PDA

View Full Version : Experience with dividers in Pelican cases?

Ed Richards
16-Apr-2007, 16:39
I am considering a big (1610) Pelican case with their divider system to keep camera stuff in for the trunk. Looks deep enough to put an F2 in lying down, plus a bunch of other stuff. Anyone have experience with these? Are the dividers pretty well attached, i.e., if the case gets turned on it's side while I am dodging vermin with the Jeep, will everything end up at one end of the case?

JW Dewdney
16-Apr-2007, 17:27
Suppose it'd work - not sure how you're planning on doing it. I love (and use) the big grey sinar cases. Surprising how well it works. Maybe get some custom-cut foam for the job...

Pete Skerys
17-Apr-2007, 03:07
I've got an old pelican (unsure of model) in which i keep my Zone Vi 810, a couple of lenses, light meter, dk cloth, filters etc. It was owned by a local pro. I'm not sure what they use for a divider system these days - mine;s got pretty basic neoprene-like foam covered boards with uniform slots that slot into like slots around the edges of the case. I also use some dense foam as additional padding 'round my lenses. I reckon it's in the safest place possible for my gear (this side of a road case). Anything more substantial would be too heavy to lift. If you're really concerned send 'em an email requesting a brochure etc. I don't think you'd be disappointed.
While you're looking I'd recommend getting a fold-up hand trolly to help take the load - I got one from a local hardware store that works a treat - it even carries my not-insubstantial tripod.
good luck
pete

bsimison
17-Apr-2007, 04:55
I use a Pelican 1560 roller case to transport my lighting gear in checked baggage when I have to fly for commercial jobs, and I haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood). I think any abuse the trunk of your car can dish out will be an order of magnitude lower than the capabilties of your standard airline baggage handler.

They use closed-cell foam padding covered in velcro hook-and-loop fasteners. Once configured, the dividers stay put.

eric black
17-Apr-2007, 05:20
The dividers work very well but for the first several uses you may want to put your equipment in plastic baggies of some sort as any rubbing by your equipment on the fuzzy sides will result in some of it sticking to your equipment- alternatively you could give them a good going over with a vacuum and a lint roller- I have several of the cases and they are one of the best ways to ship equipment- very durable.

Ed Richards
17-Apr-2007, 17:55
Thanks for the info! Sounds like an hour in the clothes dryer set to air, no heat, might be a good way to dust the dividers.

Eric James
17-Apr-2007, 19:36
Thanks for the info! Sounds like an hour in the clothes dryer set to air, no heat, might be a good way to dust the dividers.

That might be the case, but I would be inclined to wipe down the inside of the dryer with a cloth soaked in a dilute bleach solution and run it empty on high heat before doing so.

Ed Richards
17-Apr-2007, 19:49
> That might be the case, but I would be inclined to wipe down the inside of the dryer with a cloth soaked in a dilute bleach solution and run it empty on high heat before doing so.

Been drying the hops in the clothes dryer?

Eric James
17-Apr-2007, 20:14
Okay, you caught me!

My backyard is swampland in April, and the three dogs track in all forms of mutated coliforms and fungus spores. I've been doing a load of "dog towels" three times a week, and I firmly believe that: "what goes in the dryer, stays in the dryer". I would no sooner de-dust my new Pelican case liner in my dryer, than dust off my lenses with a "dog towel". Maybe I need to look into an Rx for fluvoxamine, but - so far - there's not a fungus amongus lenses in my Pelicans:)

Speaking of fungus, sealing up your precious gear in a watertight compartment can backfire - particularly on field trips when things get wet. I always try to have fresh silica gel cartridges at the ready.

Ed Richards
18-Apr-2007, 10:20
> sealing up your precious gear in a watertight compartment can backfire - particularly on field trips when things get wet. I always try to have fresh silica gel cartridges at the ready.

Good point I had not thought about. Pelican makes a nice silica gel pack for the cases. It has a perforated metal housing and you throw it in the oven to recharge.