PDA

View Full Version : cams and camera movements

adrian tyler
16-Apr-2007, 11:35
hello folks, can i rely on the rangefinder focussing on the linhof technika if i am using camera movements... probably a silly question...

for example whilst making a portrait with the camera pointing down, i may correct the perspective by applying back tilt on the front and back standards, should i forget abot the rangefinder in these circumstances?

thanks

adrian

Bob Salomon
16-Apr-2007, 11:40
No. Not with movements.

David A. Goldfarb
16-Apr-2007, 12:01
And how would you be able to check the effect of the movements without using the groundglass anyway?

Ed Richards
16-Apr-2007, 12:04
Depends on the movement. You can use rise, you can even judge the rise if you use the wire frame finder, or you can just guess.

Rob_5419
16-Apr-2007, 13:13
Not in Adrian's case:

for example whilst making a portrait with the camera pointing down, i may correct the perspective by applying back tilt on the front and back standards, should i forget abot the rangefinder in these circumstances?

Bob's succinct answer makes more sense. At the end of the day, a rangefinder unit is a focussing tool for gauging how far (distance) a visual subject is.

With Adrian's desired movements, at best the rangefinder focussing will only be an uncontrolled approximation depending on the degree of movements.

Some people like the pot-luck effect that this can have - that is, either an interesting or chance result (like a lensbaby).

adrian tyler
16-Apr-2007, 13:30
... yeah i though so, thanks.