to "restore" correct color are sometimes successful, sometimes not.

Ash
17-Apr-2007, 10:03
yep, I'm watching it right now.
I'm quite the fan of classic films. Unfortunately this film has the same kind of colours as I see when I stare wide-eyed on a sunny day, without sunglasses - washed out and kinda blue.

Gene McCluney
17-Apr-2007, 10:20
yep, I'm watching it right now.
I'm quite the fan of classic films. Unfortunately this film has the same kind of colours as I see when I stare wide-eyed on a sunny day, without sunglasses - washed out and kinda blue.

I can guarantee you that when this (or any colour film) was new, it had stunning color. I quite well remember attending the cinema as a child in the 1950's, and seeing beautiful color. After all, the very best technicians worked on film productions at the studios. It is just fading of the original negatives, and fading of the release prints that you are experiencing. Colour is not permanent.